Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

samo79, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Turboprint & Workbench printing lock-up.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
Without Turboprint Started at all, Notepad, PrintFiles, and InitPrinter, all work fine.
If I then start Turbprint I get the following Message
RemDevice Failed
Can't remove original printer.device.
It would seem Turoprint can only be started safely from WBStartup!!

I have found that the execute bit on printer.device was not set, but setting it doesn't sem to have changed anything.

Quote:
Your error suggests something still had the print device open.
The only thing I have printed from is Notepad, which is still open when I launch Turboprefs.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

** Bump **

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi,

Quote:

I have Turboprint v7.0 set up in WBStartup.prefs, and it works fine, but when I try to print from Notepad my whole sytem (A1XE G3-800) locks up.

I can confirm I am getting exactly the same when printing from Notepad, or from the shell. In fact anything using prt: rather than printing graphics will lock up.

The printout works but then The A1 is left in a locked state.

Printing works fine where a graphics file is sent to the printer, WW7, DrawStudio and Digital Universe all print fine.

Note this is different to the problem I mentioned earlier - which also only affects text printout. That appears to be a Turboprint driver problem when using the parallel device. It is something to do with the Canon i560 driver, my previous printer an Epson behaved perfectly using either paralell or USB.

That problem I have with this driver did not cause a lockup with previous versions of OS4, yet I do get the lockup you describe using the OS4.1 update. The lockup eems something to do with TP itself now rather than just a driver.

A bit of a pain as I now have to cold reboot after printing any text

Bill.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BillE

Quote:
I have Turboprint v7.0 set up in WBStartup.prefs, and it works fine, but when I try to print from Notepad my whole sytem (A1XE G3-800) locks up.
------- snip -------

A bit of a pain as I now have to cold reboot after printing any text

The problem is that Turboprint is the only decent printing system available for OS4, and so many people use it!!

I can't work out what has changed, because replacing the components with the OS4 versions does not solve the problem.
My Turboprint install is the same one on both OS4 versions (on Work2:), and trying the OS4 drivers and mountlists doesn't help.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:

The problem is that Turboprint is the only decent printing system available for OS4, and so many people use it!!

Exactly. Many modern printers do not have a text mode so you do need to use Turboprint for the "Text as Graphics" option. I wopuld not be able to use my Canon at all without TurboPrint.

It is a pity that the OS4 native printer drivers are so limited in both choice of printer and functionality.

Nothing with Turboprint has changed so it must be the update that is the problem.

I did try disabling JIT for TurboPrint but that did not help either.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
BUMP

@Swoop

> A bit of a pain as I now have to cold reboot after printing any text

Same here.

Any news on this from anyone ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BillE
I sent Zedonet an email about the fact that Turbospool freezes my Sam. They kindly suggested that I just not use Turbospool and went on to say they don't support Turboprint for AmigaOS 4.1.

I have same issues eveyone else has but I can print to my Epson StylusPhoto1280 using Turboprint's Epson StylusPhoto1290 driver and the usbprinter.device. I learned here that I can print text files using Multiview, so life is good.

I have also dicovered that when I print from an Amicygnix program I can print using generic postscript and lpr.device. I just wish I understood why I can't use lpr.device in non-Amicygnix environment and why Multiview is only way I can print a text file with Turboprint.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Thread

Please, check in your TurboPrint prefs this :

* In the Printer Tab, use Turbo-Par
* In HardCopy Tab, only tick PowerPC support ("Menu Resident" and "TurboPrint Resident" must be UNTICKED)

In WBStarup prefs (AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1), load TurboPrefs and TurboSpool

I have nothing regarding TurboPrint in the Black List compatibility.

With these settings, I don't have any more problem with TurboPrint printing (except that when printing huge PDFs, GS sometimes hangs without any explanation).

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

Quote:

tlm wrote:
@BillE
I sent Zedonet an email about the fact that Turbospool freezes my Sam. They kindly suggested that I just not use Turbospool and went on to say they don't support Turboprint for AmigaOS 4.1.

I have same issues eveyone else has but I can print to my Epson StylusPhoto1280 using Turboprint's Epson StylusPhoto1290 driver and the usbprinter.device. I learned here that I can print text files using Multiview, so life is good.

I have also dicovered that when I print from an Amicygnix program I can print using generic postscript and lpr.device. I just wish I understood why I can't use lpr.device in non-Amicygnix environment and why Multiview is only way I can print a text file with Turboprint.

I have never used Turbospool, so that is not the cause of the lockups.

I'll try printing from Multiview to see if that helps.

Unfortunately my printer, a Canon i560 is one of those that does not have its own fonts, so Turboprint is required in order to be able to print plain text. Otherwise I could have just reverted to the OS4 generic driver for plain text.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@K-L

Quote:

K-L wrote:
@Thread

Please, check in your TurboPrint prefs this :

* In the Printer Tab, use Turbo-Par
* In HardCopy Tab, only tick PowerPC support ("Menu Resident" and "TurboPrint Resident" must be UNTICKED)

I trid enabling the PowerPC support, though I never needed to before. It does not help, I still get a lockup after printing plain text, which requires a full reboot.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

Quote:

This is not quite true or at least not clear - of course you can use the lpr.device from every program, I'll do this all day - I have a PostScript/PCL5 network printer attached and all runs smooth.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L

What machine are you printing on if you can use Turbo-Par ? I never used that even when I had my A1 (with a paralell port....)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BillE

If you need to print text, have you considered using gslp.ps ?

ghostscript:gs -sDEVICE=turboprint -- GHOSTSCRIPT:Data/8.54/lib/gslp.ps <somr text file>

works fine, it paginates, word wraps and titles / numbers the pages.

Also by changeing the DEVICE you get added advantage of being able to dump text to an image or PDF if you need to.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

As in my signature : an AmigaOne G4 with an HP 840C connected on the paralle port

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L

Hmmm could you do me a favour?

Print something from ghostscript via -sDEVICE=turboprint, with the bot the Turbo-Par and standard parallel devices? And report the results back, particular what is and isn't printed on the command line?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@BillE

If you need to print text, have you considered using gslp.ps ?

ghostscript:gs -sDEVICE=turboprint -- GHOSTSCRIPT:Data/8.54/lib/gslp.ps <somr text file>

works fine, it paginates, word wraps and titles / numbers the pages.

Also by changeing the DEVICE you get added advantage of being able to dump text to an image or PDF if you need to.

Now that seems to work.

A lot more to type though than "copy <filename> prt:"

Also it does not seem to interpret escape codes, but at least it prints without crashing

How on earth did you come across that esoteric gobbledygook BTW ?

Also applications that use prt: or printer.device to print plain text will not be able to substitute this command sequence as they will be hard coded.

I do hope the OS4 devs will track down whichever kickstart module is failing now which used to work before.

The ATIRadeon.chip is known to be faulty in the OS4.1 update 1 too. See http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... e=&topic_id=3670&forum=28

Now if only I knew which module to roll back to get TurboPrint working again !

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cha05e90

Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
This is not quite true or at least not clear - of course you can use the lpr.device from every program, I'll do this all day - I have a PostScript/PCL5 network printer attached and all runs smooth.

I do not have a native postscript printer; I have an Epson StylusPhoto1280. When I try to print to it using lpr.device outside the Amicygnix environment I get a message that says, "Failed to receive acknowledgment (negative acknowledgment)" or some such language. That's what I find puzzling. There is some Roadshow parameter that needs to be changed (I guess), but I don't have a clue what it is.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)