Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Headlines

Register To PostTopic is Locked  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: AmigaOS support forum.
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ddni

Don't worry about OS4.1 development. We had a lot of updates last year (Amiupdate). More than Linux updates

A lot of new software: MUI4, Odyssey, RunInUAE, YAM etc.

I'm very satisfied with the OS 4.1 development.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@All

Do you need any information about Linux on NG Amigas in this forum?

If not, then I'll stop the Linux threads in this forum.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:

(and yep, for any outsider it looks like this when he go on hyperion's forum and there is all topics in active state about linux).

Not really as an outsider can't see the unread posts list so only sees the titles of the threads (and possibly post count) and as I pointed out only 11% of them are linux related, so the AmigaOS far outnumbers the linux content.

An to be honest beng able to run linux as an extra *is* a selling point, even if it might be odd to buy for only linux

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

I know that the OS4 development team work much harder and faster then the Linux team. But most of their work is secret (NDA). A lot of things were not posted in the Hyperion forum. Nevertheless the OS4.1 developer do a lot and more than the Linux developer. Our work is open and we can give more information to the community.

Don't worry about the OS4.1 developing.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Valid points. For me, after a year away I logged in there, clicked on unread posts and was shocked at the imbalance between Linux and Amiga.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Maybe the Linux xenophobes would feel better if the Linux forums were in a seperate block at the bottom of the forum list. Below the "Developer Support" block there could be a "Linux Support" block.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Does not disturb me at least.

Actually thread "CFE settings for some Linux distributions" was intresting, because Im not newer seen X1000 live.

And I think, that everything will be more quiet, as long as Cyrus porting continues. Just my humble opinion.

Edited by Mlehto on 2014/1/24 15:46:31
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amigakit

"Three months time"
That is a very specific time frame... Intriguing.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xeno74

I think its interesting, to keep a eye on Linux, but I feal like its a bit of information overflow. I don't understand the need to cross post it on all the forums, way not just keep it one, I keep reading the same thing over and over.

The Hyperion forums is intended as support forum for AmigaOS, where you post if you have problems, its not intended for casual posting, this forum should not be used for this.

Amigaworld.net and Amigans.net are forums amiga users to post about things they want to share whit others and also to debate and share ideas, you should pick one, and or start a blog, so we know where to find this information.

I'm shore I'm going to install Linux at one point, I'm a bit scared to mess up my AmigaOS instillation, as AmigaOS is the most important.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:
THis is as silly thread there are 11550 posts in the OS support section of which only 1342 are linux related that's about 11%

So far, we have had 0.5% of the users complain about the Linux sections on the support forum.

I'm open to suggestions especially from our Linux brethren.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie

This is NOT a complaint about Linux as an OS. It is just a light hearted observation that recently the AmigaOS support forum seems to have more Linux activity than AmigaOS activity.

No one should take this so seriously as to get offended or interpret an official complaint. If I wanted to formally complain, I would take it to PM.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
I have no complaint about Linux development at all. I mean it's great the people feel the need to spend countless hours developing Linux for their AmigaOS machines. Personally if I was going to run Linux, I'd go and buy a super-cheap Gerbil, and run it on that.

My beef, is the fact that the Hyperion AmigaOS support forum seems to be littered with Linux news. Now I feel the clue is in the name, "Hyperion" and AmigaOS". Neither of which have anything to do with Linux, so why is it even there?. If these stalwarts want to promote Linux for whatever machine, why not do it on a Linux forum?, the HYPERION AMIGAOS support forum is surely not the place for it...

Any of the AmigaOS customers that are interested in Linux would no doubt visit a Linux based forum to get news on their interest, just as any Linux user wanting news about AmigaOS would visit an Amiga forum, no?. I do not personally see the need for cross-pollination. While it continues, I'll simply avoid it.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ssolie
I for one appreciate Hyperion hosting the Linux Forum. I would suppose all that visit these forums are also NG Amiga owners and AmigaOS users with a further interest. For those that don't like it ask yourselves "what do I gain if it goes away"?, then ask yourselves "what does some of my fellow Amigans lose" and consider if it worth driving another wedge in this already small fractured community.

Personally I really appreciate all the support given by Spectre and others of late, it has made my SAM 460 much more usable whilst we wait on further AmigaOS development. I actually think of the opinions expressed as very small minded.

ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Spectre660 has ended his support for the Sams.

Quote Spectre660:

Quote:
@Xeno74 Thank you for your support but it is time for me to move on. The thread on Amigans.net showed me the light.

He has deleted all Linux downloads, posts, and screenshots in the Hyperion forum.

@Spectre660: You have done a lot of very good work for us. Sorry about this. I'm so sorry.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
The Linux discussion is limited to a separate subforum and not integrated with the AmigaOS discussion, so what is the problem? As an X1000 owner I have found the information and the discussion very informative and helpful. Having Linux on hardware that also runs AmigaOS is a handy thing for some customers, and these customers of A-Eon hardware of course are also Hyperion customers too. It's a kind and helpful (and mutually beneficial) service for Hyperion to host this discussion on its established forum platform rather than insisting A-Eon create some other support forum elsewhere for this.

Where's the beef, really?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@xeno74

Oh no.... I just read to the end of this thread after making my post above. This is very unfortunate. :(

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ddni

Content now ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mbrantley

Quote:

The Linux discussion is limited to a separate subforum and not integrated with the AmigaOS discussion, so what is the problem? As an X1000 owner I have found the information and the discussion very informative and helpful. Having Linux on hardware that also runs AmigaOS is a handy thing for some customers, and these customers of A-Eon hardware of course are also Hyperion customers too. It's a kind and helpful (and mutually beneficial) service for Hyperion to host this discussion on its established forum platform rather than insisting A-Eon create some other support forum elsewhere for this.

That's a sane point of one and one I would tend to agree with but

Quote:

Where's the beef, really?

I can see the other side too, that it clutters up the unread and new posts setcion with a generally oftopic stream (if your primary focus is provide or receive techhelp about AmigaOS) particularly when there is a surge in new linux related news.

A compromise might be to limit questions and posts to installation / dual boot with AmigaOS issues, with general linux usage issues going elsewhere in the loonixverse (where they would be bwtter answered). There are are forums for "amiga linux" support (on aw.net for example) if people going out into the wider world too scary...

If there was an unsubscribe from forum option that would help the situation some as well, as I'm sure no one objects to the existence of the fora just to the content that's in the way of what they wanr / need to read.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I always had the impression that something was going on with all the linux-stuff in conjuction with AmigaOS. I was really thinking what's the reason to merge linux in Amiga forums. Especially when people give so much money for their favourite OS, and they see almost everyday news about linux-that and linux-this on AmigaOS 4.1.

Although I admire the time and effort they make for their linux distributions on AmigaOne X1000 for instance, sorry that I will sound harsh, but I really don't care about linux, windoze etc. I only care about AmigaOS.

I don't know how many AmigaOS 4.1 users are using their machine in daily basis, but for me, AmigaOS 4.1 (since 2008-2009) is my mainly computer system, no linux, no windoze systems at home. So when I see in Amiga oriented-forums about linux, is really something that I don't like to say the truth, especially when I see them on Hyperion's forums. It gives me the impression that Hyperion is looking elsewhere beyond AmigaOS.

Maybe I'm wrong. I thought that Hyperion was only for AmigaOS 4.1, and not irrelevant (for me) linux stuff. Only time will tell.

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top

Register To PostTopic is Locked
« 1 (2) 3 »