Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: OS 4.1 and Blu-Ray
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cyborg

Quote:

Cyborg wrote:
@Antique

Quote:

Antique wrote:
Any plans to make support for blu ray disks for os4(reading)?

Are you talking about plainly reading DATA of a blu-ray? I.e. you want to copy something from the disc to your HD or so? Isn't that already possible? As Blu-Ray discs use UDF as filesystem... shouldn't it then already be possible to read them (as plain data discs) on AmigaOS? Or would the UDF implementation in CDFS need an update? J?rg?

As far i know, Blu-rays uses UDF 2.50 and AmigaOS only support UDF up to version 1.50.So you cannot read blu-ray movies disks, you only can read data blu-rays that have been recorded in UDF 1.50

"A man is only as old as the womans he feels"
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Slayer

I don't know in what way the commands differ for BluRay writing from DVD, but if joerg implemented the BluRay command set in AmiDVD, then it should be possible to do backups on BluRay discs using the ISO9660 filesystem (which AmiDVD uses as well), and that should be perfectly readable by our current CD file system. So I think it's a matter of when joerg gets a BluRay writer and some time/motivation/donations (hint ) to add support for it in AmiDVD.

As for UDF, the changes for BluRay are not very major, so in my opinion it would also not be too difficult to add the BluRay extensions needed to read those. DvPlayer's DVD plugin implements UDF as well, however as far as I know BluRay movies use some new type of encryption method, so I guess you would not be able to play most commercial BluRay movies due to the same reason you can't play them with DvPlayer's DVD plugin, only with the libdvdcss-based plugin, but since BluRay uses a different encryption method libdvdcss will not be very useful.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Fernecho

Here there are the links of a linux tools for blu-rays and UDF.May be somebody can take a look if a port is feasible and useful (if not has been/is being ported yet)

-dvd+rw-tools:

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/tools/?M=D

-Blu-ray video authoring tool:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfi ... =198536&package_id=235917

"A man is only as old as the womans he feels"
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@COBRA

Quote:

COBRA wrote:
@Slayer

I don't know in what way the commands differ for BluRay writing from DVD, but if joerg implemented the BluRay command set in AmiDVD, then it should be possible to do backups on BluRay discs using the ISO9660 filesystem (which AmiDVD uses as well), and that should be perfectly readable by our current CD file system. So I think it's a matter of when joerg gets a BluRay writer and some time/motivation/donations (hint ) to add support for it in AmiDVD.

Understood and yes, sounds promising, perhaps joerg will look in his diary for the upcoming year. Ah! May looks free

Quote:

As for UDF, the changes for BluRay are not very major, so in my opinion it would also not be too difficult to add the BluRay extensions needed to read those. DvPlayer's DVD plugin implements UDF as well, however as far as I know BluRay movies use some new type of encryption method, so I guess you would not be able to play most commercial BluRay movies due to the same reason you can't play them with DvPlayer's DVD plugin, only with the libdvdcss-based plugin, but since BluRay uses a different encryption method libdvdcss will not be very useful.

Yes, probably some time before this all gets implemented to a suitable standard and by then who knows perhaps there'll be a faster cpu to actually play them smoothly, I still refuse to believe in x86 port :-p

Thankfully though myself, I'm not interested in playing dvd movies or otherwise on a personal cpu. There is already dedicated far superior hardware available that I have and use. Don't get me wrong, the option is nice and I know you code such things, so no disrespect, I just wouldn't use it myself very often

digital media, mp4 avi etc is a different story

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@SoundSquare

Quote:

and stick with 4gb ? what's the point ? get a dvd burner instead.

Salut .!!! ( Hello.!!! )

Have you read this post " Ars Reviews Amiga OS 4.1 by Jeremy Reimer ???.
In this web : http://arstechnica.com/software/news/2008/09/amigaos41-ars.ars/2

Little extract of post:

The underlying AmigaDOS file management code has also been revamped to be fully 64-bit internally?this means that for the first time, AmigaOS can handle files over 4 GB in size.

then not all is lost mi friend, i am waiting my Sam to try for write and read with Blu-Ray, not only for ISO images, but for BackUp media storage.
1 BD Single Layer = 5 DVD?s
1 BD Double Layer = 10 DVD?s

Lisardo.

AmigaONE X1000 First Contact
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cyborg

Quote:

Cyborg wrote:
@Antique

[quote]
Anyway... i think blu-ray is fairly uninteresting as data medium only if you can't watch movies of it .. there are enough other cheaper data media out there. IF we ever get a mainboard which supports technically modern graphics cards (PCIe 16x anyone?) AND IF we get drivers for those graphiccards which can enable the hardware decoding features AND IF DvPlayer learns to playback blu-ray stuff... THEN it gets insteresting and also THEN it would make sense to support writing blu-ray data. Thats just my opinion.

It is a good reasoning,
In all ways today great part of the PC of high half range already offers with recorder of blu-ray, the MAC also supports it, then each one that him of the utility that wants either for copies of security, to read and to write data or to watch movies.
If some day it leaves an AmigaOS 4.x or 5.x for PS3 for example, then they should implement it, since then she would not have hardware problems to manage the blu-ray, their CPU and their GPU have power more than enough for that. The AmigaOS in PS3 laughed perfect.

Lisardo.

AmigaONE X1000 First Contact
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)