Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
166 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
BasiliskII
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Has anyone tried to port basiliskII on OS4 ?
I saw there is a morphos port.

The point is that there is a decent browser on mac 68k called icab which could fill the browser gap until something is released (paihia, ibrowse, sputnik, amizilla)

Go to top
Re: BasiliskII
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Lio
thats a good question i wondered myself if this was possible
but dismissed it as i thought no browser for classic mac would have done the job
i totaly forgot about Icab

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
Quote:
Lio wrote:
Has anyone tried to port basiliskII on OS4 ?
I saw there is a morphos port.

The point is that there is a decent browser on mac 68k called icab which could fill the browser gap until something is released (paihia, ibrowse, sputnik, amizilla)

This sounded interesting to me, so I thought I'd give it a try (icab on Basilisk).

While it is technically possible to browse sites with css, etc. like this -- it's not practical.

icab constantly freezes for 10-15 seconds at at time and chokes on almost every site I tried (including Amigans.net) -- I have much better success with IB 2.3 than I did with icab.

The 68k version is also out of date and has incomplete implementations of css, javascript, etc.

Screenshot

A mini-review of icab on 68k:
Review

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Did you try on a real Amiga under basilisk II ?

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
Quote:

Lio wrote:
Did you try on a real Amiga under basilisk II ?

No -- I used the Windows version of Basilisk II.

iCab appeared to be having trouble with javascript (and suffering an icomplete implementation of CSS1).

Basilisk for OS4 would be cool -- but it's not a practical web browsing solution.

Keep in mind that the MOS version of Basilisk has some issues (also can't run MacOS8x) -- so an OS4 version is likely to be more than a simple "recompile".

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@klesterjr
I use Icab under MOL (9.2) on my A1, it runs fine, in fact it is better than most other browsers available for Mac.

cheers

ace

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
Quote:

acefnq wrote:
@klesterjr
I use Icab under MOL (9.2) on my A1, it runs fine, in fact it is better than most other browsers available for Mac.

cheers

ace

Different animal.

The PPC version (3.0) is supposed to be very good -- but the 68k version is old.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
now thats a very good point klesterjr i too was thinking of the ppc version of icab not realizing we need the 68k version
will be interesting to see if it works
anyone up to the job ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yeh, agree. Stupid me, I should have realised that............................
Gee wouldn't Mac0nAmiga be good-:)

ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

klesterjr wrote:

Different animal.

The PPC version (3.0) is supposed to be very good -- but the 68k version is old.

Yup, I recently tried ICab with Shapeshifter on my 1200 060 Voodoo3 Amiga. IBrowse (and probably any other Amiga browser) flies in comparison.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all
I guess then the story is not all bad here. ICab has gone on from 68k to PPC and has developed into a very nice broweser for a limited audience, is there any way it could be redirected at AOS4 and synergies achieved?

ace

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@All

how much work in porting Icab ppc to os4 ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I ported BasilisKII last year to OS4 (before doing the quick port of Bochs).

The GUI isn't finished yet (my listbrowser is crashing), sound works and gfx in 32bit/monochrome too. I'm not sure about network working (it probably will require vlink.device from aminet or disabling the normal connection). It's not much work, but it has to be done.

There are a pair of betatesters using it.

Development stopped because I have been unable to use my A4000 all this year. Now that my A4000 seems to work, I have ordered an ide<->uwscsi adaptor to replace my 2 dead barracudas :_(

If someone is really, really interested in trying it out I may send him an old version (but as I did some experiments blindly without having a working machine I hope I find the right version and not a test one).

If there's interest about it I could upload a pre-release with limited features so people can enjoy photoshop 4 ;-P

And yes, being an StarCraft fan I checked out also SheepShaver but its sources are very dirty compared to BasiliskII. It also uses some memory mapping functions that make it harder to port (just if you don't have a clue about mmap/os4mem apis like me...)

@klesterjr

my OS4 port was done quickly thanks to the MorphOS port. Lots of thanks to Itix for his hard work porting it!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@crumb

Please keep up the good work

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Crumb

I have head big problems geting BasilisKII working under E-UAE, so think a native version is going to rock!!

Edited by LiveForIt on 2006/12/20 0:34:58
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Running BasiliskII on UAE? That sounds pretty masochistic. I tried Basilisk II on my CSPPC+Voodoo3 and it didn't feel slow. I didn't test it much but it should be *much* faster than running it through UAE.

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
Quote:
Crumb wrote:
Running BasiliskII on UAE? That sounds pretty masochistic.

Naaaawww!

I have PCTask running Windows 3.11 & Shapeshifter running Mac OS8.1 -- both on UAE (and both very nicely, I might add).

I have no real use for Windows 3.11 (Solitaire anyone?) -- but Shapeshifter gives me Photoshop 4!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@crumb

Your work on Basilisk sounds great... Sorry your 4000's illness
got in the way.

I would be very interested in testing it out on my A1. Please let
me know if you'd like another betatester! Otherwise, it would be
great if you could post a progress snapshot to OS4Depot.

For many years. I ran Shapeshifter with various productivity apps
(CAD, Word, etc) demanded for work. I think folks underestimate
the possible productivity crutch classic Mac emulations offer
(particularly a PPC Mac) till we get new Amiga productivity apps.

Ever take a look at Sheepshaver? Without a 68k emulator, might it
be an easier(?) "next step"?

Thanks!

PJS

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Crumb

Quote:

@LiveForIt

Running BasiliskII on UAE? That sounds pretty masochistic. I tried Basilisk II on my CSPPC+Voodoo3 and it didn't feel slow. I didn't test it much but it should be *much* faster than running it through UAE.

It where quite slow, on classic Amiga, Mac emulation is done by patching the Mac rom?s so there is not CPU emulation to think of, the problem is really the disk access speed of all things, emulating disk scsi as disk image on top of emulated filesystem.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Why didn't you use a portion of your actual hard drive?

I can't say much for basilisk, but When I had my A1200T and Dual 040/PPC card (040@25mhz) I recall that both Shapeshifter and Fusion were quite usable because I dedicated a portion of my hard drive as a mac. Image files are very, very slow.

Visit my old site, http://maconamiga.amigaworld.net it has everything on there for classic mac emulation.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »