Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »
Re: NetSurf very unstable?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Alright. Found something else, probably not the rootcause but looks like missing TAG_DONE here?

http://git.netsurf-browser.org/netsur ... ontends/amiga/gui.c#n5553

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris Quote:
I think only my first timer message is being picked up by my GetMsg() loop, as I'm getting events stuck in the queue

Some possibly stupid thoughts, as my memory of timer stuff is rusty:

What do you mean by "events stuck in the queue"? TIMER events? Or other events which should be picked-up when the timer event happens?

Regarding "only my first timer message", as I recall, when you make a request to timer.device, this gives you a SINGLE event, rather than a repeating one. So if you are slow to handle the timer event (and thus slow to start the next timer request), then your 'repeating' timer will gradually fall behind real time.

Kas1e wrote an article demonstrating how to make a reliable repeating timer, by generating a soft interrupt: Your soft interrupt handler to picks-up the timer interrupt as soon as it happens & starts the next timer immediately. It also sends a signal to your main program (and potentially also incrementing a shared counter), telling it the timer event occured. Your program then handles the timer signal when multitasking allows.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
http://git.netsurf-browser.org/netsur ... ends/amiga/schedule.c#n95

Here, do you want to actually use nscb->tv, instead of tv? Result of AddTime() is placed in the first TimeVal.

EDIT: nope, looks like UNIT_VBLANK is used.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Capehill

Quote:
Alright. Found something else, probably not the rootcause but looks like missing TAG_DONE here?

Probably not related, but nice catch!

edit yeah, it's still missing events

Edited by Chris on 2016/8/10 23:45:34
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

I'm not setting a "repeating" timer, various things are queued up and acted upon when they come back in.
event A at T+2s
event B at T+30s
event C at T+1s
etc are all sent to the timer as individual requests.

When A and C end up coming in together I *think* only the first one is being picked up, although I can now see my getmsg loop picking up multiple messages so it's likely to be something more complicated.

All the timers are AbortIO()/WaitIO()d after they arrive at the message port or before the IORequests are re-used (mostly they don't get re-used, only when something is re-scheduled - and I don't think reusing them is the problem, as if I modify to completely delete and recreate the requests instead I get the same result).

Edited by Chris on 2016/8/11 0:19:19
Edited by Chris on 2016/8/11 0:31:18
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Exec IO requests are tricky. If you have have received back a request and GetMsg()ed it, do not do the CheckIO/AbortIO/WaitIO stuff, otherwise the WaitIO could Remove() the request a second time (it was already removed by GetMsg() call).

Set some req->timer_pending flag to TRUE when calling SendIO(), set it back to FALSE when GetMsg()ing, and do the CheckIO/AbortIO/WaitIO only if timer_pending is TRUE.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Georg

You're a genius, thank you! This appears to have been the issue and I'm no longer seeing things not getting signalled.

Build 3650 contains the fix and the debug logging
Build 3651 contains the fix without the debug logging

People having problems with Sourceforge, please try one of the above, and if it still isn't working, try 3650 and send me the log.

If nothing else this should eliminate the scheduler as the cause of the problem.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Georg
It's great when someone supplies a small detail solves solves a big problem that might have otherwise been impossible to solve. Thanks for helping.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris
I am happy to report that I am able to visit SourceForge with Build 3652, thanks

Also, NetSurf has been rock-solid since I stopped using Public Screens (and used it's Own Screen instead). So Public Screen usage is definitely badly bugged.

P.S. It would be helpful if Alt+Left/Right (inside a text-editing box) skipped words like it does with other Amiga programs. And if Ctrl+Left/Right highlighted characters. And if Shift+Left/Right skipped to start/end of the line. And if Home/End go to the start/end of line (rather than of the document).

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
Also, NetSurf has been rock-solid since I stopped using Public Screens (and used it's Own Screen instead). So Public Screen usage is definitely badly bugged.

Try 3653. You're the only person I know who uses the Screen Prefs screens. I think it is the auto open/close that is the problem. If so, it should be fixed now.

Quote:

P.S. It would be helpful if Alt+Left/Right (inside a text-editing box) skipped words like it does with other Amiga programs.

It does.

Quote:
And if Ctrl+Left/Right highlighted characters.

There is no keyboard highlighting tmk, that will need a feature request.

Quote:
And if Shift+Left/Right skipped to start/end of the line.

It does.

Quote:
And if Home/End go to the start/end of line (rather than of the document).

Admittedly this one is programmed differently from the standard, and that was intentional. Home/End going to the start/end of a document makes more sense and matches the pictures on my keyboard

I think if I change them it will stop the ability to get back to the top of a web page by pressing "home", which I'd rather keep, even if I always forget I can.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris Quote:

Quote:
P.S. It would be helpful if Alt+Left/Right (inside a text-editing box) skipped words like it does with other Amiga programs.

It does.

Quote:
And if Shift+Left/Right skipped to start/end of the line.

It does.

Well, it definitely does NOT do so for me, when I am writing/editing a post on www.amigans.net

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Hi, there is something strange going on when I use NetSurf 3.5 on Amigaworld.
The website does not accept my password and tells me it's incorrect..

This is only on my Sam440-flex, everything is updated as far as I can tell.

I compared NetSurf settings between the A1X1000 and Sam440, they are the same.
Any idea what might solve the issue?

AmigaOS4.1 FE latest update
NetSurf 3.5

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Weird, as I tested it as I replied.

@Amigo1

Can you get a log from both:
NetSurf -v *>ram:ns.log

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris
Quote:
Try 3653. You're the only person I know who uses the Screen Prefs screens. I think it is the auto open/close that is the problem. If so, it should be fixed now.

I use a "Screens Prefs" created public screen for all my Internet Apps. The screen opens when I start Odyssey and an old button bar program from OS4Depot called ScriptLauncher. Since I start Netsurf with ScriptLauncher on the already open public screen and never quit Netsurf last, I never noticed any screen related problem with Netsurf. However, I just tested closing Netsurf last with build 3650 and got a system freeze. I switched to build 3653 and there is no problem or freeze if I quit Netsurf last. Thanks for the fix for a problem I hadn't yet noticed

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris
I just logged on to Amigaworld with build 3653 and it accepted my password with no problem. Maybe some fix made after Netsurf 3.5 resolved that problem or there is some other issue involved. The only problem I've encountered when logging into Amigaworld is when I'm already logged in with a different browser.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris
Quote:

I'm testing as I write this post with Netsurf and Alt, Shift and Ctrl have no effect on left/right arrow keys. The cursor just moves left or right one position at a time no matter what. However, Home/End takes me to the top or bottom of the text; which I like.

I also just tried to Preview my post and when I move the pointer over the "Preview" button I see a message at the bottom of the browser that states: "Warning: Button can not be activated". I get the same message when I move the pointer over the "Cancel" button. It looks like my only choice is to "Submit" this message. Testing with build 3653.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic Quote:
I also just tried to Preview my post and when I move the pointer over the "Preview" button I see a message at the bottom of the browser that states: "Warning: Button can not be activated". I get the same message when I move the pointer over the "Cancel" button. It looks like my only choice is to "Submit" this message. Testing with build 3653

This happens when JavaScript is not available (the same thing happens if you disable JS in Odyssey).

Even if you enable JS in NetSurf, it's JS may not be good enough (yet).

Quote:
I just tested closing Netsurf last with build 3650 and got a system freeze. I switched to build 3653 and there is no problem or freeze if I quit Netsurf last.

Thanks for reproducing my problem :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris Quote:

Since it works for you, but not xenic or me, I suspect you have a different system setting to us... although what it is, I can't guess.

P.S. After I post a reply on Amigans.net, it takes me to the thread, but does not scroll to where my new post is. i.e. It doesn't seem to receive the #id part of the URL (does it strip it?).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
This happens when JavaScript is not available (the same thing happens if you disable JS in Odyssey).

Maybe so, but it seems strange that the "Submit" button works but the other 2. don't. At Amigaworld the Submit, Preview and Cancel buttons work but the small buttons above the edit area (like "quote") don't do anything at all.I can live with small glitches as long as the program doesn't freeze or crash.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Ah, OK, just re-tested and it only works with the right-hand shift/alt keys, not the ones on the left. Hmm. That should be easy to fix. I hadn't noticed because I always use the keys nearest the cursor keys.

edit Fixed.

Quote:
P.S. After I post a reply on Amigans.net, it takes me to the thread, but does not scroll to where my new post is. i.e. It doesn't seem to receive the #id part of the URL (does it strip it?).

No.. but... testing...
edit well, it took me to the blank page forum bug, however there isn't a #fragment in the URL.

This sort of thing used to work, it broke way way back. I flagged it up at the time and was told it wasn't likely to get fixed any time soon. There might be a bug report still open, I can't remember if I ever raised one.

edit2 I can't find my report, but this might be the same thing: http://bugs.netsurf-browser.org/mantis/view.php?id=2393 (there is actually a # in the URL though!)

edit3 There is a #fragment when I submit with Firefox, so something weird going on there.

Edited by Chris on 2016/8/12 20:33:42
Edited by Chris on 2016/8/12 20:34:37
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »