Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
250 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 249

Rob, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
OSD in OS4?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Just wondering if it is possible to implement "OSD" in OS4:
To display some message above all the graphics (with option to define font/size/position).
Not just some window on specific screen, but above all screens.

Afaik, there's nothing like this yet.

TIA,
Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: OSD in OS4?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

AmiDock uses transparency, as do other items. Probably the easiest way to do this would be via a borderless window with an alpha channel. Just don't ask me how to enable transparency on windows.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

No, not window. The goal is to display some stuff above the topmost screen, like stationary sprite...

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
AmiDock doesn't really use transparency, and I don't know if it's even possible to use alpha in an Amiga window. What Amidock does is grab a piece of the screen the same size and position as the window it's about to open, and puts that image in the background of the window to give the impression of transparency. That's pretty easy to do programming-wise, and you could even pop open a "stay on top" window on the frontmost screen if you liked - on a graphics card colour matching shouldn't be that important.

Without OS support for true alpha windows/screens I don't see how you'd do it on top of any screen, though it would be a nice feature...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Maybe OS4 devs could add TOPMOST option to RequestChoice DOS command.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@Hans

No, not window. The goal is to display some stuff above the topmost screen, like stationary sprite...

It's not like anyone will know if it's a window or not. I'm just thinking about how to implement it. Drawing directly to the screen's rastport is rather naughty, and shouldn't be done. I don't know if you can create a layer (i.e., a layers.library layer) without it being a window. Using a window would be the easiest method to get the job done. Finding out which screen is on-top should be fairly easy too, and then you just need to worry about screen scrolling.

@Daedalus

Are you sure? Icons can have transparency too, as do pop-up menus (or menus in general). I know that the effect is incomplete as the background behind the window doesn't update, but, that doesn't mean that it has to be manually implemented via screen-grabs.

Hans

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@Daedalus

Are you sure? Icons can have transparency too, as do pop-up menus (or menus in general). I know that the effect is incomplete as the background behind the window doesn't update, but, that doesn't mean that it has to be manually implemented via screen-grabs.

check: stefans comment about transparency in amidock

byebye...

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
Using a window would be the easiest method to get the job done. Finding out which screen is on-top should be fairly easy too, and then you just need to worry about screen scrolling.

You might get problems if the top screen isn't a custom screen.

You could open a small screen on top of the top screen, at the bottom (a bit like DPaint's palette changer thingy). However, this will obliterate a lot of the screen, and even blank it if it isn't the same resolution as the one you just opened (OS4 doesn't do mode coercion like OS3 could AFAIK)

I offer no opinion on layers.library as I've never used it and have no idea what a layer in AmigaOS terms even is!

Why do you need to do this btw?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
The goal is to display some stuff

What kind of stuff ? Normal window or something else ?

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Some text message for starters, without stealing the focus, then go away after 5 seconds or so.
Like osd in linux/X11:

echo "some text" | osd_cat -p middle -A center

Resized Image
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
There is a pretty simple OSD command included with HauppaugeIR on my website. I have no idea if it works on OS4 (HauppageIR itself definately won't, but OSD might).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

Hmmmm... I guess you could be right. There seems to be proper support for transparency in the icon library, just Amidock "feels" like it cuts out the background - like so many programs I've written which do a similar thing for transparency. It's entirely possible that there's a function to do this in a library somewhere, but it needs some work if so.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

I uploaded a new version of ShowMsg to os4depot. It has some new command line options. For example there's TOPMOST option to show a requester on a top most screen.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

That was quick
But I need it on whatever the topmost screen there is...
Actually it's for AMuse (to display the change of the tune while on other-than-workbench screen)
is there a timeout ?(like in requestchoice).

@Xeron
Same here, WB screen only

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
to display the change of the tune while on other-than-workbench screen

One other option is you can use ScreenMonitor on another screen to watch what's happening on WB (or any other screen). Is that other-than-workbench screen always a public screen ?

Quote:
is there a timeout ?

No. (Not yet.)

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

One other option is you can use ScreenMonitor on another screen to watch what's happening on WB (or any other screen). Is that other-than-workbench screen always a public screen ?

Just saw "dprun" on Xeron's page, and it allows running a program on public screen.
I tried with AWeb: all's well. Then I tried with Cygnix - seems to be not a public one...

Edit:
definitely not public, KCon can't jump there.

Edit2:
What about sprite idea?
To draw into a bitmap and pass it as sprite....

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
Edit2:
What about sprite idea?
To draw into a bitmap and pass it as sprite....
On most gfx cards there is only a single sprite, i.e. you'd have to replace the mouse pointer, it's way too small to display any readable text in it and has only 2 colours.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

I think it's possible to force a custom screen as public screen using Screens prefs editor.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Daedalus

Quote:

Daedalus wrote:
@Hans

Hmmmm... I guess you could be right. There seems to be proper support for transparency in the icon library, just Amidock "feels" like it cuts out the background - like so many programs I've written which do a similar thing for transparency. It's entirely possible that there's a function to do this in a library somewhere, but it needs some work if so.

Well, even if the API is there, it's still fake transparency. Real transparency would need changes made to the layers library so that it does proper compositing. It would also require the graphics system to support hw-accelerated alpha blending or it would be slow.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

I think it's possible to force a custom screen as public screen using Screens prefs editor.

Will ask Edgar if it will harm Cygnix functionality.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »