Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »
Re: Warp3D SI : The fastest card
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@all

So what's the best gpu card for sam460ex? I do have sata card in pci, so it must not be so big.

Thanks

Sam460ex 2GB 120Gb SSD&1Tb HD7750 Envy24HT A-Eon Drv 2.10+Warp3D New Uboot
Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Kicko

I know how you feel

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Sam460ex
Sapphire RadeonHD 7750 1GB (single slot)

Quake3 Demo4: 22.9
Cow3D : 128

AmigaOne X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Does anyone have "X1000 with RadeonHD 7770" to test cow3d?

So far it seems:
Sam460cr: 120FPS
X5000: 230FPS
X1000: ???FPS

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@KimmoK

I would be amazed if the X1000 broke the 100fps barrier.
Something is really messed up with the X1000 and Cow3D.

I hope to hell it is not some hardware limitation on Nemo...

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@noXLar

check my post #63

Sam 460EX, 2Gb Ram, Radeon R7 250, AmigaOS4.1 FE
A4000 PPC604@233, Mediator
A1200 PPC603@160, Mediator
uA1 G3@800, 512 Mb [sold]
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@KimmoK

The R7-250x is a rebranded HD7770 so these results could be used :

Owner: zzd10h
HW: X1000 with R7-250X
quake3 timedemo1: ~51fps
cow3d: 90-95FPS

The cow3D seems to be affected by something other than the video card model because each NG model seems to end up with the same result when "b" is pressed.
144 for the Sam460 and 95 for the X1000 .

The interesting result is why is my Sam460ex Quake 3 result a few fps's higher than other Sam460's ?

Edited by Spectre660 on 2015/4/22 11:28:05
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Retested with the following results .May have been using the 1.9 driver previously

Sam460ex - Radeon HD7750 Warp3D-si 1.8
Quake3

640x480 - 28.6 FPS
800x600 - 28.2 FPS
1024x768 - 27.2 FPS
1280x1024 - 25.7 FPS
1600x1200 - 24.7 FPS

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre660

Mmm seems a very poor result :-/
With IoQuake3 at 640x480 i got 28.4 FPS (AmigaOne G3 800 + Radeon 9200)

And this with the old AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 and old Warp3D drivers

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@sofistisoftware

Is it the best card? Going for shopping within this week.. and want only the best non big card.. fan is not a problem, only size

Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@all

So is this card just okay or great or very good card too buy?

www.multicom.no/POWERCOLOR-HD7 ... MI/cat-p/c100133/p5515547

Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@samo79
yep.
Also Sinan's R7-265 should be leaving my HD7750 in the dust but results in the same ~26FPS in 1280x1024 .

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@noXLar

I think until now you can't find better (one slot) card.....

Sam 460EX, 2Gb Ram, Radeon R7 250, AmigaOS4.1 FE
A4000 PPC604@233, Mediator
A1200 PPC603@160, Mediator
uA1 G3@800, 512 Mb [sold]
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@sofistisoftware

Thank you, i go for that one then:)

Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre660

Quote:
640x480 - 28.6 FPS
800x600 - 28.2 FPS
1024x768 - 27.2 FPS
1280x1024 - 25.7 FPS
1600x1200 - 24.7 FPS

To compare here is the benchmark under Sam440ep Flex 800 (Radeon 9250) AmigaOS 4.1 Final

640x480 - 21,4 FPS
800x600 - 20,2 FPS
1024x768 - 17,3 FPS
1280x1024 - 13,6 FPS

The old Warp3D drivers never be any good aswell, but considering the results that one (for RadeonHD) seems even less and less optimized ...

Edited by samo79 on 2015/4/24 1:18:37
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

While newer drivers with additional optimisations are being beta tested, I feel the need to address this:

Quote:

The old Warp3D drivers never be any good aswell, but considering the results that one (for RadeonHD) seems even less and less optimized ...

If you're expecting performance to increase linearly with GPU processing power then you're always going to be disappointed. It just doesn't work this way. There are various possible bottlenecks that can limit performance and GPU performance is only one of them. The CPU also places limits on how many render ops and vertices can be processed per second. In our case we're also dealing with an old API that puts extra load on the CPU, and yes, that most certainly does get in the way.

Warp3D has no hardware Transformation Clipping and Lighting (TCL). This means that all of those calculations have to be done on the CPU (by MiniGL). There's no way that any driver optimisations can eliminate this overhead.

Slower CPUs (like Sam4x0 machines) will have greater trouble with the additional overhead of software TCL than faster machines, and this is exactly what we're seeing in the results posted to this thread. Just compare the Quake III fps achieved by A1-X1000s vs Sam460s with the same card. Don't forget that the game itself also needs CPU processing power for game logic, sound, rendering, etc.

There are other factors at play (e.g., no GART support), but I think that I've said enough to prove my point.

So, while a more optimised driver is coming, please consider the limitations that we're working with, and adjust your expectations accordingly. The drivers are doing quite well considering the limitations it has to work within.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

Quote:
If you're expecting performance to increase linearly with GPU processing power then you're always going to be disappointed. It just doesn't work this way.

Yep but considering that one of the purposes of supporting Warp3D on the newest cards were about gains some speed ...

Quote:
There are various possible bottlenecks that can limit performance and GPU performance is only one of them.
The CPU also places limits on how many render ops and vertices can be processed per second. In our case we're also dealing with an old API that puts extra load on the CPU, and yes, that most certainly does get in the way.

Surely CPU is an important factor and i agree, however under the same machine, a Sam460 with a lower gfx and with a similar operative system like MorphOS 3.8, this system can provides results four times higher with Quake 3 !

Quote:
MorphOS = 100+ FPS <---> AmigaOS4 = 28.0+ FPS

Does MorphOS have any support for TCL or Gart in its video drivers ?
Honestly i doubt ... but even assuming that TCL is already supported in MorphOS, how can we justify a difference of four times under the same machine ?

I'm not blaming anyone of course, only I would like to understand from where it comes all that huge difference between our 3D, especially from a pay driver an average user would expect much much more !

Quote:
So, while a more optimised driver is coming

Ok this is good news, but only if not only a facade improvement, after all that years of wait users start expecting a significant improvement to justify the expense ...

Aniway changing argument (but not too mutch) I was wondering if eventually other programmers have the rights to access to the latest Warp3D's sources, a few days ago I spoke with Massimiliano Tretene (m3x), he was willing to help out, even only for look at ... but he was never be able to do so ... can you help him ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
Yep but considering that one of the purposes of supporting Warp3D on the newest cards were about gains some speed ...

The purpose of the W3D_SI driver was to provide people with PCIe machines and Radeon HD cards usable 3D today, rather than to keep them waiting for Gallium3D.

Quote:
Surely CPU is an important factor and i agree, however under the same machine, a Sam460 with a lower gfx and with a similar operative system like MorphOS 3.8, this system can provides results four times higher with Quake 3 !

Newsflash! MorphOS has hardware TCL! Considering that they designed their own private 3D driver API when hardware TCL was a standard feature, they'd be fools if they didn't use it.

Quote:
... but even assuming that TCL is already supported in MorphOS, how can we justify a difference of four times under the same machine ?

Hardware TCL really is a big deal, so yes, that alone is a major factor. Plus, MiniGL isn't exactly the fastest. Those who choose to use Warp3D directly and do their own software TCL achieve faster results.

NOTE: I'm not saying that lack of hardware TCL is fully to blame; only that it alone could be enough.

Quote:
Ok this is good news, but only if not only a facade improvement, after all that years of wait users start expecting a significant improvement to justify the expense ...

Now you're just being insulting...

I've now explained twice why you can't expect too much from a Warp3D driver. If you continue to expect miracles, then I can't help you.

Quote:
Aniway changing argument (but not too mutch) I was wondering if eventually other programmers have the rights to access to the latest Warp3D's sources, a few days ago I spoke with Massimiliano Tretene (m3x), he was willing to help out, even only for look at ... but he was never be able to do so ... can you help him ?

That's up to A-EON. However, if m3x really wants to help, then I suggest that he looks at MiniGL's source-code. Redesigning MiniGL's internal render pipeline would probably help a fair bit,** although I'm not sure that it's worth the effort (after all, MiniGL + Warp3D is set to be replaced).

Hans

** For starters, it should try to deliver large vertex arrays to Warp3D rather than cutting them up (and even emitting single triangles) during clipping.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Samo
Quote:

Does MorphOS have any support for TCL or Gart in its video drivers ?
Honestly i doubt ... but even assuming that TCL is already supported in MorphOS, how can we justify a difference of four times under the same machine ?

Dunno about Gart, but TCL and VBO for sure:

VBO (check line "Faster 3D Drivers (VBO)")

TCL (check line "TinyGL indeed supports TCL")

Add on top of all that their 3d system designed well from scratch, while our warp3d too old, even for amigas, and Hans only make a driver for what we have, and not whole new subsystem with new internal APIs. For sure its better than waiting for Gallium another 15 years ?:) Sure perfomance wise some may be disappointed after years of waiting, but such a life, we should be thankful that amikit spend their own money and Hans his time, on making that "stop-gap" stuff, so at least there possible to use 3d.

Once there will be TCL, GART and all that stuff, and minigl will make use of it, then we can for sure compare things. But for now it's even will be good when we will reach half of perfomance of quake3 at least with all current limitations and shortcomings. And probably we will: latest beta vesion of w3d_si noticable faster than 1.8/1.9 versions. But you can't expect miracles, at least while there is no TCL, which is shitload of work, just morphos devs already done with it, while we are not.

@Hans
Quote:

after all, MiniGL + Warp3D is set to be replaced

:) Probably after years of waiting of that gallium thing (remember that topic on aw.net, where few years ago i say that it will take in the best case 2 years, but maybe more, and everyone was jump on me ?:) ) Now how many years passed .. 3 , 4, 5 , do not remember. But what i trying to say, is that probably it is worth to improve minigl. As when all that mambo-jambo with gallium will see light no one know, and even when it will, no one know what kind of speed it will give for os4.

So, making today w3d drivers and improve minigl are 100% good and right thing. Probably even impove w3d whole subsytem are worth too , if someone will pay for it of course and someone will be in interest to do so :)

Edited by kas1e on 2015/4/24 8:46:15
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
... But what i trying to say, is that probably it is worth to improve minigl. ...

Well, if there's someone able and willing to give it a shot, then I have some ideas that I could share on how to improve it.

Hans

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »