Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)
Re: OS4 netbook!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
any new info?
Its around the time we thought it would be out.

Erm, no. And why do you think "it's time we thought"? I personally never heard or read of a release date in Q1/2012.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Releasedate is Q3/2012

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

tommysammy wrote:
Releasedate is Q3/2012

Where did you hear that?

Lets hope they are on track to release it on time then eh!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Tajmaster wrote:

Quote:

tommysammy wrote:

Releasedate is Q3/2012

Where did you hear that?

Lets hope they are on track to release it on time then eh!

He might have read it in post #1:
"- AmigaOS *is* running on the device, although in a very early state. There are questions to be answered still, so the tentative release date is somewhere near the middle of 2012."

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Nice mockup of Amiga netbook, (original photo)
Example of getting more sales channels:
"The Linkbook netbook will run on custom Ubuntu OS, LinkOS and will come at $25 with a two year contract for Vodafone subscribers in South Africa."

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Considering the Timberwolf discussions make it sound like an enormous amount of RAM is required for it to run, I really do hope that the people behind the netbook will include enough RAM to be able to run that. I had to go back to the beginning of this thread to remember that someone "thinks" that the prototypes have 512MB, we've seen elsewhere that 256MB was about the minimum that Timberwolf at the time would even consider to function.

yes, I understand that this netbook is not meant to be the high-performance laptop I really wish for, but I do hope that it will be capable of Timberwolf when I can buy one. A portable is my only realistic opportunity to use AmigaOS again, and I am really hoping that timberwolf will be possible on it.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
If the netbook is a variant of limebook, it can be built with 1GB RAM, IIRC.

But little miracles need to happen to make timberwolf fast on it. Timberwolf might be good benchmark for optimizations.

- Kimmo
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
A-GO-KNEE A-GO-KNEE!!!!!

I wish that they'd release more details....

BUT I wish that when they say "We are starting to sell it...." that the time will be one week before a person can actually buy it. They should even say NOW how much time it will be between the announcement "it will be sold...." and the day it WILL be sold.

I very much hope that it has an external VGA and/or DVI connector.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Well, we're in the middle of 2012. Any further news about that AmigaOS 4.x-laptop?

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist Quote:
They should even say NOW how much time it will be between the announcement "it will be sold...." and the day it WILL be sold.

I very much doubt they KNOW how long development will take (unless they are virtually finished). Estimating development time for any software development project is hard... estimating it for something as complex as an OS (and it's complex interaction with the hardware) is VERY hard, especially if you are on a tight budget. Hence the much-used "When it's done" answer

The only thing we can say in "Amiga land" (i.e. anything Amiga-related made by anyone) is that everything seems to take long than expected, and so any dates mentioned will probably be missed... Let's just hope they don't miss them by much!

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Does this mean anything?

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... wmode=flat&order=0#688880

Like I said, I'll be getting a FEW!!!

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I think he doesn^t meant the netbook

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

tommysammy wrote:
I think he doesn^t meant the netbook

No He doesn't - Sadly.

Am afraid, that barring a miracle, the chances of the Netbook making an appearence is very slim.

I'm afraid I cannot say why, but alas, it looks like its going to be a loooooooooooooonggggg while
(if ever)

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey
Sad as my A1 is dead and I'm not likely to get another desktop computer ever again.

Well, I might get a SAM for my company but I had really really hoped we would have a portable device by now, and I would have preferred something more powerful/usable than the Limebook.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@troels

Seems like the A1's are daying slowly one by one.

Get a sam460 in the meantime
I'm also waiting for a portable. Let's hope it comes 1 day.

Well, when talking portable. They could have gone for the powerbook as there is no competition on the laptop marked.
Since acube and aeon only have desktops.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
To my understanding the netbook was going to be produced and sold by third party OEM. So, I believe some if not all of the funding for the port should come from that direction.

So in the end, it's not just up to Hyperion to announce further netbook news and possible reason for delays might also be from outside.

"They could have gone for the powerbook as there is no competition on the laptop marked. Since acube and aeon only have desktops."

There is no documentation for any powerbook HW, that's why it should be a lot more work to support some PowerBook model than LimeBook. It took more than four years (for MOS Team) to build support for some rare PowerBook models.

- Kimmo
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)