Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 67 68 69 (70) 71 72 »
Re: Odyssey 1.23 progress: r5 RC2
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw
Quote:

The binary for Odyssey is huge - some 36 MB. Because it is >32 MB, its PPC FP op-codes can't be translated into SPE op-codes and it will have to run under emulation on the A1222.

36? It is 60 when unstripped, and almost 50 when stripped.

Quote:

Can you split part of the browser off as a library, to keep the largest binary down below 32 MB?

LibWebCore.a alone about 80MB when building happens. For granted that with debug info, but not sure if it will be less than 32MB.

I mean, of course, it is possible to make all the internal libs to be as shared/separate/etc, but not sure if we can go below 32, and more of it, it's huge-big-time-consuming work will be, that for sure.

But if anyone wants to do so, i can help with all info i know about it.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

Perhaps Trevor should have thought of that before picking an awkward CPU chip or perhaps he can sponsor some work to bring an up to date web browser core to Amiga.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@NinjaCyborg

Quote:
Perhaps Trevor should have thought of that before picking an awkward CPU chip

I don't think it was Trevor's fault: the CPU was most likely recommended to him. Possibly by the same genius who advised him to put the useless Xena/Xorro stuff on the X1000/X5000.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Advised by Varisys.. Good thing they have also pre-paid a 1000 CPU`s already At the same time we ordered and pre-paid for all the long lead time items including 1000 Freescale P1022 CPUs so we would have the key components available once we started the full manufacturing run.

Source: https://www.exec.pl/article.jsp?nid=18 ... iew_with_Trevor_Dickinson

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm getting CPU spikes (100%) all the time with latest Odyssey (clean install) and Amigans.net loaded.

It's so bad that Odyssey misses my keystrokes when the spikes occurs.

Latest OS 4.1 on a Sam460ex@1.15 GHz

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
When I move the mouse over a link Snoopy says: FAIL: GetVar codeset_default etc.

1.23 r5_beta07 works fine on the same machine.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

@tonyw
Quote:

The binary for Odyssey is huge - some 36 MB. Because it is >32 MB, its PPC FP op-codes can't be translated into SPE op-codes and it will have to run under emulation on the A1222.

36? It is 60 when unstripped, and almost 50 when stripped.

What matters for whether LTE can be used or not isn't executable size but how big the code segment is (".text" section in ELF files).

Running "ppc-amigaos-readelf -e" on the Odyssey exe it reports that the .text section is just a little over 33 MiB.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salas00
Quote:

Running "ppc-amigaos-readelf -e" on the Odyssey exe it reports that the .text section is just a little over 33 MiB.

For me, it reports 210713c, ~35MB.

Do we need exactly no more 32MB, i.e. 31.9 will fit well or do we need around 30 and no more to be on the safe side?

Basically all we need then, and to make some of the 3d party libs be shared. The biggest ones which inbuild staticaly are:
libicu libs : 11mbl
libxml2: 2mb
libjpeg: 1.5mb
libfreetype: 1mb
libsqllite3 : 1mb
libcurl : 0.8mb
libwebp : 0.5mb
libxstl : 0.35mb
libexpat: 0.3mb

While libicu ones looks as good case, they very hardcore crap and hard to build, etc and surely will be not very easy to make it be shared.

Imho the ones which should be not _that_ hard and which can be make as shared are:

that will give us in summary ~5mb less which should fit.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

For me, it reports 210713c, ~35MB.

Only if you use SI units where 1 MB = 1000000 bytes.

Using binary units it is ~33.028 MiB where 1 MiB = 1048576 bytes.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salas00
Indeed!

So maybe for the test, we can build just libxml2 as shared. It will save us 2MB and we can see if SPE will deal with it. I do not have experience with creating true amiga libs. If it is easy enough and can be done fast, maybe you can grab the latest libxml2, make a shared library from it, and I can then build test odyssey binary and we will see how it goes?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
If you look around I think you'll find there are already amiga-ized versions of some of these at least

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Care to give any link on?

We talk about real amiga libraries of _latest_ versions. Not 10 years old ones, or 68k ones. Exactly native amigaos4 xxxxx.library , which of the very latest version (which i use in Odyssey now).

For example, the only real amiga library of libjpeg i found is jpeg_lib from 24 Sep 2006. Absolutely no go. webp lib also from 27 Sep 2012, also no go. for xml2 and FreeType I found nothing on os4depot, only the same link libraries as I use.

We need _shared_ versions of _true amiga libs_ exactly of the latest versions of things i use now statically inbuild in the odyssey. Not sobjs, not link libs which all of us can /configure;make , but wrapped to the real amiga libs.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

If I understand you correcly, you want to split the static linked library into a regular amiga shared library (.library) and a static linked wrapper library.
The static linked wrapper library contains calls to the newly created amiga library.
To make it a clean implementation, the static linked wrapper library must open and close this library each time the amiga library function is executed afaik.

In case of the jpeg library, you could also create a wrapper for jpeg datatypes.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@geennaam
Yeah exactly. Link libs in this case will be a few bytes only, and whole real code in real shared amiga library. I do not know how internaly those library wrappers works, but from user pov you just open a library one time on running and close on exit (but internaly very possible that link-stub-wrapper will open it each time for each call).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Are those static linked libraries plain C or C++?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@geennaam
Quote:

Are those statically linked libraries plain C or C++?

Almost all of them are plain C. For example those ones which i checked right now:

libfreetype, libxml2, libwebp, libcurl, libjpeg - all of them plain C, but can be used of course from C++ too. But sources of them all are plain C

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

It depends on library and how they are used.

You need to turn a shared private library into an amiga public library.

this bit of issue is public variables in staticky linked or shared objects is private to the program, that uses it. While public variables in Amiga library is public to all program that use the library.

So what you need is an instance to hold copy of “public” variables per application.
instances can be allocated in the interface and the interface can be unique per program.

If global are stored in interface the data is also available to the application.

YourInstance = (struct YouInstance *) (((char *) (IInterface) - (IInterface -> data.NegativeSize));
YourInstance -> libGlobalVar = 33;
(but you can hide “YouInstance -> “ with an macro.)

Edited by LiveForIt on 2022/1/10 19:05:19
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hey,

for some reason when I load up odyssey now I always get "initialising fonts". I cannot remember this happening before. Not sure what I have done / changed.

No big deal, but wondering why it is happening all of a sudden if it is not normal.

Thanks for all the work !

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rjd324
Quote:
for some reason when I load up odyssey now I always get "initialising fonts". I cannot remember this happening before. Not sure what I have done / changed.

This is a long time known issue. You'll find your answer here:
Fix Odyssey font loading

Note: The font directory is located in the Odyssey/Conf directory.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Not sure if related to latest MUI5 or just Odyssey, but i can make the browser crashing at startup in this way:

1 - Using the latest MUI5 (expired) nightly build
2 - Launching Odyssey as usual by double clicks
3 - When the expired window popup appear on screen, instead of clicking to the Continue button, just pressing the Enter key

--> CRASH

What is strange is that if i press Continue in MUI expired requested, then Odyssey will be normally opened .. but instead it always crash if i press the Enter key instead!

But pressing Enter should be theorically the same as pressing the Continue button no?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 67 68 69 (70) 71 72 »