Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Advice for a Scanning Newbie
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
In the last couple of days I was given an old USB flatbed scanner (UMAX Astra 1220u). I have gotten it to work with my Linux box (sort of; it has a habit of locking up in that system), and my OSX Mac (using a dedicated power strip to shut it off when not in use; cool power strip by the way: Trip Lite Isobar 8 RM, it has a remote reset switch at the end of a long, heavy duty cord that you can use to shut it off without getting out of your chair ). I am in need of a bit of advice (thus the graphic):

Resized Image

What is the best and easiest way to get rid of the bleed-through (this case was, of course, a folded calendar, so a multi page document printed on both sides of the paper)?

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Re: Advice for a Scanning Newbie
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

Try adjusting brightness to 15 and contrast to 30 on this picture. That is probably the easiest way.

The problem is that the colours go into the paper and changes its behaviour in light.

The only thing you can do is to use a dimmer light in the scanner, but than you will get other problems. Like bad contrast and more noise when expanding the contrast.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

When I think a little. There are two other alternatives too, but they are not easy.

1. Scan the other side also. Mirror it and subtract it with the same intensity as it appears on your picture.

Important to think of to succeed:
a. correct rotation of both sides
b. correct amount to subtract.

2. Paint the back side with the same kind of black colour. The problem is to find the right colour so you don't sabotage your picture. If it goes to deep into the paper, it will ruin the picture it self.

So, this probably leaves only my first "easy" tip or number one here. Number two is probably out of the question.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@FihmpenRouk

I seem to remember someone telling me years ago that they used a large sheet of black cardboard or construction paper, putting it directly behind what they want to scan. They told me that this reduced the bleed-through effect greatly, but I don't remember how good it was.

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

I didn't suggest that since I assumed that your scanner has a black background on the lid.

But, that's correct. It's better, but if the paint has soaked into the paper (as it almost always does more or less), it doesn't help much. Thin glossy paper is very hard.

Go to top

Register To Post