Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

VooDoo, smarkusg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: OS4 vs OS3.9
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmiGubbe

When it's done?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rachy

Quote:

Actually, it outperforms 68060/50MHz on 604/200MHz most of the time and 68040/40 every time.

Heh as I said.. outperforms a 020/14MHz quite easily.

Too bad more people aren't able to use your great emulator.

Best Regards,

Harry

[SOLD] ?A1-C, 512MB, Antec Aria
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samwel

Two more weeks. (tm)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Thanks for the reply.

>OS3.9 NDK might suggest things that is no longer safe

OS4.0 doesn't seem to be very compatible with OS3.9 software, eg. several of my programs which are AFAIK 100% system-legal apparently don't run properly under OS4.0. It doesn't seem right to lay the blame for this on OS3.9, it is rather a problem with OS4.0.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Minuous

Quote:

Minuous wrote:
@LiveForIt

Thanks for the reply.

>OS3.9 NDK might suggest things that is no longer safe

OS4.0 doesn't seem to be very compatible with OS3.9 software, eg. several of my programs which are AFAIK 100% system-legal apparently don't run properly under OS4.0. It doesn't seem right to lay the blame for this on OS3.9, it is rather a problem with OS4.0.

You sure about that? OS 4.0 catches a lot more bugs than OS3.9 does. For example a "100% system-legal" app could still have a NULL pointer error that could work on OS3.9 most of the time (and crash the whole system the rest of the time); OS 4.0 would catch this and bring up the grim reaper. It catches other errors too. This is better than letting apps overwrite memory that don't belong to them, and then hoping that it doesn't kill the system.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

For example a "100% system-legal" app could still have a NULL pointer error that could work on OS3.9 most of the time (and crash the whole system the rest of the time); OS 4.0 would catch this and bring up the grim reaper.

No version of the NDK advocates this (writing to $0, etc.).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Minuous

Quote:

Minuous wrote:
@Hans

For example a "100% system-legal" app could still have a NULL pointer error that could work on OS3.9 most of the time (and crash the whole system the rest of the time); OS 4.0 would catch this and bring up the grim reaper.

No version of the NDK advocates this (writing to $0, etc.).

Correct. However, reading from $0 isn't legal either, but OS3.x doesn't enforce that; and it probably won't crash the machine when it happens either, that'll happen when someone writes using that pointer. OS3.x also doesn't protect code from being overwritten, or prevent unallocated memory blocks from being read/written. None of these are officially allowed, but with OS 3.x, it's possible. Amiga OS 4.0 will catch these errors and stop the application before it does any damage.

Whilst it may be annoying for someone who just wants old apps to work, it makes the overall system more stable; and it helps developers like me find and eliminate bugs.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmiGubbe

well for me the answer is yes yes cant wait.

why did u buy a ppc card if not to run ppc programs

and simple answer is under os 3.9 your ppc card is slowed down by having to switch between orginal hardware and

ppc .

under os 4.0 workbench will be run just of the 603 ppc cpu

bloody cool.

if your so keen on old software do what l did buy spare 1200

but think it should run we written meaning good software

well under its built in 6800 emulation software.

go get 2 copys os 4.0 yeee ha

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@actungbaby44

or maybe setup a dualboot machine

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)