Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Amiga developers and coders only
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ferrels

You need to realize that porting programs, can be some time many times more time consuming then writing your own program. The problem is keeping up with versions, and having to make the same changes over and over again; to make things work.

Many of open sourced projects, have no appeal, because.

1. The license don't allow the developer to sell the software, developer can't make any money on it.

2. The project is too big, and too complicated to work on.

3. The version of software that is available works, and so there is no need to make changes. There is other programs that do the same, or as good.

Anyway a web site that provides a front end to open source projects on GITHUB/SOURCE FORGE/BIT BUCKET and other repositories might be useful, in many cases developers don't know about source code has been open sourced.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2015/12/31 0:56:13
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BSzili

I do.

But who talked about "Microsoft" or "OpenDocument"? I didn´t talk about that at all. IMHO, it is quite unimportant if a e.g. word processor is "compatible" to any standard and/or open source solution. Nobody would use e.g. LibreOffice on a PPC equipped classic machine. Not to mention doing serious work with this combination. So this port would be about fame, but not usability.

If I should use it on a x86/x64 machine, I wouldn´t use any AmigaOS derivate, because the AmigaOS port would be outdated by nature and would be haunted by security problems.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@whose

No OS is more secure then software you install.
If you do not know what you install on windows, there good chance your computer will just grin to Holt, as for security I'm a lot more concerned about everything that ends up in cloud this days. Then what is stored on my computer. But no matter what you do need to take backups.

One thing AmigaOS4.1 don't have is file sharing and back doors preinstalled, you need to install the back doors your self.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

I never said anything about open source. But since you mentioned it I'll point out that there are also quite a few closed source projects on git, svn, etc and some of them are also Amiga projects....closed source or open sourced, it doesn't matter. An inactive project is an inactive project.

And as a C/C++ programmer who spends most of his time porting Linux apps to Windows I do understand the nature of porting from one OS to another and I use SVN and git all the time. But inviting OS4 programmers to hang out at a Facebook page does nothing. Until there's an incentive (i.e. money and a consumer demand) for a programmer to pick up his keyboard and start coding again, these projects are gonna sit until hell freezes over.

Asking a bunch of programmers who have bills to pay to join a "virtual programmer's commune" on Facebook isn't going to get a damn thing done, open or closed source.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Frankly, rather than joining this vague Facebook initiative I'd recommend experienced OS4 programmers with some spare time on their hands to answer the A-EON call for developers. There's work to be done and projects for the taking.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
We have also wxwidgets port that never realised. To bad maybe we could have DaveAE's audioevolution5 for our system.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Rigo, why not have both?

Maybe some people like to use amigaos but needs some linux app? Seems nicer to double click an icon than run to another computer...

I am sure 99% of the users understands the difference between a port and an app developed from scratch for amigaos...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@spotUP

a Linux emulator?

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt
Quote:
a Linux emulator?

Do you mean something like AmiCygnix?

Now that I think of it, AmiCygnix already has most of the basic applications.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@mason

Thanks for the latest AISS release, I see a bunch of other new icons I requested and some I have not but will definitely find a use for!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)