Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

BSzili, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »
Re: Some OS4.1 bugs
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

It might be interesting to run a DirDiff on your Kickstart dirs on those two systems, plus perhaps Libs, Devs, Classes, Sobjs?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@m3x

I tried to email to an address I found from your profile. I got answer: "Delivery Status Notification (Mail Delivery Delayed)".

@thread
I get endless yellow alerts when trying to kill that test program with GR. Maybe we all can investigate this a little further.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@thread:

1) I can confirm the endless recoverable alerts here

2) Can anyone confirm the multi-assign bug that I mentioned earlier? (Read prev. post).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@thread:

Sadly or happily I can confirm it here too. On A1 XE ad Sam440Flex

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all
I would appreciate if people would create their OWN threads for their OS4 problems, because I get spammed by "new message!" emails every time someone posts something here (even though it now has nothing to do with my posts).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

umisef put it quite well here.

Btw. it seems to happen more frequently, or possibly only, on A1, not on SAM. Could it be some A1 specific driver or module?

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Deniil

I have a SAM-flex, and I have the same problem

Quote:
2) Can anyone confirm the multi-assign bug that I mentioned earlier? (Read prev. post)

I withdraw my statement, as I cannot produce this problem anymore here. Maybe an update 2 fix

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Deniil

Well, as I said before, I tried it on my Sam and my XE, and both systems do not exhibit the symptoms described.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Sorry about that... But maybe you need to name your threads very specifically if you like them to stay onto your initial topic...

"Some OS4.1 bugs" sounded like a very generic and open thread for all kinds of OS4.1 bugs so I just used it.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo
Quote:

This WBStartup bug has been fixed in 53.20.
Simon

Great! Squashing bugs will certainly improve everyones perception of OS4 reliability. I just wish that we could get more "minor" updates out to the public for further testing. The current reporting/fixing/releasing cycle has been a tad slow in my view.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@xenic

Hopefully, that can change in the near future...

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

Quote:

MichaelMerkel wrote:

i also tested it.

1. on my normal system grim reaper crashes
2. on a clean system (us4.1upd2 installed - nothing else) grim reaper works fine!
3. on my normal system, bootet with no-startup, loadwb "manually xeceuted" and no wbstartup at all, grim reaper also crashes!

i don't wonder about 1+2. but 3 is strange, imho. maybe i'll investigate further what exactly causes the reaper to crash.

i started with my clean os4.1upd2 partition. as written - no problem! no gr crash.
i then copied some drawers from my normal workbench partition over to the clean one and rebootet - well gr crashed!

recovering the clean partition i copied over drawer by drawer and tried it. the prefs drawer seems to be the culprit here.

ok - investigating the prefs drawer. it of course contains the env-archive drawer. copying over everything *except* the env-archive drawer - reboot - test - no gr crash!

so i believe that some env prefs is causing this.
i continued and found one possible problem:
contextmenu.prefs. at least i thought so.

using the "clean" one - no gr crash. using my one - crash.

but on my normal partition gr also crashed without any commodity running... and that is quite strange. so it cannot be contextmenu.prefs?!

i'm lost currently.

fact:
1. on a clean os4.1upd2 partition gr never crashed
2. on my partition it very well does - even if no startup-sequence and no wbstartup has been run.

that one is very strange!!

maybe i can investigate a little more tomorrow - or later. let's see. i like such "problems"

regards...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

Another idea, after reading the above strange symptoms:

If you have disk space to spare, try creating a new boot partition, same size, blocksize and filesystem etc., and copy everything over from your current one (the one that crashes). Then set the new partition to have the lowest boot priority; depending on your KickLayout and other references (e.g. in prefs files) you might need to also relabel the partitions so the new one gets the volume name the old one had.

This is intended to determine whether the problem is caused by some problem in the file system structure of your current boot volume. It's the only explanation I can think of right now which fits the facts you state.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@nbache

Quote:

nbache wrote:
@MichaelMerkel

well, the clean os4 partition already is a separate, bootable partition i always have this is place to check programs which cause problems and to see if this lies on my special installation or not.

regards...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

I would be nice to know which Kickstart modules you have disabled and enabled different between your working and non-working configurations ? I get also those endless yellow alerts even when running system without Startup-sequence. What prefs files might any Kickstart modules read. F.ex. IPrefs is run in S-S.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

Quote:
MichaelMerkel wrote:
@nbache

Quote:
nbache wrote:
@MichaelMerkel

well, the clean os4 partition already is a separate, bootable partition i always have this is place to check programs which cause problems and to see if this lies on my special installation or not.

regards...

Yes, but I'm talking about something else: Try creating an exact copy of your normal system disk, on a fresh piece of the disk, and use that to boot from instead of the original. If GR still crashes, you know it has to do with one of the files, if not, it must be a disk or filesystem error on your original partition -- in which case you could reformat it and copy back the contents (which might solve it if it's some sort of obscure filesystem error) or just use the new copy as your system partition in the future.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

TSK wrote:
@MichaelMerkel

I would be nice to know which Kickstart modules you have disabled and enabled different between your working and non-working configurations ?

they are identical

regards...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
That Grim Reaper and endless yellow alerts problem:
- If I boot from 4.1 Update1 CD then GR works as expected/correctly
- If I do soft reboot with Update1 Kickstart in memory but all the rest loaded from Update2 on hard drive then GR works as expected/correctly
- If I power off - power on and boot from Update2 on HD then endless yellow alerts with GR
- Then rebooting again from Update2 on HD, delete/rename ENVARC:sys/locale.prefs, delete/rename ENV:sys/locale.prefs, Expunge locale.library then GR works correctly (as expected) ! I'm using Finnish locale always.

Public 4.1 Update2:
- locale.library 53.3 (19.7.09)
- GrimReaper 53.2 (30.8.09)

Public 4.1 Update1 CD:
- locale.library 53.3 (19.7.09)
- GrimReaper 53.2 (30.8.09)

New Kickstart modules in 4.1 Update2:
- newlib.library 53.10 (3.3.10) (in Files_AmigaOne)
- dos 53.58 (21.4.10) (in Files_NoArch)
- elf.library 53.12 (3.4.10) (in Files_NoArch)
(Those are correctly installed on my SYS: .)

Older Kickstart modules in 4.1 Update1 CD:
- newlib.library 53.9 (13.1.10)
- dos 53.48 (21.12.09)
- elf.library 53.10 (13.12.09)

- Verified: If I put my locale.prefs back to envarc:sys and env:sys then I'll get endless yellow alerts again.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
That weird file names when backuping a HD partition:
I guess it's problem of automatic Workbench drawer updates because it looks like real file names are correct. If I select Update from Window menu of the Workbench after file copy process have finished then it displays file names correctly.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

Can you confirm what I found ?

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »