Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »
Re: AmigaOS and web browsing in 2013
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Thematic

Yeah i know, is just a way to refer to that version

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@samo79

Samo just switched to the Generic version and it not crash like the Altivec...
now i will use only the generic.
Sed because the Altivec was running more faster :(

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Odyssey OWB is a great work by FAB however it does have it's problems and a lot of the solutions are a work around. By that I mean the scripts and pluggin to playback video in youtube are specific to the website to make it work.

I attempted video playback in youtube today with my pegasos 2 with the latest Odyssey OWB and all scripts and the latest swfdec pluggin plus spoofing turned on and not all videos work about 3 out of 20 attempts worked.

Odyssey OWB video playback in the browser with youtube uses the swfdec pluggin for flash playback which is really slow. The overlay mode uses MPlayer which is a workaround, and is not really playing the video in the browser.

I would love to see Odyssey OWB updated to parity for AmigaOS but only if there is no other viable alternative. I would prefer to see Timberwolf completed, as it is very usable on my Pegasos however it does need optimisation, and hardware acceleration, plus some tweaking of the GUI i.e. scroll bars.

I would also say I agree that 5K would better be used by being given to finishing development of some really important technologies like that which comes with Timberwolf or Qt5.

I agree with Ssolie.

What I would like to know and have clarified by SSolie, is if we do further support the development of Timberwolf with donations, who will be developing it, will there be faster periodical updates, and will there be ongoing development of Timberwolf browser after final release?

Qt is such a landmark development for AmigaOS however porting a software like QtWebkit is just that a port, after porting it, will someone maintain the development and updates of it with optimisations?

I think Timberwolf is the browser we should support, and 5K or a bounty could go along way to making it a finished reality.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Fairdinkem
The overlay mode in OWB doesn't use mplayer, but the hardware overlay provided by the video card. The only difference is that the video doesn't have to go through cairo, but goes directly to the video RAM.

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Anonymous
@Fairdinkem

My experience: OWB is fast, and more stable and feature rich. Here we could support full HTML5 in a way videos can be played with no tricks and Java support.

Timberwolf is great, but its "almost there" - bookmarks, saving files dont work well and You Tube play is slow motion. Hope it uses Amiga Java, but needs just these few fixes to be everything I need. Sadly it seems it will not be fixed, but new development on 22 will start, but that is on long stick.

I would like to see it fixed, and then in peace they can work on TW 22 as long as it takes.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BSzili

How to activate the overlay and not use the cairo ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Its fairly logical to assume that Timberwolf will be out next year after, and only after AmigaOS 4.2 is released. It has already been explained that Timberwolf needs hardware acceleration - this can only be realised once Gallium has arrived with AmigaOS.

Secondly, as I understand it the Friedens are responsible for both the Gallium and Timberwolf efforts - so one can conclude from this that once the first element is complete, the second should (you would hope) follow swiftly afterwards.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@djrikki

I dont know rikki ... Thomas look like very tired of all the pressure from the users , some of us (users) dont understand they have a real job and a real life..

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlosm
Just switch to fullscreen mode. If it works then you will see MUI controls at the bottom of the window instead of the youtube ones. Make sure you always have the latest youtube script, because google loves to break their html5 player.

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BSzili

ok thanks :)
Soon you will have your great Pegasos2 :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Fairdinkem

For your information, Youtube's HTML5 support is rather buggy for ALL platforms: just disable flash on firefox or chrome and use HTML5 instead, you'll see:
- sometimes the video is not available as HTML5 (which is why i wrote a script for this: it retrieves direct links and creates a builtin HTML5 player)
- sometimes the video is said unavailable, while it IS actually available
Sometimes Youtube insist on using Flash even though HTML5 is available (worse, the HTML5 playback begins for a couple seconds, and then they cover the video with their "you don't have Flash" stupid message). My script also try to deal with this, but it's not that easy
- Youtube fullscreen mode sucks, which is why i wrote a userscript to deal with it, where i enabled overlay mode when fullscreen button is pressed.

All in all, Youtube is really buggy, and the scripts i wrote are workarounds if you want, but it would be the same for TW or any browser not having Flash... At least, with the 2 userscripts i wrote plus swfdec plugin installed, 99% of Youtube videos work nice and fast (and NO, they don't play through swfdec... swfdec is only needed to shut up youtube when they think it's smart to enforce Flash. I replace the flash element with html5 video just after).

This is sad, because the HTML5 media implementation is entirely compatible, but we are forced to use tricks because of Youtube bugs... Fortunately there are many other sites working without the need for scripts like dailymotion, vimeo and many others.
Also, you're mistaken about Odyssey using MPlayer in overlay mode.
It's embedded in Odyssey. It's a standalone player, and it certainly doesn't need mplayer at all. You might have noticed similarities with MPlayer controls in overlay mode, maybe? Well, it's not surprising considering i also develop MPlayer...

@tlsom

Pressing the fullscreen button enables the overlay mode (until Youtube breaks it, then i have to update the script again).
You can also unsubscribe from Youtube's HTML5 program. That way the builtin HTML5 player should kick in more frequently instead of Youtube's buggy player, and you just have to press fullscreen button or contextmenu -> fullscreen to enable overlay mode.

Go to top
Anonymous
@djrikki

Well, yes guys are overloaded, but it would be fair to first release some kind of better working TW4 then to wait for OS 4.2 (still long way to go) and prey afterwords.

Trevor couldn`t confirm either will TW and Libre be ready by OS 4.2 - and that trio would make AmigaOS proud, productive and reveloutionary release, in terms of updates OS used to have after OS 3.0 (to oS 3.1,OS 3.5,Os 3.9, 4.0, 4.1)

Go to top
Anonymous
@Fab

Surely YT is buggy in HTML5 mode, but under "normal" FF works. For example, Iceweasel and Firefox PPC on Debian work superb on same hardware and same You Tube in HTML5 mode. Most of videos work like charm.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Fab

Sorry FAB I was mislead by your previous post which said something to the effect that you use the same MPlayer scripting to achieve your overlay effect?

I don't know what I have done wrong but I can't achieve what you do in terms of 99% of youtube videos playing back because on my peg running MorphOS it was 99% were not playing?

I don't understand why Youtube insist on flash they need to drag there HTML5 out of beta and into the forefront.

Aside from youtube I want an Amiga browser that can play video on any website which none of the offering seem to be able to do.

Thanks for your work FAB it is appreciated.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Fab

What you think if for 5k bounty there will be something like this:

1). open source of browser code
2). open source of html5 media-player
3). open sfwdec plugin port as well
4). open source all 3 party libs which used for Odyssey, and which was adapted for Odyssey (proper port of fontconfig, multithread libcurl on semaphores , pixman, cairo, and whatever else).
5). all your code since that, will have inside amigaos4/aros ifdefs, so , with every new version it will be pure recompile. That necessary part, so you will have ifdefs in code all the time, and we will no need to do the same again and again later.
6). for all new versions give os4/aros ports maintainers new code for fast rebuild :) Not only new code of browser/mediaplayer/whatever, but also new code of 3d party libs, which is pretty much important from all my past experience with all of this.

Because just opening sources, mean that again some of us need to report it all, and it can be done bad. Or at least everything should be opened what is necessary (threaded libcurl, fontconfig and everything where any single os specific change is done, even if something is easy for you and you think it will no needs to be opened, still, open it as well).

What you think ? Then we can make a bounty on power2people, and together with aros guys i am sure we will collect 5k.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Fab

nope no icons for full screen found , probably you tube have changed the html5 ... this why i never found it , the only way to see the video is go in Ipad spoof

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Man, you can set things in motion damn quick, I give you that. Hats off!

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

It will be perfect, check PM

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
If Fab says ok i say only this, Kas1e and all others wonderfull :)

There's some pages that problem with like now, crash and other that the gui looks totally wrong like different google pages, a page we use at work etc.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
5000 Eur is too much (in all cases). But all those requirements from kas1e are really good. Those have to be the minimum if anybody's going to even consider any kind of bounty.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »