Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 149

rjd324, FlynnTheAvatar, skynet, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

LS120 mountlist for classic diskettes?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am wondering if anyone is trying, or have been trying, to make a mountlist for a LS120-drive for AmigaOS 4 so it can load diskettes that work in classic Amigas. There are obviously a mountlist on Aminet which makes it possible for you to use a LS120 together with ordinary Amiga diskettes on classic Amigas. That mountlist doesn?t work on AmigaOS 4 for some reason.

I have a LS120 drive installed in my AmigaOne and it reads PC-formatted diskettes and 120 Mb diskettes just fine. Shouldn?t it be able to read Amiga diskettes too with the right settings in a mountlist or is there some reason to why that is impossible?

Unfortunately I don?t have enough knowledge about mountlists and filesystems to try to construct the mountlist myself.

Go to top
Re: LS120 mountlist for classic diskettes?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Niolator,

Trouble is, I was just shooting in the dark when I redid the old one to work with OS4 for the LS120 disks. I don't really understand all of the why's and wherefor's of mount lists, either! But the information in the mountlist didn't really change. It was just the formatting and ordering of that information that had to be redone to get it working.

Now my LS120 drive is bad, so I can't really check anything with it anyway.

But it's my understanding that if the floppy support is missing from the OS to begin with, then no amount of fiddling with the LS120 mounter will get it to read classic Amiga floppies.

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
But AmigaOS 4 detects PC- and LS120-floppies as floppy disks (they have the diskette icon). So the support can?t be all gone.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Niolator wrote:
But AmigaOS 4 detects PC- and LS120-floppies as floppy disks (they have the diskette icon). So the support can?t be all gone.

True. That's courtesy of CrossDOS, though.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Niolator:

I don't know anything about LS-120 drives. If I knew, I could help you with a mountlist for OS4.

What sort of floppies are you putting in the LS-120? PC-formatted (FAT) diskettes or Amiga-formatted? If PC-formatted and the drive can read them, then it should be just a case of editing a mountlist.

If they are Classic Amiga disks (880 or 1760 kB), then they need raw read/write facilities in the drive and software encoding/decoding of the data on the disk. There currently is no OS4 software that supports the old floppy encoding, although there are some unofficial Catweasel drivers.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

tonyw wrote:
If they are Classic Amiga disks (880 or 1760 kB), then they need raw read/write facilities in the drive and software encoding/decoding of the data on the disk. There currently is no OS4 software that supports the old floppy encoding, although there are some unofficial Catweasel drivers.

I had a mate check out my LS-120 years ago to try and get it reading classic amiga floppies, he said it could not be done without a new rom & amiga driver and probably killing the 'superfloppy' side so no more 100mb storage...

You've got more chance using a second hand A600 with a pcmcia nic as as 'external floppy'

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have one of those LS-120 disk drives in my A1, and AFAIK they have never worked with standard Classic floppies (880KB or 1760KB). You can read FAT or even format a 120MB disk using FFS or any other Amiga FS (via MediaToolBox).

Saluditos,

Ferr?n.

Amiga user since 1988
AOS4 Betatester
Member of ATO Spain
A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin:

Glad to see the Sunrise Girl again. Or is she the Sunset Girl?

Anyway, a beautiful picture, and in perfectly acceptable taste, IMHO.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
From the IDEfix97 docs:

Quote:

Supported Disk formats are DD (720 kByte), HD (1.4 MByte) and the
LS-120 format (120 MByte).
All types can be used with the Amiga FS or CrossDOS.

Quote:

The LS120 CANNOT read or write standard Amiga 880k or 1.6Mb floppies.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@Severin:

Glad to see the Sunrise Girl again. Or is she the Sunset Girl?

Anyway, a beautiful picture, and in perfectly acceptable taste, IMHO.

ty

The full image is here.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ZeroG:
Quote:

Quote:

The LS120 CANNOT read or write standard Amiga 880k or 1.6Mb floppies.

But if I am not mistaken it has been done on classic Amigas. There is even a mountlist on Aminet for that purpose. Isn?t there anyone on this forum who have used that mountlist on a classic Amiga? So that we can work out if it is at all possible on any platform I mean.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Niolator:
This mountlist? http://aminet.net/search.php?query=ls_mount

It is for a 120 MB disk.

Size in bytes = BlockSize x BlocksPerTrack x (HighCyl+1)(we count from 0) x Surfaces

EDIT:
It should be possible to create a mountlist to access OFS and FFS formated DD (720 kByte) and HD (1.4 MByte) disks on a classic Amiga.

Edited by ZeroG on 2006/12/10 18:00:59
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ZeroG:

Yes, that is probably the one. Sad that it doesn't work with Amiga diskettes.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hmmm, yes, the full image is not as "work-safe"

(Or "wife-safe", in my case)

Go to top
LS120 mountlist for classic diskettes? - revisited
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Thread

Now that AmigaOS 4 has floppy support via the A1floppy.device shouldn?t it be possible to write a mountlist to use Amiga floppies in LS120?s? I have tried myself but the closest I have come is that I get the message that there is no disc in the device when I try to access the floppy after mounting.

The strange thing is that the original LS120-driver has the same behavior when I insert an Amiga floppy. Shouldn?t it just complain about it not being a dos disk? It is like it is just not in the LS120. Or maybe it is a hardware problem? Maybe the firmware in the LS120 doesn?t support Amiga floppies?

Go to top
Re: LS120 mountlist for classic diskettes? - revisited
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Niolator

Quote:

Niolator wrote:
@Thread

Now that AmigaOS 4 has floppy support via the A1floppy.device shouldn?t it be possible to write a mountlist to use Amiga floppies in LS120

On removable medias, like floppy disks the disk geometry is read from the device, the LowCyl and HiCyl is ignored from the mount list, if the device do not support the floppy drive or media inside it, then you can?t fix that whit a mount list.

Geometry is the physical size of the disk, number of LowCyl, HiCyl, number of sectors per track, size of etch sector. Number of heads (number of sides).

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
Hmmm, yes, the full image is not as "work-safe"

(Or "wife-safe", in my case)

If you adjust the contrast settings you can see if she is facing the water or the camera

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:
Although there are some unofficial Catweasel drivers.

No the unofficial Catweasel drivers will not support LS-120, because I do not have a LS-120 drive.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Sad. The strange thing is that my LS120 works perfectly in my A1 but has serious compatibility problems with Windows XP. Now that is something unusual.

Go to top

Register To Post