Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
MUI OWB fonts problem
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi Guys,

I have the following problem:

I first installed this browser on my Update 3 "first attempt" (ie: installation of Update3 on top of my previous/used Update2 installation) and everything was fine: I installed the additional fonts with the provided script (by the way, the mos icons were used and all I had to do was double clicking the icon) and since I already had Code2000 in my fonts drawer it was parsed along with the other at first boot.
As advertised it does so only the first time, subsequent launches were fast.

Due to other problems I performed a tidy clean reinstall from scratch of the OS (Update1 from the ISO CD, then Update 2 and then 3) transfered on the system (from a back up CD) the MUI OWB LHA, unpacked it and I immediately noticed something strange:the mos icons were gone and I had to launch the download fonts script from shell (probably I'm missing some PNG icon handler I previously had).
The Browser launched and parsed the fonts but I forgot I had no Code2000 installed yet. Since I had Bitstream Cyberbit too, I used this first (installed with typemanager of course) closed the browser and at boot it re-parsed the fonts again.

I said to myself, "well I just added a new one, good". I tested some japanese websites, but the font was a little to light so I decided to install Code2000 as well. I closed the browser and also installed code2000 with type manager. When I re-launched MUI-OWB it re-parsed the fonts, and I said to myself: "well I just added a new one, good".

However it does so all the times now, I even tryed the FixFonts utility (hoping it would fix the database or something) but in any case, every time I launch MUI OWB the font parsing happens again and it takes a lot of time (very annoying).
Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Re: MUI OWB fonts problem
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Make sure you have MUI-OWB on a file system that can handle long file names. If you don't MUI-OWB can't create the cache file...

/Me, myself and A1G4!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
It was on a JFX4 partition, so I guess no problems there. I say "was" because due to other reasons I cancelled that folder, and re-downloaded the file from OS4 depot (in another JFX4 partition).
Since now all the fonts are already installed (I still performed the Font_Download script berore launching it the first time though) and it was a first launch it parsed them all once, and now it starts fine (problem gone).
But I wonder wether or not, installing new fonts in the future might cause troubles again...

Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'm assuming you've added the missing greater-than symbol to line 26/27 (I forget which) in fonts.conf?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I added the OWB "Launcher" icon to my dock, and if I recall correctly the > was needed for the standard OWB icon (otherwise an error message pops up).
With the launcher icon this doesn't happen, and both the first time I installed the browser and the last time (a few hours ago) everything went fine because I never added fonts after installation/first launch (I have no problems at the moment, I click the icon on the dock, MUI OWB starts lighting fast, no Font parsing after the first one ever again).

The problem happened when I kept adding fonts with TypeManager after the first launch/parsing, as in subsequent launches it would perform the parsing every time I launched the browser. it seemed the correct thing to do when there were new fonts, but the problem was it kept on doing it even when I stopped adding fonts.

Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DAX

Maybe something goes wrong with some font and that is why it tries to regenerate everytime?

About the icon: It is a PNG icon and you probably had that png icon patch installed before you wiped and reinstalled.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
Maybe something goes wrong with some font and that is why it tries to regenerate everytime?

Could be, however now that it works fine it does so with the same fonts he didn't like earlier (so the question is, why it didn't like them earlier on and it likes them now?).

I don't know, but to me it has to do with First time with all set or not. What I mean is that if at the moment you run the prograsm for the first time you already have all your stuff in place it builds the cache and all goes fine, however, if you add fonts with type manager "After" it has already built a cache, it misbehaves (just my guess).

Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Surely the launcher only supresses the shell output and the fix in fonts.conf is still needed.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MickJT & DAX:

Yes, indeed. After adding the missing > MUI-OWB did a complete font parsing run and starts without reparsing the fonts all the time now. This is true for both "versions", plain OWB and OWB launcher. I wondered, too, and read about the missing > in the font.conf for the first time here

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
my MUI-OWB is fast and rock solid but everytime I close it I get the following open screen message:

"Fontconfig error: line 27: not well-formed (invalid token)
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file"

everythign else seems to be working fine but how can I get this pop up to disapear?

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DAX

In the MUI-OWB directory, delete ((32chars)-ppc-amigaos.cache-2) from Conf/font.
When you restart MUI-OWB, the file deleted above will be re-created (takes time).
Subsequent starts of MUI-OWB should now be OK.

Edited by Lemen on 2012/2/1 16:11:56
Edited by Lemen on 2012/2/1 16:13:09
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
That is useful info...

My problem with MUI-OWB is that I need to put the Launcher in the dock but every time I launch it for the first time it takes ages to start, it loads lots of fonts.

It only does it the first time, if I launch it again it runs straight away...ideas?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

MickJT wrote:
I'm assuming you've added the missing greater-than symbol to line 26/27 (I forget which) in fonts.conf?

I'm missing these lines altogether? can someone please post them here

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Surprised no-one mentioned how to fix the problem where MUI-OWB reloads the fonts each time it is started. This seems to be due to a MUI-OWB bug, and the solution is to delete the OWB folder "Conf/fonts" before you start OWB.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
This is a bug in the fontconfig OS4 port, to be exact.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Um, post #11 ?

No need to delete all contents of "Conf/fonts".
Just the one file mentioned at #11

Edited by Lemen on 2012/2/2 18:37:27
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
Surprised no-one mentioned how to fix the problem where MUI-OWB reloads the fonts each time it is started. This seems to be due to a MUI-OWB bug, and the solution is to delete the OWB folder "Conf/fonts" before you start OWB.

thanks for the info as it god rid of my Line 25/26 error but now always getting OWB screen saying
"Fontconfig error: cannot load default config file"

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@328gts
Wierd. Unless anyone has any better ideas, I suggest renaming the MUI-OWB folder, installing it again from scratch, and then copying over your old bookmarks.html file. You could also try copying over your old .prefs & .db files inside the Conf folder, but keep a backup copy incase the problem re-appears.

@fab
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I should have said "It seems to be a bug in the MUI-OWB *port*" if I wanted to be more precise.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

You gave us the tips how to install WebCore fonts. The sites in RA OWB looks very good now. Any idea how to do that in MUI OWB? How to configure the prefs to use the same fonts?

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ ChrisH

this thread over at AW solved it for me.

mancave-ramblings

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »