Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Is VOiP Available For AOS4?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Can it or Skype or something else is available on AmigaOne, the Sams or X1000?

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Re: Is VOiP Available For AOS4?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
No.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Amazingly, the Amiga was perhaps the first home computer that did VOIP way back in the late 1980's, early 1990s...can't remember exactly. But there was an old VOIP programs on Aminet for Amiga OS2.0 which I used with great success. Probably won't work now with changes to protocols etc.
Similarly, I recall using a voice activated command program from Aminet or Fred Fish that allowed you to speak commands to your Amiga by plugging in a microphone to any one of several audio digitzers and you could tailor any command to any DOS command line in a script. Great stuff. I used to really freak out my MAC and PC friends by turning on my Amiga and just talking to it and having it open programs, or even speak back to me in return. Great times!

Scott

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Does anyone want to write it in C or Hollywood?

If I was able to code in Hollywood, I might be able to do it. Unfortunately, I've found that I can only code in AMOS. I bought Hollywood thinking I could use it but found that I couldn't.

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi ScottCabit,

1) I did not know Amiga was able to do that!!!!

Even though not knowing it, that is one extra reason I can heap onto the thousands of reasons why I will never leave AMIGA.

Amiga was so superior to anything else, and I feel that it still is, even in it's current "unfinished" state.

It simply has the "correct fundamental philosophy" at it's core and that I can relate to. BeOS may have been close but it never really was properly available so I've never used or even seen it. Atari's TOS wasn't even close to AmigaOS. Everything else is a bloated shambles and much too convoluted to understand.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Hemm I think you can just pipe the audio trow the TCP: device, and from there into AUDIO: device, but not there is no software like that, we need it, and there are some open source alternatives to look at.

Ekiga

http://ekiga.org/download-ekiga-binaries-or-source-code

Mumble is QT based VoIP program, for gaming.

http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum ... 0&mode=0&type=0&order=ASC

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I bring it up because I have an idea of how to do it.

I thought of it over one year ago and forgot about it. I think that there was one part that wasn't possible at the time.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Does anyone want to write it in C or Hollywood?

If I was able to code in Hollywood, I might be able to do it. Unfortunately, I've found that I can only code in AMOS. I bought Hollywood thinking I could use it but found that I couldn't.

I can code in Hollywood but as it doesn't support gadtools or reaction and I don't have the mui version of hollywood I've given up with writing anything that needs a gui with it. I did try writing the gui in amiblitz and grabbing it as brushes to use in Hollywood but it never really worked well.

Personally I'm peeved with hollywood, I saved up for years to afford to buy it, then bought it a couple of weeks too soon to qualify for the free upgrade to V5.0, never could afford the designer. Then I got hold of enough to upgrade and I couldn't because it wasn't for sle, now the money has gone it's available again (sigh).

Ps. I still don't like the bloatedness of hollywood apps but then I'm probably too stuck in the values of the 68k classics where an app over 870k wouldn't fit on a floppy

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
The Amiga won't ever get Skype support, since it is a closed protocol which uses public key cryptography (which can't be broken), unless you can magically convince the owners of Skype (Microsoft) to support the Amiga...

@Severin Quote:
I've given up with writing anything that needs a gui with it.

You could always learn a language which does easily support native GUIs:
http://cshandley.co.uk/portable/examples/#ex19
http://cshandley.co.uk/portable/examples/#ex6
http://cshandley.co.uk/portable/examples/#ex2

And without having to worry about the unnecessary complexity of MUI coding (unless you want to!).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
does portable support creating custom udp payloads and recording via ahi ?

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jurassicc
The short answer is: Most likely!

The longer answer is: PortablE doesn't provide any simple beginner-friendly ways of doing those, but anything that can be done in C can most likely be done in PortablE too, so I expect both should be possible.

Recording via AHI isn't something I've had a need to do, but I don't imagine it would be much more difficult than playing via AHI, which is something that I've done.

Networking stuff isn't something I have any real knowledge of yet, but I have implemented basic networking support for AmigaOS4 (basically translated the most important C headers), and if there were any missing headers that were needed, then I could probably add them. As I recall, some simple networked AmigaE programs seemed to work. At some point I do want to write networking programs myself.

P.S. I have no knowledge of Hollywood, but I doubt it could do the networking task you described (for a start it would be too slow, given it is an interpreted language).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Does anyone want to make the first VOiP for AOS4? It could even PROBABLY work on AOS1.3 through 3.x!!!!

Why?

Because, AOS is the SUPREME OS!!!!!!

(Only AOS coders need apply, I think you know who isn't "qualified".)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Atheist wrote:

I thought of it over one year ago and forgot about it. I think that there was one part that wasn't possible at the time.

YES, there was one part that wasn't possible on AOS4, but it had not occurred to me that, it COULD BE DONE on AOS1.3 through 3.x!!!!!!

That's right, VOiP on an Amiga 2000, with a 68030 @25 MHz and higher!!!!! (Maybe even a 14 MHz 68020!!!) The BIG obstacle? LOW RAM. Needs about 16 Megs, maybe 32.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
At some point I do want to write networking programs myself.

An Envoy replacement? That would be nice with automatic compression

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
So, anyone want to do VOiP Amiga style, for AOS4.x (or 1.x-3.x, 68K)?

I have "The Plan".

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

facebook has a function to perform HD video calls and HD Voice calls through messenger, if a plugin is required for Odyssey that could need to be written but you would need to have a UVC USB driver written for usb video camera or microphones as far as understand.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Fairdinkem,

Isn't there a 3.5 mm audio jack on every audio card, and can't that input be digitized (on an AmigaOne AOS4.x)?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

Yes that is valid I guess if you only want voice, in your original post it mentions Skype and I immediately thought video calling. I guess it depends on how far you want to take this. I have always hoped AmigaOS would grow to support UVC USB cameras so video calling with the likes of Facebook HD video calling would become possible.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Fairdinkem,

At the time that I originally posted, I don't think that Skype was able to do video calling.

I was meaning VOiP, strictly, as in audio. If someone wants to write it, I have an idea (since a while back).

PM me.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist
I don't personally see a use for VOIP, unless it is compatible with a major standard (like say Skype). I imagine your "solution" would be Amiga-specific...?

P.S. Skype has always supported video calls, AFAIK, or at least for a decade (i.e. well before this thread).

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »