Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

My dumb X5000 error
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I can now boot from the USB stick after downgrading my graphics card.

Dumb mistake. I'm so used to making DH0: bootable in Media Toolbox that I did it with my new SSD. I rebooted so I could format the partitions, but (big surprise. . . not)it couldn't boot because the drive wasn't even formatted yet, let alone have the OS installed. Now when I boot from the USB stick it tries to switch over to the HD after the USB boot is finished, but it can't.

It just gives the Initial CLI window saying the disk is not a DOS disk. I tried booting with the data cable off the SSD and it booted from the USB. But after plugging the data cable back into the SSD, the x5000 sata doesn't show up in Media Toolbox, since it didn't boot with anything connected.

Is there a way around this, or have I ruined my new SSD? I have no other Amiga to work with. My XE is dead.

Paul

Edit 1: I have the USB bootstick boot priority raised to 3. SSD boot priority was set at 0.

Edit 2: I put in one of the old SATA hard drives from my XE. Now it hangs up after switching to the Amiga OS4.1 pre-release screen.

Edit 3: I put the SiI 3114 in a PCI slot and hooked the SSD up to that, thinking I could boot from the USB and that the 3114 wouldn't let the SSD boot. It just hung during the boot when the AmigaOS 4.1 pre-release screen came up.

Edited by Paul on 2020/7/3 19:05:54
Edited by Paul on 2020/7/3 19:30:22
Edited by Paul on 2020/7/3 20:31:07
Edited by Paul on 2020/7/3 20:32:32
Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Re: My dumb X5000 error
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Paul

I saw this on a Blog from a guy in the UK, need to dig up his name.
But anyway he solved that in UBoot or in a shell before it booted into the OS.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@devils_advisor

Sounds hopeful. I hope you can track it down. Thanks

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Paul

I think you can solve this as follows:

Hold both mouse buttons after kickstart modules are loaded and enter to early boot menu of AmigaOS4

Disable the problematic drive from the menus

Then boot from USB to Workbench.

With MediaToolBox you can change settings of any drive connected.

You can mount the drives with Mounter if you enter the correct tooltypes.

Sinan - AmigaOS4 Beta-Tester
- AmigaOne X5000
- AmigaOne A1222
- Sam460ex
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@SinanSam460

I got all the partitions of the SSD disabled per your instructions. But it doesn't list the USB stick as a boot device. So if I go to the bottom of the screen after disabling the SSD and just hit "Boot", it loops back to the X5000 boot up screen and starts over.

If I hit "Boot without startup sequence" it brings up a cli prompt with "System-Rec" from the USB. What would the CLI command be to boot from the USB? Sorry to be so dumb.

Thanks for getting me this far.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Paul

When the Boot Boingball animation starts you do press ESC to get to the boot meny?

Or If your on newer firmware you get to the boot select menu by default?

Either/Or select Boot options then Boot from mass storage.

Report back your progress.

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
http://www.markround.com/blog/2019/01 ... ckups-on-the-amiga-x5000/

go down to uboot modifications and see if that could help you
please read carefully before modify anything, your problem sounded familiar
and it seems to be except for the media type in his case.

i dont have my 5000 yet so i cant really help

X5000 has not shipped yet

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@khayoz

Yes, I've pulled up the boot menu and choose to boot from Mass Storage. Then I followed Sinan's instructions and got the boot device menu and disabled all the partitions I had started to set up in the SSD, since there's no OS on the SSD yet. I need to boot from the CLI that comes up after choosing "Boot with no startup sequence, so I can boot from USB without bringing the SSD into the picture until I can make it unbootable again in Media Toolbox so I can format my new partitions and install the OS.

At this point, after booting with no boot sequence, my command prompt reads: "0.System_Rec".

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Paul

Tried swap to the other SATA port on the motherboard?
(Don't think it matters but worth a try)

If nothing above works and you have another computer quickformat the SSD and start over.

But everything with the boot process sounds very strange to me, what cards do you have connected to your X5000?

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Paul

Try the os4_bootdevice=auto uboot variable.

text copied from http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=AmigaOne_X5000_Update_Uboot

Quote:

"os4_bootdevice" (recommended) This variable forces the system to boot from a particular partition, that is, make that partition the "system volume". This happens after the Kickstart files are loaded (see 4.2d). If the variable is set to a partition name, then that partition will become the "system volume". If the variable is set to "auto", then the partition that provided the Kickstart files will become the "system volume" (this is the normal condition). If the variable is not defined, then the partition with the highest "boot priority" will become the "system volume".

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@khayoz

I can try the SATA port swap. But yeah, probably won't make a difference.

I had put a SiI 3114 card in, thinking I could boot from USB without involving my SSD. But it just kept going in a loop. Only other card is the Video HD5450.

I might try what devils_advisor pointed to in that other thread. setting the uboot parameter for os4_bootdevice = auto. That should make it load all the way through from the recovery USB. . . I think.

I tried hooking up an old HD from my XE to the X5000 SATA port too, but it just keeps restarting at the x5000 startup screen.

All because I mistakenly set my new drive to bootable before I should have. Sheesh!

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Re: My dumb X5000 error FIXED
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Paul

@ smf and devils_advisor:

the "setenv os4_bootdevice auto" command worked! I now have my SSD set so it's not a boot device and the partitions all showed up after a reboot, ready to format!!

Now onward to more holiday weekend fun!

Thanks for your help everybody!

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Glad you got it running again

Happy Holiday to everybody

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Paul @smf

Glad to hear, great news!
Now enjoy the X5000 Paul!

Tack smf för din excellenta koll på X5000/AmigaOS4.1!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@khayoz

I just got the network connection going. Writing t his from the X5000!

Paul

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post