Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Installation of Amigakit's SCSI to Micro SD card adapter
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I will be receiving an Amiga 3000 in the following days.

The unit is coming originally configured so that Workbench is the 49 MB Quantum SCSI, Work is the Maxtor internal SCSI mounted next to DF0: Internal Floppy and "HardDisk" is an external SCSI - Quantum mounted with Imation CD-R.

So I need help in figuring which will be the best way to install and configured. The idea is to make the SCSI mounted Micro SD card, the bootable unit, and to clone the configuration and information of the original 49MB in there.

I bought a 36" 50-pin SCSI 3-Connector Internal Flat Dual Ribbon Cable - Up To 2 Drives, thinking that it may be needed.

Could somebody please guide me through the process or point me in the direction I need to look to find this information?

I will create a separate thread to ask questions regarding a fresh installation of WB 3.9, to have a spare sd card ready.

Go to top
Re: Installation of Amigakit's SCSI to Micro SD card adapter
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmigOS

Sounds like fun!
I'll try to offer a small bit of help. HOPEFULLY it will come across as helpful and NOT as grumpy. I am old enough (and tired enough) that anything is possible. :)

While you gave an excellent description of what you intend to do, you were not terribly clear on what you need help with. Have you worked with SCSI before? If not, I can offer a few "generic" tips.

SCSI can support up to eight devices on a single interface. Each device requires a UNIQUE ID. No two devices can have the same id.. NOTE: The adapter itself is one of those devices, and will "consume" one ID.
IDs are often set with DIP switches.

The SCSI devices are chained together, and it is suggested/required that there is a terminating resistor at each end of the chain. Some devices (possibly your adaptor) have a resistor block that can be put in or taken out.

The 3000 has built in SCSI interface, I am not terribly familiar with it.
There are more than one "standard" pinouts for SCSI cables. pin/wire count is different between them.

Given the cost of SD Cards, it would be more than wise to get a few, and set aside "backup" boot disks, perhaps one as a clean install of the OS only, and another as a backup of your fully configured system.

SD cards are cheap, having backups of your machine are priceless.

Have Fun!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LyleHaze

Your flash intro to SCSI world is quite interesting...I am new to SCSI devices.

My main issue is knowing how to transfer information from the old or original 49MB SCSI HD used as the bootable unit, and clone all that to the micro sd card that I will use with the SCSI adapter.

I also want to know if it is possible to prep the card in WinUAE, like format, add partitions, select filing system (FFS, PFS or SFS), etc.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
You need to go online and search setting up SCSI chains and learn about termination man.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmigOS

I expect "Clone" might require identical drive geometry. Thjat's not going to happen.

I can't help with WinmUAE etc.. Out of my experience circle.

Good Luck!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
You can copy all the files and everything onto the scsi adaptor if you have the device on your chain with your original boot drive.

As far as config with WinUAE there is TONS of guides online.

Go to top

Register To Post