Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Sam460ex Cooler
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi i got one of these coolers

http://amigaonthelake.com/sam460-cpu-cooler/#description

Question how do you mount it? no pictures no manual supplied.
Anybody got it and installed it on his 460?
Thanks for any help.

Go to top
Re: Sam460ex Cooler
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I had this active Cooler called "Red Baron" from "Marcus Computer Germany" on my Sam460ex. Meanwhile i sold the Sam and bought an X5000. So it's already some time ago when i installed it on to the CPU of the Sam460ex. But as far as i remember i performed the following steps to install it.

Don't perform the following steps if you feel uncomfortable with them. If so better ask someone for help. Don't blame me if something goes wrong as I will not take any warranty on the following instructions:

1 - Preparation:

- Bring the Sam460 Mainboard into a position where it is comfortable to do this maintenance work (on a desk)
- It is ok or even good to keep the Mainboard for this Task installed in the case
- Remove the Memory Module and the PCI-e/PCI Cards (This is just a security Step when you remove the passive Cooler)
- When you have the Mainboard in front of you the PCIe/PCI Slots should point to your Body and the external Connectors of the Mainboard (USB, Network) should point to the left
- Do some ESD preparations

2 - Removement of the old passive Cooler:

- Be careful!
- Left Hand Fingers: Place Thumb below CPU/Cooler and forefinger above CPU/Cooler directly on the Sam460 Mainboard - No force here!
- Right Hand Fingers: Grab with the Fingers of your choice the old Cooler and pull it. You maybe need to use some slight force to get it removed. Try to balance this force a bit out with the Left Hand (still on the Mainboard)
- The cooler will flake off jerkily (Because of this i recommended to remove Memory Module and PCIe/PCI Cards)
- Clean the CPU with a lintless cloth and a drip of pure Alcohol added to the cloth

3 - Installation of the "Red Baron":

- As before: You should have the Mainboard in front of you so the PCIe/PCI Slots should point to your Body and the external Connectors of the Mainboard (USB, Network) should point to the left
- "Red Baron" should be installed with its power cable showing into the opposite direction of the PCI Slots so Power cable away and not to the direction of the PCIe/PCI Slots
- Look BEFORE removing the foil from the gluing pad how to properly place the "Red Baron" onto your Mainboard. The cooler should cover the PPC CPU completely and sit straight on it
- Remove the foil from the gluing Pad of the "Red Baron" Cooler
- Place the "Red Baron" Cooler as described two steps earlier on the PPC CPU
- Add some light force on top of the cooler frame, the screws - NOT the propeller
- Connect the power cable from the "Red Baron" Cooler with the power supply

4 - Finalization:
- Reinstall the memory module and your PCI-e/PCI Cards
- Switch the machine on and see if it is booting and the propeller on the "Red Baron" Cooler is rotating

Good luck!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@IamSONIC

Much appreciated, going to do that next week as i have to get ready for tonight. Sometimes i wish i had never gotten that CDL License :) . I'll be back in about a week if everything goes smoothly.

Btw did the cooler help or is it just a beauty enhancement?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@devils_advisor

Looking forward to hear how it goes with the fan! I've been considering buying one myself and if it works well in your setup, I'll probably order one. :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I took some Pictures of the whole procedure and need to upload them. It was a headache. it sure is not for the quickly impatient guy :D

Anyway i got it off and it was glued on there like crazy, it was on there to last for a 1000 years with some very sticky silver foil type. Thick and i had to scratch it off. The replacement is very thin so my thick fingers had to fiddle to get both sides of the wrappers off. stuck it on there and it is still sitting on the CPU. I was looking for a tool to measure the temp but the one for the dock i found cant identify my CPU. It shows around 100 the whole time.

Anybody using that AmiCloud app? There website is one hell of a mess in Odyssey Browser. Cant download it. Not even that Indie Store app. Wanted to use it for Picture storage.

Also bought IBrowse this weekend, Guys i tell you our hobby is not for a Family. I had shorter arguments with my Wife before :D

Have a good weekend or whats left of it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Here are the pictures

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id ... qb_RzYhjmuoMUXF9zyCTMPF5f

By the way somebody tried that before I did, you can tell by the looks of the old cooler. The fins are bent quite a bit, I just finished the job and bent it some more while twisting it off.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
You did it! Congratulations :)

Probably someone before you re-glued the cooler. On some 460 Boards the cooler simply fall off when moving the case. The glueing pad doesn't look as the ones i've seen from Acube.

Anyway now enjoy your properly cooled Sam460ex and continue tuning it :) (Configure Kicklayout, add a hotkey to enable 460PPC L2 Cache, install latest U-Boot and try out the memory speedup options, ...)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@IamSONIC I tried to buy the last uboot but when it changes to us Dollar it shows 0$ cost. As a matter of fact everything shows up with 0$ amount. Transaction went through but it's a no go and they don't respond.

Besides the uboot info shows that they lifted the 2gb ram limit, does that mean you can install a 4gb ram stick?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I cannot help you with ACUBE SYSTEMS ONLINE STORE. Write them an email and give them a couple of days to respond.

I can't see any changes regarding supported RAM size in Uboot 2015.a changelog:

http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=news&id=134

Only: "removed 2 GB limit for USB sticks" but thats something different.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@IamSONIC

Yes I saw it, I was seeing what I wanted to see. I checked again about the uboot update and went through all the currencies. Euro is the only one that works. It shows me shipping cost of 30 Euro's, that's insane. This is a download from what I understand. I deleted my address and it wants to add it at the end again. I'm not paying 40 Euro's for a download which I can use only one time. If anybody wants to sell me a copy for 9 Euro I gladly pay for it and that person comes out square so to speak.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Congrats on fitting the cooler! :) How's the sound level of the fan?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BobSacamano

The fan is so small you need to get close with your ears to hear anything.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@devils_advisor

Nice! I will get one myself. I see Amiga on the Lake has one for sale. :)

Go to top

Register To Post