Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Sections
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...
Support us!
Recent OS4 Files
OS4Depot.net

Atomic Bomberman Fan Rewrite
Not too shy to talk
From Cologne
Hi, dear bombing aficionados!

Some weeks ago I released my fan rewrite of the Win95 game Atomic Bomberman (originally from 1997 by Interplay). And just yesterday I released an update which fixes a few issues and also adds some extra features.

It has been coded from scratch, just by watching and playing the original game on an antique Win98 machine. Much care has been taken to make the gameplay feel exactly as if you were playing the old original game.
Actually I coded this "rewrite" in 2011 already, so that we (my old university friends and I) could meet at my place every quarter of a year and play it on the big screen again. The problem was that the original game didn't properly work on modern Windows machines anymore. That was before I even knew about NG Amigas and such

End of 2018 I quickly ported it to AOS4. It was meant to be a contribution to Amiga Ireland 2019. Later in 2019, at the Amiga Future's stand at the Gamescom 2019, it was the audience magnet. It really attracted hundreds of people to the stand I also carried it to Amiga34, Amiwest 2019 and Amiga Ireland 2020. It's really the definitive party game Note that it's not meant to be played alone. While there is some rudimentary AI, it's just no fun.
Friends and booze and bombs, that's the correct setup

This rewrite / player program is free to use, at your own risk, maybe your computer just explodes, who knows.
However: The original game data files of the original Windows CD are required to play this game!

If you don't own it yet then you may buy it here or here for example.
Check the game's readme for further instructions.

Requirements:
+ lots of USB joypads (Geeekpi SNES style pads work well; be aware: many of those cheap pads DONT work with Amigas!)
+ original Atomic Bomberman game CD
+ one of the following:
- AmigaOS4: >= 4.1 FE, Warp3D
- AmigaOS4: >= 4.1 FE, Compositing (if you don't have a Warp3D-capable card)
- MorphOS: >= 10, TinyGL
- AROS: x86, e.g. Icaros >= 2.2.0, Mesa 3D

One question to those who give it a try:
on ddni's X1000 (and so far only on this machine) the W3D version produces a tiny frame of uncritical but ugly pixel garbage around the picture. If this happens on your system too, please drop me a PM with your specs! Thanks!

Tchatching,
Daniel

Re: Atomic Bomberman Fan Rewrite
Not too shy to talk
From Cologne
Version history

v1.2:
- team-mode added! In contrast to the original game this rewrite also supports kills-win-matches in team-mode. Consequently the kills of all team member are accumulated and presented on the result screen too. In team mode the players are either part of the white (odd player #) or red (even player #) team. Btw.: the crappy AI tries to avoid killing team members

- new game-play mode "Annihilation". If this is activated, then every player has the glove, the punch and a 10000 jelly bombs stock from the beginning Also, if you lift a bomb then you'll immediately throw it away again ( = autofire). This is truely hardcore!

- Player-select-menu now with clear-all-assignments-button.

- Player-select-menu now with unused/AI-toggle-button.

- Player-select-menu now with assign-by-fire. Consequently a dedicated "Start"-button has been added to this menu.

- Fix: Match-select-menu, ?translation mixup. It wasn't the conveyor-belt's size but the stomping wall's size

- Fix: Results-stats-screen now shows the correct dedicated background picture.

- Fix: the explosion's last "south" element was missing Forgot to adjust one layout file. Funny enough nobody noticed so far Added that one when I prepared the new Amiga ports for public release...

- Fix: the punch-up animation was wrong, it was the same as the punch-down animation. Reason was that there are several name conflicts with the original's unpacked asset names. This was one of those (a redundant set of punch-down anim frames would overwrite the true punch-up anims...) and in this case I forgot to set a patch. Now I did Funny enough nobody noticed so far Added that one when I prepared the new Amiga ports for public release...

- Fix: the internal multi_frame command eventually didn't load all anim frames. Affected some death animations.

- Fix: it could happen that two (or more) floating bombs ended up resting on the same field. I made a subtle logic change to prevent this. However, this had some interesting side-effects which I had to compensate for. Let's hope I cought'em all!

- Fix: bouncing bombs outside the actual playfield eventually made it into the next match.

- Fix: last Windows-installer was broken, files missing.

- Fix: Windows-version now correctly handles UAC when it comes to decrunching.

- RAM and VRAM requirements massively reduced.

v1.1:
- CD DATA detection improved.

v1.0:
- initial release.

Home away from home
From a dying planet
What about Wings?

And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
   Report Go to top

Not too shy to talk
From Cologne
@Raziel
If you'd not derail this thread instead of asking in the Wings Remastered thread over here (which somebody derailed into some sort of minigl thread... ), then you'd actually get a real answer, thanks.

Site Builder
From Athens/Dublin
The game is awesome and really easy to hook into. It is more than necessary for every amiga party. Thank you Daniel for bringing us this great game and for all the hard work you do.

Report Go to top

Not too shy to talk
From Cologne

Quite a regular
From Northern Ireland
This game is great fun! Excellent port too. It went down a treat at Amiga Ireland. Thanks Dan.
Be great to see if any X1000 users get the minor trash around screen borders.

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
   Report Go to top

Not too shy to talk
Works nicely with my Sam 440ep Flex

Report Go to top

[Advanced Search]