Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

StormC 5
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

I used StormC 3 and 4 quite a lot with my 68k Amigas, I just realized that there's StormC 5 available for OS4.

Anyone here using it?

Go to top
Re: StormC 5
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Tohe

No, it's terribly outdated. I'll hazard a guess that most OS4 developers use GCC in connection with either CodeBench or CubicIDE. True, the GCC in the official OS4 SDK is a bit long in the tooth as well but you can easily replace it with a newer version. I'm currently using GCC 8.2.0.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

Thanks, I'll then forget it and try again setup my CubicIDE environment. There were some issues with SDK when I bought the CubicIDE back in 2017 and didn't have time/interest enough to work it out...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Tohe

Copy CD to a harddrive first and install from there. In case of problems, modify the install script. I don't remember the details but could be something as simple as some version number.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Tohe
Quote:

I just realized that there's StormC 5 available for OS4.

Anyone here using it?

Storm 3 and 4 were full environments with GCC (not only editor), but Storm 5 for OS4 is just StormED 5, just editor.

As editor is good enough, have folding, syntax highlighting, and stuff, but it discontinued from the beginning and even some bugs which I find while beta testing it wasn't fixed.

But Cubic IDE while looks a bit dated, always were fast one.

For myself, I use a cross-compiler on Cygwin and Notepad++ as editor. On amigaos4 itself when I need to just change/fix a little bit of code, I use casual Notepad or gVIM, because other editors have some flaws all the time. I.e.

- CodeBench gives 10 seconds waiting on running, which unacceptable for fast work. And the only way to have it without that 10 seconds long wait, being a beta tester of it. Add to that slow scrolling with syntax-highlighting in the latest versions.

- Storm5ED has some bugs, and not very well configurable.

- MultiEdit: have issues with the positioning of the edited text.

Even notepad: have issues with "save/load" GUI buttons being ghosted in some conditions while shouldn't. But at least it can handle big portions of data correctly. Through no syntax highlighting of course.

So while we have a lot of editors, i not sure if we have one moredern and without bugs and issues :)

Edited by kas1e on 2020/8/6 12:54:36
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
A GCC 8 add-on for CubicIDE would be very welcome. It's a shame CubicIDE is no longer updated It's a really good editor. Well worth its price.

Go to top

Register To Post