Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
58 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »
Re: Getting Napalm to run on AmigaOS 4.1.2?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@hotrod

Haha, thank you very much .

So who am I? Short version: I'm just another geek with too much spare time.

Long version: I'm a retired symphonic violinist, who now spends most of his time in front of his beloved Amiga. If you are into music, you should check out my quartet:

http://www.cphjazzquartet.dk

(It's me in the back with the beard.)

Since the single most important resource for computer development is the developers time, and since I have lots of time to spare, I have been moderately successful in my attempts up until now. Qt was hard to do, though, the source code is so vast, that it is not meant to be a single mans job. Napalm is a lot more fun to do, since I get to play around with m68k assembler (GREAT fun!) and look under the hood of one of the greatest amiga games ever.

I hope this answers your question .

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

Hey, I write this whit your "Blue Rondo" in the speakers ( I prefer the old NICE version, whit Keith Emerson, but sounds good), great job in QT, I'm waiting to see your work in Napalm, it's a great game.

AmigaOne X5000 OS4.1 FEU1 And Lubuntu 10.04
1200 towered with Blizzard PPC - BVision and Mediator
And a new fantastic Chameleon64
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
News: Working on keyboard input, it uses keyboard.device, and it seems, that this device does not work at all with USB keyboards. Is this true??

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
It's a low-level driver. The USB driver just sticks keypresses into the input event stream so bypasses keyboard.device completely.

You'll need to grab the events at a higher level - since you're now using Intuition windows that should be trivial.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@chris

Hmm. Yeah, that's what I suspected. It is not so simple, though, since Napalm doesn't really do event handling the usual way. It just reads whatever lowlevel data is available at any given time. Also, it uses the READMATRIX function in the keyboard devive, and there doesn't seem to be an equivalent in any higher level devices.

Also part of the problem is, that it reads the CIAA_SDR register directly for part of the keyboard input. I have searched the RKM hardware manual, but I can't find a proper description of how this data is put together. The only alternative I have now is to search the scattered remains in the IRA output and try to figure out what a given number does in terms of keymap code...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@alkfil

just THX! for trying to get Napalm to work m8 :)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Are the keyboard functions in lowlevel.library any better?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Really thanks for all your hard work! I hope that Napalm, will the your first for plenty of games' patches to come xD Can't wait to play it on my OS4 machine :)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@chris

A good suggestion, but my first simple test seems to show, that lowlevel.library doesn't work on USB keyboards either...

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

alfkil wrote:
@chris

A good suggestion, but my first simple test seems to show, that lowlevel.library doesn't work on USB keyboards either...

Really? lowlevel routes through amigainput, which supports usb. It might be that the lowlevel.library keyboard functions aren't implemented at all though...

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Actually, that's a bit odd. AmigaInput *does* have a Generic_Keyboard driver, but it doesn't show up in the GUI like it used to (suggesting it isn't loading), which is probably why the LowLevel keyboard functions aren't working.

Maybe the version of generic_keyboard.driver is too low? generic_mouse (which does show up) is v52, whereas generic_keyboard is only v51. (yes, it's looking for v52, I just checked, reported on Hyperion forums http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=199)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Thanks for reporting the problem, hopefully there will be a solution soon.

In the meantime some news: Reimplemented the keyboard functions, and now the keyboard seems to be working ok (I haven't been able to check all the keys yet, but at least it scrolls and selects units). The game area only takes up half the screen (sort of 320x480, weird...), and the mouse movements and mouse buttons are not recognized. It's comming along slowly, though, give me another 14 days, and I think I will have something! (My first one week extimate was a little optimistic...)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Unbelievable work! Sounds really great!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
fully awesome dude!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Looking forward to it :)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil
Awesome :) Will be pretty interesting to complete napalm on os4 one more time.

Btw, about "The game area only takes up half the screen (sort of 320x480, weird...)", did you mean that now, whole Napalm resolution are 320x480, or, you mean that only plaing area are 320x480, and other parts of screen (640-320) - are for settings/house builder/etc ?

As far as i remember, Napalm have config where you can choice resolution, it it was something around 640x480 ? Or it always was 320x480 ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@alkfil

Can't wait to play Napalm natively on OS4.x! Come on, you have work to do cause we will also need a high resolution pack afterwards :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil

Nice progress

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@alfkil

Thanks for the answer and for the update . Sounds like you're progressing nicely and it's much fun reading about the progress you're making.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil
Keep it up.

Anyone knows where i can Get hold of the game? Or is tyst not possible any longer?

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »