Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

TOO MANY sub-dirs!!!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I just figured out a way to not have as many subdirectories in my personal files area, and was wondering if anyone else has any ideas that they use before I tell.

For instance, I have lots of text note files, and they're all over the map as to what they are about, so I need like 12+ subdirs to categorize them which makes navigating through them a real chore, but I found an easier way to do it.

(And this now only after using computers from almost 1978!)

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Re: TOO MANY sub-dirs!!!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

Forming a usable system for managing information is usually a continual process.
Since I also have deeply nested sub-directories for bookmarks in browsers, I reached the conclusion long ago that organization by topic was more practical than organization by filetype.
I doubt I will ever settle on a suitable method, but I would be interested to hear about yours. Database?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

What about renaming youre file to something like this

<category> _ <oldfilename>

then its sorted inside your dir

RWO

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Number6, rwo,

Wow rwo, got it first try! And look at how long it took ME to think of it.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but, putting the category first, then an underscore or period, then the file name. That way, ALL of one type of file gets listed together AND it's alphabetical too.

I guess it wasn't such a genius idea then, and everyone except me already has this set up, huh????

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

Dealing with big amount of subdirs is quite often especially when one man has many areas of interest. Creating subdirs thematically and grouping content files according to category are good solutions. I'd like to add also the using of tool as AZtree (present in as4depot). It should be used as follows: in the shell change directory to the top of interesting subdirectories tree and type:

aztree files nocolor noinfo dirlast > ram:mydirs.tree

In effect you will get plain text file mydirs.tree which contains overview of all content from that tree of catalogues. That content may be searched in whatever editor. It can be usefeul to find for example redundant files (occuring more than one time) or files we have lost and searching desperately. Also it eases to keep the whole directory structure clean and lean. Additionally I have the habit to include such TREE overview in catalogues burnt on CD/DVD.

Go to top

Register To Post