Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »
Re: Whats next?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@CrhisH

While you right in general, still, that all does not matter about our topic, because facts are facts: All the os4 developers works in their free time, except brothers. There is no need to add "imho", "afaik" or "i think", because and brothers, and ben, and other core devs saying many times that.

And its pretty understanable, that they not have any time for making a videos for youtube and thefore bother about quality of that videos. And there is also can't be any imho/afaik/i think, its just like this, its facts, because we all see it (or we should see hi-quality videos all the days, done by os4core devs).

About what kind of flamewars you talk ? I say how it for real, the same what say brothers, ben and others: os4 devs works in their free time. Only brothers are full time ones (that facts, without imho).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
All the os4 developers works in their free time, except brothers. There is no need to add "imho", "afaik" or "i think", because and brothers, and ben, and other core devs saying many times that.

There are private contracts between various developers and Hyperion as well. I worked on a couple of contracts myself.

So not all AmigaOS developers just work for free in their spare time. And not just two of them are full time either. It really depends on what people are contracted to what at any specific time.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ssolie
Can you tell us if there are any plans for an office suite?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ssolie

regarding wordprocessor/officesuite...
1) Which way would you personally suggest ? Pushing CW ? Waiting for OOlight ?

2) As "Hyperion insider", what would you suggest, how to get a wordprocessor/officesuite ?

This is my opinion:
AW thread

regards Gero

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I hope that the friedens finish the tw port soon. And hope that they start working on open office or simlar.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I personally prefer to have AmigaOffice Rather than a OO port.

I think parts of OO could be used, for example file format compatibility, but for the rest, Amiga apps can be much more nice. I doubt we can expect fast and responsive OO on something like 400Mhz netbook, but some "designed to Amiga" -suite could fly on it.

So, I would vote for AmigaOffice that is being built from existing and future Amiga SW. I think it might require Hyperion or someone else to get to contact with AmigaSW authors to arrange the suite being built. It would be great if AOS4.2 comes with AmigaOffice lite. And that people could later upgrade to full versions of the apps they use most.

example:
- CinnamonWriter lite + AmigaWriter lite + Wordworth lite + ?
- PageStream lite
- HollywoodDesigner lite
- CinnamonSpreadsheet lite + TurboCalc + Gnumeric + ?
etc...

AOS should come with lite/demo versions of any application that it's author is willing to share and full version should be easily available via webshop..

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am in contact with the author of Cinnamon and he is interested. I plan to create a kind of office-package that connects by Arexx-Ports. Preferable would be (because of marketing) to have a well-known package like OpenOffice but that would be above our means (not realistic).

So my idea would be:
Cinnamon writer with Arexx-Port that is based (with extensions) on the port of Amigawriter
Muibase (existing on all platforms)
Ignition (Opensource and 68k) written in C and it should be possible to port it
Yam
Painting-Software f.e. XiPaint (i have contact to the author)
Hollywood Designer (Commercial on all platforms)

What do you think?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Olaf
Can you explain a bit more what you mean. I mean you saying about office pakage, and then in your list are "YAM" (which are mail client). Or you mean about creating some kind of offic package, which will have inside the same by logic as lets say ms-office ?

If so, then there is no big sinse (imho), as its all can be downloaded separately and used.

The real hope, its if Desler will just works more on Cinnamon, and will add there a native gui-menus (reaction or mui). In current form it looks very promising.

And because of this, imho only real point its just trying to help Desler (via donations, via ideas and so on), until CW will be fine enough for everyday use.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
CW is ReAction based right ?
Then if so (but even if not) ReAction menu would be better

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79
Quote:

CW is ReAction based right ?
Then if so (but even if not) ReAction menu would be better

Nope, it used custom gui layout done in the CW itself. Thats why you not have reaction based menus, images with aiss, and windowses looks a bit "non native" (as well as some bugs present because of that).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Ah ah ok, maybe that's explain way it's also a bit slow, even if latest version is now a lot faster than before

Aniway as native and original OS4 software Reaction would be better for that menus altrough i don't know if Desler at the end like to make it portable, if then maybe MUI can be the right choice for MOS/AROS

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79
Quote:

maybe that's explain way it's also a bit slow, even if last version is now a lot faster than before

Pretty possible (as it need custom (re)draw routines, and they can be done in any way). But on my peg2 that all pretty fast (and old versions, and new one).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@olafs3

Yes, please!
AmigaOffice that comes as basic version with AOS4 extras, I would love that, so would possible future newbies.

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I know OpenOffice and MS Office a little and have f.e. used COM to automate MS Outlook and MS Word. I would like to combine the different applications as far as possible and use the Arexx-Ports for it. I know the speed issue and will have to test it first. For adding new formats I think about the chance to create a kind of converter then can controlled by a Arexx-Port and so included in the applications.

One example would be (in my imagination). You want to use a spreadsheet with adresses for mail merge. Then you start cinnamon writer, select a menu point and select the source of data and the letter and press start. Behind the scenes a script starts that connects via Arexx-Ports to ignition and to the Arexx-Server (for converting and importing) and then the mail merge starts.

I am thinking about some sort of "Arexx-Server", a program that offers functions that miss in the programs (like support of new formats), which language should I use to make it best portable to all platforms? PortablE?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@OlafS3

Well, the idea is not bad... it would certainly not replace an OfficeApp, but could make things much easier.
I would, indeed, appriciate more integration between those applications. But the main features we need at the moment is a decent wordprocessor. Which Amiga proggy can do for example, proper tables ? None. So we need to do that first, otherwise importing tables, adresses etc. into CW or whatever doesn't make sense.

I guess it would be a good idea for a start to find out what most people need for "Office integration" (Poll and Prepoll).
Here are some ideas for "Office integration":

Adressdatabase like MS Outlook / syncable with different Internetbased Adressbooks (web.de/google....). MUIbase would be a good choice here.

(Adresslist)generation via CW/Pagestream

listmerge with CW/Pagestream

Calendar integration / sync with internetbased calenders

Adressbook integration from above into YAM (Systemwide Adressbook)

"Clipboardsharing" / How to display/print an ignition table in CW/Pagestream ?

Integration of simple vector drawing program (for charts etc./amifig) into CW

So, heaps of work to do. Here is a little example for integrating a Customer database (MUIBase) into FinalWriter. Including Adressmerging and Receiptprinting:

Full thread in german here:
A1k.org thread

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
interesting thread and application...

I had the idea to use the Arexx-ports (perhaps with special "Server-Applications" for a long time and as long as it is about starting complex, time-consuming tasks that are not needed in real-time and very often it should be at least useful.

For word-processor I would like to use/support Final Writer, Pagestream and expecially Cinnamon.

The idea is not replacing a out-of-the-box office-solution like OO or KOffice or LibreOffice but at least it would enable some things that are not possible right now and could make life a little easier.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Olafs3
How is it going?

@all
Dont rule out Koffice before alfkil say so

AmigaOne X5000
Radeon HD 7700
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
Dont rule out Koffice before alfkil say so

It is not ruled out, but I think OlafS3s approach is good anyway, an e.g. Systemwide adressbook can be used by quiet a few apps.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
One addition:

Amifig, a vctor-drawing program, Opensource, available on all platforms with Arexx-Port

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
While you right in general, still, that all does not matter about our topic, because facts are facts: All the os4 developers works in their free time, except brothers. There is no need to add "imho", "afaik" or "i think", because and brothers, and ben, and other core devs saying many times that.

In general: Sorry, but when you are *speaking on behalf of someone else*, you either need to make clear that something is your belief, *or* you quote them. Otherwise there is a chance you mislead people, simply because you are over confident. (If they have said something "many times", then it should be easy for you to quote then... but if that is too much bother, then just add "imho" or whatever.)

In this case: You talk like you have insider knowledge of Hyperion, but this is not true. They tell us a lot of stuff, but not everything, and yet you speak as if you know the *whole* story. Your overconfidence that you know all the facts could cause you to mislead people. Your have already been partially contradicted (by the post following yours).

Quote:
About what kind of flamewars you talk

The ones which *you might start* if you accidentally mislead people, and then then this gets taken as fact, and then people do or say something based on wrong facts, and then people get upset when they find out they were mislead & wrongly blame Hyperion (as they may simply remember the "facts" about Hyperion, and not who originally mislead them).

Quote:
I say how it for real,

Let me repeat myself clearly: I am not arguing about *what* you say. I am arguing about *how* you say it. Because I am worried about what you *might say next*.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »