Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
242 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 242

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Paying an Amiga developer
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Troels

Wow for $6500 you are a CEO of a small company here in France.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
First we must reach an agreement ourself about the software we want to develop, then knowing already the amount needed we must join the money.
I think that it?s better ask to the developer how much money he wants to make the software we need and make a dead line to finish instead keep paying to the developer a salary.

SAM440EP 667Mhz A1200/060 Mediator
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Elwood

Quote:

Elwood wrote:
Hello everyone,

You know already that "union makes strength" so I thought what about using this to pay a fulltime developer?
If we all give 10$ each month, we can reach at least 3000$ without problems.

This would be enough to pay a full time developer to develop what we all want.

How does it sound?

But would everyone agree on what "we" want?

'non fixed' A1XE, USB card, Sil 0680 IDE, 512mb RAM, Radeon 9250, OS4.1 Update 5
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

How's this for a plan?
1. We brainstorm for projects.
2. We prioritize by voting on the projects.
3. We solicit proposals, requiring a resume, timeframe and price.
4. Then we deposit the money for the project(s) we wish to fund with a trustworthy person who will act as a banker.
5. Programmer will be rewarded for coming in ahead of schedule and penalized for missing the timeline, so much a month.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Just my opinion...

I no longer give any money to pre-orders or bounties. I would rather have a product that actually exists, that I can evaluate before I put money towards it. That is why I purchased or made donations for IBrowse, OWB, DVPlayer, AudioEvolution, RDesktop, and others.
I've not donated to the Mozilla bounty, but if it is a good product then I'll gladly buy or donate.
I think if people have not already given to some of these authors then that should be the first priority.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

Maybe for porting program like amicygnix, gimp, ambiworld, pigdin,.... to AOS4. Working mainly on GUI and additionnal libraries,...

- More chance to found someone for porting thing.
- Result available before a real special port.
- More chance to foun people to donate if general software.

Programmer with free time or no job actually with skill and knowledges are also needed and It's surely more hard to found than money.

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Elwood
I know 2 different developers (winblows..) that have salaries in that range, they are at different companies and even get a nice bonus each Christmas. I thought it was pretty common in western Europe.

I should have been a developer

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Troels

It's never too late to start.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I like this idea a lot but I can see that there might be some problems to iron out before it would be possible.

The perfect solution would probably be to have one of top programmers - at Joerg level - working full time.

Anyway, I would be willing to pay around 100 danish kroner (13-14 euros) a month to such a project.

Basically, I am in if it is possible.

MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Troels

ehm.. where do you live?? i want came near your little house!! 6500$ for a developer??

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@afxgroup

Troels is Danish, as am I... And 6500 dollars doesn't sound wrong for a programmer...

I found an article from the Danish paper ComputerWorld stating that the average salary for programmers and system developers was around 7000 US dollars in 2006. So Troels' figure is surely right.

Edited by Skov on 2010/2/11 8:46:17
MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@afxgroup

eheh, for that amount we should all learn coding

Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@RacerX

Quote:
But would everyone agree on what "we" want?

We can all vote, and then we must stick to the decision.
And before that, we should discuss the pros and cons on each software to be developed.

As I see it, projects should be those than can make the platform more interesting, so I would concentrate first on software for developers. gdb comes to mind.

Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

So.. shoot a program that you want to see on our platform so we can start the discussion

My wish is.. A package that have a Word processor and a Spreadsheet that can read/write Word .doc and Excel .xls types. Could be OpenOffice or, for instance, Cinnamon Writer(if the author wants)

SAM440EP 667Mhz A1200/060 Mediator
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Troels

I doubt a freelance would earn such amount or at least not on a regular basis, would it ? If yes let me know where is your country's immigration bureau so that I can officially ask for a VISA

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood

Last time I was working with "softies", I was working with a team of four of them (I was the hardware guy that designed the equipment they were hired to program). They were contractors, writing in Ada for Windows NT and all paid about $80/hour or $3200 per week. That was ten years ago, so prices must have nearly doubled since then.

Unless you can raise a reliable source of $25k per month, I think you're wasting your time. For that money I'd want the guy/lady to be working at a desk in front of me where I can check up on him/her.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

Exactly. People forget the difference between an employee and a contractor. With this supposed scheme you'd need a contractor since otherwise you need to employ someone and arrange for his medical, pension (dunno if this is what's called in English!) etc. A contractor would need to have an hourly rate of 3 to 4 times an employee rate, so you'd need about 10 to 16000 euro a month and that translates to even more in USD.

Forget this idea, just use plain bounties.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The last job I worked at was a temporary job for 3 months. It paid $15 an hour plus an additional $7.50 an hour for overtime (overtime in USA is anything over 40 hours a week). I had some rudimentary medical benefits and was able to live for 6 months on the proceeds from the 3 months that I worked. After that, I couldn't renew the lease on my apartment and had to move back in with my parents. That is where I am now.

I'd be interested in doing some development for Amigans but my Micro-A1c is loaned out to DiscreetFX for use on the development of Aladdin 4D and I doubt I'll be buying another AmigaOS 4.x-based system soon. Does anyone here like classic Amiga AGA software?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AlfaR0me0

we have AbiWord and GNumeric under AmiCygnix that works pretty good for .doc and .xls files..the only issue is you need a faster machine to be able to scroll large documents comfortably..of ocurse a native port would be nice

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@thread

get a freelancer website have small projects and a good idea of prices.

A good developer can easily port to Amiga when given API documentation and a way to test it.

http://www.getafreelancer.com/projects/by-job/C-C.html

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »