Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Returning amigan. Go oldschool or newschool?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Just to introduce me since this is my first post. for the question, scroll to "But now".

I was born in '77. my father who was a radio enthusiast and in a magazine for related electronics he saw an ad for a computer. He invested in a vic 20 and when the c64 came out he was one of the first to secure one. So I grew up with the c64 and when I finally had saved up enough money I bought the amiga 500 with james pond bundle. Have to say, the upgrade from the c64 and the xt pc we had at that time to the amiga 500 was amazing. Not to mention the operative system was as everyone knows so far ahead at the time.

As a young student, I lusted for a amiga 4000 but when I finally could afford one commodore plunged. So I went the route into the PC world I sweared I would never take back in the days - but I kept to os2, then freebsd then linux just because I never liked the experience windows gave me. But due to work I am now using a Windows computer. Even though my longest running primary computer was a thinkpad running freebsd and amiwm. A very lightweight window manager that emulates the workbench 2.0 look and feel.

But now...

for some reason I have started to really lust after a secondary computer that runs amiga os and I am torn between the thought of getting a beefed up classic or a amigaone which doesn't sound like runs much of the software of my beloved computer past.

I do have a Amiga CD32 - so most of my favorite games I can play. Not that I seem to find a way to run North & south but most of the rest do.

So what I see is to either beef up a a1200 or a a4000 - or go for an amigaOne or like. Now the AmigaOne seem to be the most "future proof" if you call a very small niche marked anything like that. But the upgraded a1200 or a4000 is at least what feels most like the real heritage.

So what to do what to do?

Go to top
Re: Returning amigan. Go oldschool or newschool?
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@moijk

You can't get an A1 now other than second hand anyway. So staying with your 68k amiga for the time being is probably the best thing to do.

But whichever rocks your boat, choose whatever seems most fun to you :)

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@moijk

Buy a New Amiga:

Way:

* It?s the only way to get modern web browser.

* CPU power is also a problem if like to run any thing besides classic games.

* It?s the only thing that does make economical sense, if you buy classic you need x,y,z upgrades to be happy about graphic and sound, when you buy modern computer you get perfect sound and graphics all in one box, not need for any thing extra upgrades.

Some say the lack of chipset, makes AmigaOnes less of an Amiga, but I say it does not matter any more, AmigaOne can emulate classic Amiga500 hardware at good speed, maybe not prefect it depends on the game.

whit a nice E-UAE setup you can start any game from your desktop just like some did whit WHDLoad, basically that plus who won?t play around whit floppy disks this days?

Edited by LiveForIt on 2008/3/10 17:34:01
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi moijk,

You couldn't have come to the righter place at the righter time, check out the "NatAmi".

Should be available this summer.

This is THE Amiga!

ONLY a new modern 68060 if ever out in a 2GHz form factor is what could be desired more as an upgrade.

Amiga, a most peculiar phenomenon!

Oh and, welcome to Amigans.Net.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@moijk

I'd go for an second hand A1. I never regret that. After my A4k went belly up several years ago i didn't do much with any computers really,until a friend of mine showed me his (then) new A1. I lent if for some days and it was like a drug :) Now i have two of them.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
> You couldn't have come to the righter place at the righter
> time, check out the "NatAmi".

First, thank for the warm welcome.

Second, out of the little information available on the natami I must admit I got impressed by the similarities of what it is trying to accomplish and what I as a amiga fan with professional ties to the pc platform is looking for.

The modern approach seem a little bit more chaotic at the moment too. not that I have understood that much yet, but seeing how the a1 is not available I am left to be amazed by what is in the pipeline. But I am curious about the price point, since this seem to include a lot of low volume custom components.

I'll keep a tight watch at that website, and ofcourse here if anything moves around that project into here.

In the meantime I have my amiga cd32. could someone remake the sx-32?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@moijk

the NetAMI will be expensive, I'm interested in it too, like to see it live.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

> the NetAMI will be expensive, I'm interested in it too, like to see it live.

Well, depends what is expensive. More expensive than picking up a similar specced oldskool a4000 w/060 board, scandoubler and all that - and I will do that (or go the a1 route)

So I am quite curious about the pricing.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@moijk

Oh,forgot... Welcome

And if you get an a4k with ppc card you can run os4 too.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

> And if you get an a4k with ppc card you can run os4 too.

Feel free to point me in the direction of one here in Norway ;)

Amiga CD32 - From the time games were fun
My Powerbook 12" is waiting for a OS4 port to Mac
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Comment to Antique only:

he he you can sell your broken Amiga4000 to him?

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Perfect sound?

Must be yours cause on my Amiga One the SB128 card gives me buzzy and ugly sound most of the time and more that I would like.

That's the reason I am thinking about buying an ESI JULI that I heard on AmigaWorld.net is far better than the Soundblaster128 for games and video streaming for example.

Edited by MamePPCA1 on 2008/3/11 1:31:07
Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@moijk

I am interested in NatAMI too but I am now really addicted to my Amiga One.

It's special but I have a problem with UAE as it is too slow and give me errors when its loading MagicMenu,Birdie and other I think on the HD file,so I am missing the games
and other things too.

Go and buy anything Amiga cause I think they are all so pretty and cool.

My recomendation is the Amiga One that comes with AmigaOS 4.0 and there is plenty of great emulators and modern browsers is coming too!!In fact there is an alpha version of it and other browser that you may discover but surely I think it will come for the Amiga One.

I heard somewhere that the estimation speed of an Amiga One at 800 Mhz of speed was like a 3200 Mhz PC.

What do you think about this?

If not an Amiga One buy a Pegasos an Amiga compatible computer,not a clone I think but it haves the same arquitecture that the Amiga One in terms of CPU.

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@moijk

An A1200 or A4000 with PPC, graphics, Sound and Network cards may actually cost more than an A1 and will not run your software as fast.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Maybe if you move the PCI cards so they do not interfere, and don't forget move the mobile phone not so close to your computer

I'm using soundblaster Live 5.1 card in my AmigaOne, and my AmigaOne-XE has fixed IRQ's.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2008/3/12 19:25:53
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top

Register To Post