Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Multiple Monitors and screen orientation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi to all,

I'd like to know if it is possible to have under AmigaOS4 multiples monitor and use them to share the workbench (like windows) and if it is possible to change the orientation of the monitor (horizontally or vertically)..
If not, i'd like to know, if these two features are planned to be implemented

Thanks

Go to top
Re: Multiple Monitors and screen orientation
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nubechecorre

Multiple monitors yes, (if you have sufficient slots for multiple cards) but share the workbench no. You can have seperate screens on each monitor and set applications to run on a specific public screen. Can't drag wincows between them though.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nubechecorre

As Broadblues said, multiple monitors works, but you need one graphics card per monitor.

We did discuss multi-monitor support at AmiWest last year, but there are no solid plans to implement it yet.

There is no option to rotate screens, either.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
ok thank you both

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

Or you can resort to one Matrox Dual/triple head2Go, the models fitted with dvi or VGA ports works fine under AmigaOS4, with just a single gfx card, and you can even drag Windows from one monitor to the other.Although those are expensive new, you can often find them second hand for around ~100€.

Edit: Link of a video showing my AmigaOne X1000 with one of these devices.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/dec46 ... 435720190515163927/5b8c89

Edited by Ami603 on 2019/5/15 17:43:04
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Ami603

Interesting device. I had no idea that it existed.

What happens if you need a 1920x1080 mode? Does it stretch over both screens? Or does it use just one?

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

It just uses one monitor,however i still haven't discovered if it can use the second one individually.
I Also had to write a commodity to detect Windows opened centered, to center on either half of the screen where the mouse pointer resides,make the initial width smaller and Also resize with shift to each full monitor instead of the whole screen, since the workbench treats its output as a single screen, twice the width.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Ami603
Nice device, as if it was made for us, thanks for telling!
I only remember Matrox for its catastrophic OpenGL support back around y2k (back then I even had to replace the OpenGL renderer of one application by a software renderer because it turned out that many customers ultimately used Matrox because of the dual-head feature, but unfortunately their OGL driver was totally broken).
But this one here... ordered

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daytona675x

Be sure to order the digital version (VGA or DVI ones) these are the ones that i found to work.

Only drawback i found is that before using It you need to Connect a pc, install the software and let It detect the best configuration for your monitors.Once It does the initial reset It is ready to use on your amigas just fine.

EDIT: this one is what i have running right now and gives the best quality https://www.matrox.com/graphics/es/products/gxm/th2go/digital/

EDIT 2: i previously had this model, but quality Up to 1920*1080 was not the best https://www.matrox.com/graphics/es/products/gxm/dh2go/digital/

I do not know if the Mac/displayport versions work, so be careful with your orders

EDIT 3: input cable must be dvi dual link to work properly

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Ami603
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your warning and additional info!
I had already put it into the Amazon-basket but then noticed that the one I picked required displayport just in time before purchasing... The one you use was unfortunately a bit too pricy for my taste, so for now I canceled that buy.
But nevertheless: IMHO a very interesting solution for our Amigas.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Ami603

Thanks for the reply and for the usefull informations, I didn't know it altough I used kvm switch back in the old days to share/switch a monitor between amiga and pc..

I am very happy that it exists and I also found a reseller here in Italy where I live!
Thanks

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ami603

PM sent.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@mritter0

PM replied

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

As an alternative to multiple monitors I'd recommend using ultawide monitor. I've got 38" LG 38UC99 connected to both pc and X5000 and never looked back to dual monitor setup.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38UC99-W-ultrawide-monitor

Of course, this doesn't help much if you *really* need two separate monitors :D

X5000, Peg2, mA1
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ami603

Didn't get a message.

Email me?

Edited by mritter0 on 2019/5/26 13:49:56
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ami603

Thank for your info, I bought the TripleHead2Go with DVI.
I did the setup in Windows 10, connected it to the AmigaOne and it is running fine on 3 monitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buCtNuP--bI

Some things:

- switching to dual output's in Windows 10 got the result that I have 1 full screen and 2 half screens on 3 monitors, instead of 2 fullscreen Windows on 2 monitors.

- I could not get any higher then 3840x1080, although on the site of Matrox it says:

"Creates a stretched desktop with a maximum resolution of 5760x1080 (3x 1920x1080)1,2 across three displays or 3840x1200 (2x1920x1200) 2 across two"

I did use a Duallink DVI from the Windows machine to the Triplehead. Maybe the Radeon 7750 in my Windows machine is limiting (?)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@benny

Honestly, i've never tried the third output on mine, however It may need some advanced config under Windows to make it behave like expected to.
I had lots if problems until discovered the thing about dual link dvi, so It may be some fault with the cable, or manually tweaking the screenmodes the adaptor accepts, i seem to recall that some modes had to be removed to allow for other available configs.

Edit: my x1000 has a Radeon HD7750, but yes,never tried three outputs at once.

Edited by Ami603 on 2019/5/29 8:53:40
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ami603

I tried my Radeon 7950 card and now it is fine. Two monitors with 3840x1080, so 1:1 pixels on the monitor. The 7750 passive from Sapphire is limited or incompatible when configuring 2 monitor's in Windows 10.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Nice that this forum exists - seems that all questinos that I have are somehow covered

@densho

So ultrawide monitor works perfectly under OS4? I was thinking of buying one, but didn't find enough information.

The graphics card that I have on my x5000 is Radeon R9 280x, and max resolution should be enough - but wasn't sure if it'll work under x5000 and OS4.1FE.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ami603

What refresh rate can you run on your two screens?

I see from the Matrox site that running three screens slows you down to 50 Hz, but doesn't say anything about just two.

cheers
tony
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »