Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »
Re: Workbench Explorer feedback
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Those images are used once, in the Go menu for Users. Do you see the Users menu item? You should not. So those images should be skipped and not loaded.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mark
Probably i do something wrong, but feels like a bug. To reproduce:

-- go inside of any .lha archive
-- mark directory from archive
-- press RMB
-- choice Archive/Extract Archive

Now there is workbench explorer window with all that where to extract, full pathmeaes, overwrit mode, etc.

-- there press gadget to choice "Path"
-- select RAM DISK
-- press OK
-- now press OK in that unarchive workbench explorer window

=> result: nothing unpacked to ram.

If set in options "show output" , then when we trying to do all this we have "Processed nothing , press [Enter]..".

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mark
And as you ask for feature requests, there is few:

1). Will be good to have every window be resizable. For example "pattern one". Or that "unarchive" one. Or rename one. I.e. any window. They looks a bit like "non system" ones.

2). Add positibility to drag&drop stuff from Worbench Explorer to WB, and from WB to workbench explorer.

3). Add ability to change backgroud colors in listers. I.e. same as in filler for example. Check filler preferences "main" tab. In WeX In Appearance i can change only colors of all stuff , but not background color.

Ability to change background colors are pretty handy.

4). Will be cool to have in options Lister item. Where everything will be about Lister, and all the options about lister which placed now anywhere, put just to that entry.

PS. And i offten have crash in the HandleConnetListBrowser task, when i just run Wex and right away dbl-click on the any entry in lister. Probably that happens because of the same problem of slow resiing : it doing something, interrupts and crashes. Ignore DSI works through.

Also, probably that auto-save of prefs of hundrends of times in second make everything in the system act slower. Imho just save it only on exit, that will be clean and elegant way. Imho.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mritter0
I see no "Users" entry in the "Go" menu... But the image files are still "in use" & cannot be deleted...

kas1e wrote: Quote:
2). Add positibility to drag&drop stuff from Worbench Explorer to WB, and from WB to workbench explorer.

This would be great. Probably tricky to do (at least from WEx to WB) but Filer showed it is possible (and it's source code is available I believe)...

@kas1e Quote:
Imho just save it only on exit, that will be clean and elegant way. Imho.

Yeah, I think that is way it should be done... but it sounds like mritter0 has a different opinion :(

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e
I will double check on archive extract. I used to only support LhA, then switched to xad. LhA could do, xad can't, IIRC.

You can drag from WB to WEx, but not WEx to WB, and not WEx to WEx.

@ChrisH
I believe I fixed the images issue.

@all
The prefs are no longer saved automatically. I added Load/Save Preferences menu items and a "Save prefs on on exit" option. I can live with it.
I still may auto-save some settings, though.

The move/resize issue is also fixed. Left over command from testing it from months ago. Oops.

New version coming soon.

Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

Some initial observations of Mr Ritter's newly release WorkbenchExplorer. Feel free to add your own comments!

As my 'AOS 4.1FE u1' setup is not operational yet (harddrive failures - possibly due to instable voltages caused by drying caps in the psu of my towered A4kPPC) I cannot test the 'WorkbenchExplorer' myself.

I can only form an opinion by looking at the screenshots at your link.

Quote:

Original by ChrisH:

It looks like a very promising start to what could be a Filer (or light-weight DOpus5) replacement (except a bit more inspired by Windows Explorer than I'd personally prefer).

I agree entirely!
What annoys me most with 'WindowsExplorer' (or with 'WindowsExplorer'-alikes) is that it just has one lister window.

Back in the old M$-DOS days there was the 'Norton Commander', which could be set to operate in one-window-mode or two-window-mode.

In 'WindowsExplorer', I have to click through the directory tree until I reach the location where the file I want to copy is located.
Then I can mark it and select an action (e.g. 'Copy').

And now comes the 'unnecessary part' (from my POV) - I have to click through the tree again to select the destination!

And the most annoying part is that I have to select source and destination each time I want to perform an action, while in 'DOpus 4.16' I select source and destination just once.

Maybe it is down to my own preference, but I prefer the way e.g. 'DOpus 4.16' does it.

It offers two lister windows where you can assign 'source' to one window and 'destination' to the other.
That's why I'm still using 'DOpus 4.16' instead of moving on to 'DOpus 5.x' or 'Magellan' (with OS 3.9/WarpOS, that is).

In my opinion it should at least offer the option to switch to a 'two lister windows'-mode in 'DOpus 4.16'-style.

Ciao,
Dandy
-----------------------------------------------------------
If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him.
He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him!
(...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dandy
Multiple tabs, not listers. It's not the 1990s any more.

And unless your destination lister changes to what you want magically, then what is the difference with WEx and tabs?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mritter0

Actually use of TABS is the killer for me, TABS are *not* suitable for browswing multple drawers at the same time because you can only see one drawer at a time.

Multiple listers DOpus 5 style (or Filer style) is much easier as you can dynamically copy between multiple destinations.

Tabs are fine in a webbrowser because you can only really read one at a time, but with file manger you can be readinh one and editing another whilst refering to a third.

There again I think you can run seperate instances as well with WEx , though it places a multiple dockies in the dock which is a bit clunky. One docky with popup menu to open / bring forward the relevent lister would be better.

THis *is* a matter of taste to some degree but don;t think that ideas created in teh 90s are autamatically out of date, I mean what system is the program designed for again?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@mritter0

Quote:

Original by mritter0:
@Dandy

Multiple tabs, not listers.

Yeah, I noticed the "Tabs"-item in the preferences window, but was not sure if that is comparable with multiple instances like in DOpus5.x. That is not bad, just that I'm used to the style of DOpus4.16 and by that prefer this design. A matter of personal taste, I think.

Quote:

Original by mritter0:

It's not the 1990s any more.

I know, but do you refuse e.g. to ride on a highway that was built in the 1990s, just because it was built in the 1990s?

Quote:

Original by mritter0:

And unless your destination lister changes to what you want magically, then what is the difference with WEx and tabs?

As I wrote before, I cannot test WB-Explorer, as I have to solve the issue with the harddrive failures in my old A4kPPC first. Once my harddrive (or possibly SSD) works reliable again I can continue setting up the OS 4.1FE u1 setup and test WB-Explorer.

This said, I can imagine that WB-Explorer with tabs is as usable as is DOpus5.x.
Just that my personal preference is the DOpus4.16 style...
As I said - I see the advantage of it in having to select source and destination just once in 'DOpus 4.16'.
That's why I went back to DOpus4.16 after testing DOpus5.x ...

Ciao,
Dandy
-----------------------------------------------------------
If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him.
He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him!
(...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mark
I give a go for 1.2 version, and yeah, slow resizing and slow responsing on RMB and gadgets are gone. All fine now. Also that options about "save things on exit" are good as well. (as well as good to have ability to not show it in amidock, that was first thing i disable, good that there is option for).

Now, some more feadback if you doesn't mind of course :) I spend quite some time to setup it as Filer (the way how i like it looks like), and horray:

(press RMB on image and choice "open image in new tab" to have it of normal size):

Resized Image

But found some quirks:

Once i add "FileNote" in the colums of Detailed view, then it add some heavy extra space. Check this out:

(press RMB on image and choice "open image in new tab" to have it of normal size):

Resized Image

Basically, there is always a little of extra space after last colum all the time (while last colum imho should be last one, without extra-empty one). But once i add Filenote one, there is really big extra-space. You can see it yourself on screenshot (check scrollbar at bottom)

When i for example in some path , let's say it "Work:test/", and then, unplug usb-flash. Then, wex jump on the "root" dir, to show me my system:, work, ramdisk and co. While imho should't and should stay where is it. When plug-in all is ok, only when i unplug it jump to the root view.

Is there ability to save path from where Wex will starts ? I.e. i want wex be pointed out on directory i need right after start, but can't find in options anything about. Is there any for ?

As you can see on screenshots above, because of no ability to change background colors in Appearance, its all "grey", while i want to make it looks more better for my taste. It can be something like this:

Resized Image

I.e. the same option, same style, just more ability to control.

Probably pressing on close gadget in the tabs, loosing few pixels. I mean, you can try to press on the very very last pixe of the image, and it didn't works. You need to press almost exactly in the middle of close gadget.

I trying to make some speedy copy. So i run 2 instances of WEX, and trying to do copy from one to another : d&d not works, as well as when i choice in one lister "copy" for some file, then "paste" in second lister didn't taken in account.

Is the only way to open 2 tabs, select file / copy in one, and paste in another ? I mean unpossible to setup somehow wex, so to see 2 places at the same time ("from" and "to") ?

I found you have "Hex viewer" in tools. That cool as well. If you doesnt mind, may i suggest feature there as well : Will be cool to dbl-click on any hex value and have ability to type new value there, and then press some "save" button, or RMB and there choice "save".

Basically, i think you need to make all those "tools", like HexViewer, Smart Rename and co be as Plugins/Modules. Same as it done in dopus4 and dopus5. So you can develop it all separately, and main programm will not blowns by code. All you need just make interface for, and some SDK which you can make public, so users can make plugins/moduels as well.

Something wrong with speed of opening directorie with lots of files. For example, opening in wex WorkbenchExplorer/Images/TBImages/ , happens to be really slow. In Filer it takes no time at all, in Wex even on x5000 it takes 3-4 seconds. In Filer as i say it take 0 second, just right at time.

Basically all directories with lot of files opens slow in Wex. Even starting of wex giving me some little, but notecable speed loose. Probably time when images loaded or something ..

Edited by kas1e on 2017/5/23 16:50:52
Edited by kas1e on 2017/5/23 16:58:08
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

3. Maybe is this what you're looking for: Go to Preferences->Tabs 'Startup tabs'

7. Try to set in Preferences->Editors 'Default editor' to an hex editor (example: APPDIR:Zaphod), not sure if will suit your needs.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jabirulo

Quote:

3. Maybe is this what you're looking for: Go to Preferences->Tabs 'Startup tabs'

Right ! Thanks

Quote:

7. Try to set in Preferences->Editors 'Default editor' to an hex editor (example: APPDIR:Zaphod), not sure if will suit your needs.

Nope, that not what i mean. I mean add that feature exactly to inbuild hex-editor.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mritter0
I found a new bug with v1.2, which I did not notice with v1.0/v1.1:
After I started WEx, suddenly Workbench (not WEx!) showed disk icons for two previously un-mounted volumes:

1. One was FTP Mount, which I have set to "ACTIVATE=0" (so it isn't activated until it's first accessed).
2. Was my X1000's "BOOT:" partition (which contains "amigaboot.of" needed by the BIOS to boot OS4). I have a DOSDriver for mounting this, which is also set to "ACTIVATE=0".

In both cases I do *NOT* want them being mounted, UNLESS I intentionally try to open them. So please undo/change the volume checks you added for v1.2, so that this does not happen just by starting WEx. Thanks!

@kas1e Quote:

Something wrong with speed of opening directorie with lots of files. For example, opening in wex WorkbenchExplorer/Images/TBImages/ , happens to be really slow. In Filer it takes no time at all, in Wex even on x5000 it takes 3-4 seconds. In Filer as i say it take 0 second, just right at time.

Yeah. This is the core functionality of WEx, so it's not really acceptable that it's so slow. I guess it is due to it using Datatypes to check the Type of every file (switch "View styles" to "Details" to see what I mean).

Simple solution is to make checking of (Data)Type optional in Preferences. If disabled, then it would only check the Type the first time the user clicked (or maybe double-clicked) the file. (Then it knows the file's type & does not need to check again, as long as the user does not leave that folder.) This behaviour should probably ALWAYS occur (ignoring preferences) when the "View style" is NOT "Details", as I think there is no need/use of Type when not in Details mode (except possibly when you double-click a file).

A better (but more complex) solution is for checking of (Data)Type to be done in the background, by a separate thread. Filer does this when generating (image) thumbnails for files, but didn't do it very well as it still causes Filer to run MUCH slower. So I guess do NOT bother trying to do this unless you have a LOT of time to get it working well!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I will take a look at kas1e and ChrisH suggestion tonight.

I didn't change anything in the scanning of devices, just assigns. FTPMount is used by WEx. Are you sure it didn't mount it in v1.1?

When I first started to develop WEx I wanted to see as much information as possible. I was developing in WinUAE and fast PC. Now on my X5000 things are much faster.
BUT...image datatypes are slow, music datatypes are much faster by comparison.

As is, if you don't have the Dimensions column shown, it will not get the image info, just what type it is (PNG, JPG, etc). Same for MP3, if columns aren't shown, it won't look at them.

I can add an option to turn it off completely. Maybe I never really cared how slow it was since I don't have several hundred images in one drawer. I have them broken out in more and smaller drawers.

Taking notes. Keep the ideas coming!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

1) That is a bug in the listbrowser.gadget. It has been fixed in v53.74. I don't know why it has not been released to the public. salass00 fixed it and another bug for me.

2) Yes, that is not the behavior I wanted.

3) jabirulo answered

4) Not hard to implement. But will require Striping to be disabled. Down the road.

5) I have noticed it. I don't know if it has to do with the size of the image or what.

6) That is a priority fix.

7) Hex viewer is just what the name says: viewer. If you want to edit a file then do what jabirulo suggested.

8) Working on that right now. Will be an option.

I have also made note of your other suggestions. Keep the ideas coming.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mritter0 Quote:
Are you sure it didn't mount it in v1.1?

No I am NOT sure. I hardly tested v1.1 . (And all I said was "I did not notice" not "it did not".)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mritter0

Quote:

5) I have noticed it. I don't know if it has to do with the size of the image or what.

Almost certainly is. I use TBIMAGES:list_cancel in my tabs, can't remeber which you were using but it seemed a bit small IIRC.

Also if the edges are alpha blended to antialias, that might effect the hit box with edge pixels being left out, choose a close image with good strong border.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mark

Quote:

1) That is a bug in the listbrowser.gadget. It has been fixed in v53.74. I don't know why it has not been released to the public. salass00 fixed it and another bug for me.

As i betatester, i have access to latest betafiles, so can test it : yep. That big extra space is fixed. I will make a note for myself, so when next update will be collected, to be sure that that one will be included.

Through, i notice that there is extra column at end all the time. I.e. not bug of gadget, but just by code you add at end some empty last column. Check this out on screenshot:

Resized Image.

You can see there, that while Filenote are last one, there is one extra one, which should't be there. I.e. Filenote should be last one, and have only firt column for resizing.
I.e. resizing whole Wex window should't give us "end" of filenote column, just filenote should be last one always. Probably you add extra one in code just to have "back" column line, while there is no needs for, as it can be controlled via whole window resizing.

Quote:

4) Not hard to implement. But will require Striping to be disabled. Down the road.

Why ? Check this out how it in filler:

(press RMB on image and choice "open image in new tab" to have it of normal size)

Resized Image

Without stripping it will suck of course :) With striping and background it looks pretty cool. I was in hope to add the same as in Filer, to Dopus5, but it still didn't done, maybe someday. But that make feel and look of main window modern and decent one :)

Quote:

I have also made note of your other suggestions. Keep the ideas coming.

Well, then few more :) :

1).

Having close,depth,center gadgets in all the wex windowses, not only in main one will be good and "system one" as well.

I.e. Preference miss it for example, same as About, all in Tools (Duplicate File Finder, Advaced Search, etc). All the other windowses like "Create New Drawer", "Rename", etc ,etc : every window need to have gadgets to be more "operational" and easy to use.

2).

A bit update "Date" field. I.e. when it Today , set Today instead of date. When its Yesterday, set Yesterday instead of date.

Also, will be good to have in the options / view style / data format, another, 3st case: day/month/year (i.e. pure numbers as in Locale,just without time, and PM/AM, as that most of time not need it, and when there is just date, its make column shorter and cleaner).

3).

I can be wrong, but is there ability to attach any keycombo i need to the buttons ? For example i want to make a button "edit", with image i needs, and add on it "F4" , so pressing on F4 will run my edit.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:
THis *is* a matter of taste to some degree but don;t think that ideas created in teh 90s are autamatically out of date, I mean what system is the program designed for again?

Early Amiga file managers (directory utilities) were single window programs like 'DirUtil' at Aminet. They evolved into dual lister programs and eventually into multiple window systems like Dopus5. So-called "modern" file managers on some other operating systems are just unevolved

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@mritter0
Nice work with the WBEx. I would like to add on the matter ChrisH mentioned. Whenever I start WBEx, Dropbox and Google Drive is mounted, although I didn't start them. Maybe it has to do with the mountlists.

One thing that I would like to request is to make addition of more info beside each file, to be filled asynchronously. For example, a folder with 30 wallpapers was listed slow because there was the list that shows the dimension of the file. As soon as I removed it, the listing showed really fast.

Also, it is wierd that the dimension of the file is not visible at the status bar, as I believe it would be more logical to exist.

Thank you for the great work you do... Keep it up...

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »