Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

white, Georg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Why when SAM crash = freeze ????
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

Using the SAM regularly and when the SAM crash, the pointer freeze most of the time.

I, I think I could said that, see verry rarely the grim reaper, who came to show the crash and most often the pointer is freezed and the only possibility is to switch ON/OFF the SAM (the reset keyboard not work).

I'm not using kernel.debug but It's the same with kernel.debug.

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Re: Why when SAM crash = freeze ????
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

What sometimes happens is that a crash occurs in some application when you do something, eg press a key, click on an icon, etc. The kernel is servicing the input interrupt when the crash occurs in the application, so it is the kernel that crashes, locking the system.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I hope that Update 1 is released this year!

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr

Same here on my Sam Flex

A lot of 68k/WarpOS applications freeze ...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

That can be due to bad programmed programs and maybe not os4's fault.

I do get ramdom lockups of os4.x. Then i can reconnect the mouse/kbd,and it works some more time,untill it all stops. Believe thats an usb thing,think that will be fixed when the update comes out.

Quote:

samo79 wrote:
@Mrodfr

Same here on my Sam Flex

A lot of 68k/WarpOS applications freeze ...

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
You all can be sure, that is not SAM problem :) On peg2 i also have freezes from time to time. Not so offten , but still, when i use it heavy with 10-20 progs in backgorund, on some stage it's freezes (the very popular freeze - when i swithch from one window to another. I think it's some dos/intution bug, which i hope will be fixed in upcoming update).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

That's ok but OS4 does not freeze as is, this is my problem, if i'm working, for example if i'm writing a doc or other important job and then open a bad written software i'm not able to risk to loose all my work

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It's the same for me, using AmigaOne G4 800MGhz and OS4.1.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@All

It's too crazy to not have, whatever the crash came, to have allways a grim reaper (and kill or not the app) than a mouse pointer freeze and only the ON/OFF solution !!!!!

I'm not talking about the fact to use 68k program or not, this problem arrive also with ASO4 program (or It's related to USB init or interrupt).

If a crash came, we must have allways a grim reaper or the fact to reboot with the keyboard shortcut than put ON/OFF the main computer...

I could see in the answers that we are all affected and with the same point of view than me...

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr

what programs crash, can you give examples?

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt
I had Filer and/or E-UAE causing the problem, but is probably caused by a bug in one of those programs. I have not noticed the aformentioned problem in general, but only with a few specific programs (and only some of the time). If someone is running 10-20 different programs, most likely one of them is to blame for the freeze.

Still, I hope that Update 1 fixes it, as one or more OS4 testers were quoted as saying OS4.1 is very stable on their Sam440 now.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

I have freeze when i try to start (normal double click in this case) EvenMore text editor, past release of AmiArcadia and many other 68k programs

Often I have similar problem also using OWB, for example if I get a crash with it (DSI error and so on) I can't close the program in GR window, so the UI of OWB remain freezed at some point

Not to mention the WarpOS games ...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mrodfr
As Kasle has mentioned about his peg2, SAM is not the only hardware that can experience freezes when running OS4. I have a SAM Flex and a ?A1 and here is what I have noticed:

1. SAM Flex - Multiple freezes per day of use (3 or more).

2. ?A1 with USB keyboard/mouse input - Several freezes per day of use (1 or 2).

3. ?A1 with PS2 keyboard/mouse input - 1 or 2 freezes per week of use.

My experience seems to point to a need for better USB stability. In addition the SAM has some known data alignment issues (math related) that might be causing some problems. In fact (as noted in a recent UtilityBase thread), the SAM processor does not even support certain low-level math functions that other PPC processors can handle. Hopefully, most of these issues will be solved in the upcoming OS4 update. If not, we will all need to stock up on antifreeze

Go to top

Register To Post