Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

A request for Amiga North Thames.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I know you guys have a range of different hardware including AmigaOne XEs and Sam460s.

I would like to know if Radeon SI hardware will work in the XE. This is more for the benefit of other users since I have an X1000 and sold my XE long before such tests could have been made.

It would be ideal if one of the club members has a low profile Radeon SI card although a full size card can be used for testing purposes with a little more effort.

All you need then is a PCI to PCIe adapter such as this one that has the recommended PEX8112 PCI to PCIe bridge chip.

http://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/18614175/s ... o-pcie-adapter-card?gps=1

I don't mind chipping in a few quid via paypal to whoever makes the purchase. If 10 or 15 people chip it's pocket change.

Go to top
Re: A request for Amiga North Thames.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rob
I tried this last year when I saw a post about PCI to PCI-E adaptor, I actually bought one and tried 2 different Graphics cards on my A1XEG4
one was Radeon X1650SE and the other was Sapphire Radeon HD4350
I tried them both with and without my existing graphics card connected.
essentially the computer would not boot further than Uboot. But no damage was done and the machine just baulked at Uboot.
The consensus at ANT was that Uboot needed to be able to recognise the PCI-PCIE card. I did comment elsewhere that an update to uboot for the A1XE would be helpful
not a technically professional analysis but then I am not a coder.

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Both the Radeon X1xx0 and HD4xx0 series cards work on the XE.

If you're seeing Uboot then the problem isn't in with that or the adapter.

It must be back in 2009 when I was testing the driver with my old XE and an X1550 so my memory of this is a little hazy now.

There were certain conditions under which a conflict would occur between which card you selected to boot from in Uboot and which driver the OS would try to run. The result is that you the computer hangs when the OS loads the video driver and takes over control of the system from Uboot.
If this is the problem you're describing then it just a configuration issue.

In the Uboot menu, under the video options, you can select to boot from AGP or PCI.

I had the luxury of 2 monitors so I was able to run both cards at the same time but the system would hangs if things weren't configured right.
My advice if you re-test this is to start with the XE running your 9000 or whatever in the AGP slot and make sure that Uboot is set to boot from the AGP slot. Then install the Radeon HD card in the PCI slot and check that the system boots. Then install the Radeon HD driver and do a hard reset. Hopefully the system should reboot running the AGP card. If so go to the screen mode prefs and test one of the modes offered for the Radeon HD card.

I'm sure if I was able to attend I could troubleshoot the system but hopefully my post is enough get you up and running.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I'm pretty sure we tried all options , but I will have another go.

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rob
ok I had a bit of time this pm, I have tried both cards with and without AGP card connected, I use agp Radeon9000pro or PCI Radeon 9250 normally, both work fine but I don't use them at the same time.
the PCI-e X1650SE and HD4350 both boot up to Kickstart loading and then hang with a flashing cursor. depending which pci slot i use the computer boots up ok with agp card connected but still baulks after kickstart loaded with pci-e card
when i am able to boot fully Ranger does not recognise the Pci-e graphics card but does recognise the pci to pci-e adaptor.
maybe i have to disable a line in kickstart? but not keen to do so without feedback.

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swisso

Robert Bernardo has an XE with a Radeon 4650 so it may be worth getting in contact with him for more up to date information rather what I remember from 2010 or so.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?item_id=7885

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
sent a pm to him

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top

Register To Post