Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 129

Firetail, ktadd, mr2, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Re: Acube Amiga "A" Keyboard stickers!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Speaking of the AmigaOne keyboard, I just got mine in the mail. Nice keyboard.

Does anyone know which keyboard/brand it is based on? I'm assuming it is a "regular" PC keyboard with some modifications (special keys with boing balls, extra printing and the AmigaOne decal). I plan to get hold of one with a Danish keyboard layout so I can slaughter it and move the special Danish keys over to the AmigaOne keyboard. It looks a bit like some Logitech keyboards, but not completely like any model I've been able to find a picture of online.

(It's not so hard to live without the ??? keys, it's much worse that the parentheses, comma, and other punctuation are not on the keys where I expect them.)

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache

Hi,

I think, I'd comply with this "cherry guess"

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... wmode=flat&order=0#564022

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Entry-Level-K ... ics&qid=1279415461&sr=8-5

Note, that it might be the older "16000" model and not the "16001", see differnt return-key.

Wouldn't go for "Trust", as, as I see it, the carved line is missing (on top)...

For cherry, eg. also the centered brand would speak, maybe "AmigaOne" is just glued over it - which would explain the rather large size,too.
And they already did an amiga customized keyboard once, the cybo@rd.

BTW, if you are going to disassemble it anyway, maybe you can tell more, when seeing its guts.

CU,
Mario

Edited by padrino on 2010/7/18 2:49:02
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@padrino

Quote:
That does look like a pretty good guess.

Quote:
Note, that it might be the older "16000" model and not the "16001", see differnt return-key.

That might just be a matter of different national layouts; e.g. American keyboards usually have a quite different return key than the rest of the world.

Quote:
BTW, if you are going to disassemble it anyway, maybe you can tell more, when seeing its guts.

Heh - I am hoping not to have to disassemble it completely, though, but just pop off some keys and pop on the replacements. Anyway, it looks like it's going to be tough to find one in a Danish store, judging by my first quick searches. I may have to contact Cherry in Germany; they do specify on their web site the codes for Danish layouts (at least for another, similar one), but they'll probably not let me buy one directly.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@amigakit
Nice looking keyboards so I ordered a couple.

Nice to see the Amiga/Boing keys back where they should be as well...

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ssolie

Think default is alt next to space, so if you want bb next to space yoou need to write a mail.

@amigakit
Coould you make an option in the shop, just like with usb/ps2?

CU,
Mario

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@padrino
Quote:
Think default is alt next to space, so if you want bb next to space yoou need to write a mail.

According to the product picture everything is all it should be:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/c ... g/popup_image.php?pID=973

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ssolie

I know that pic, but my latest Info is based on

http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... t_id=53155#forumpost53155

Maybe amigakit can shed some light on this?

CU,
Mario

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thread

Look what someone (Piru?) did: http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/1586/keyboardanim.gif

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@KimmoK

Well, it is known "fact" that it is likely to be a "special" cherry-kb.
Which is no problem to me, as cherry is a rather large brand IMO. So why not?
Of course it's not an XXL RRR kb, but still it probably is of good quality.
It's really sad, that piru uses his talent to troll. It was much better spend when he still was on the "red" side.
Personally still see no sense in those "clone wars".

But back to topic. There are still (valid) questions for amigakit. :D

CU,
Mario

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@padrino
Quote:
Maybe amigakit can shed some light on this?

You can pick where the Amiga keys are when you order using the notes section of your order.

Since receiving my keyboards from AmigaKit I've been able to test a software fix so either way will work fine now.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
It looks like a Cherry alright... Which I'm pretty happy with, seeing as they are my keyboard brand of choice - to the point where the IT department in work poke fun at me ;) Every time I get a new PC I hand them back the cheap Dell keyboard and put my trusty Cherry back on the desk.

LOL, it really feels like the bottom of the pile when the IT department can make fun of you

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ssolie
Hope you share your code with the beta team for testing - in a not too distant future.

@Daedalus
So, likely the keyboard is Cherry, the mouse is Logitech. Well known and trusted brands.
I'd say there is nothing too wrong with that fact.

CU,
Mario

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@padrino
Quote:
So, likely the keyboard is Cherry, the mouse is Logitech. Well known and trusted brands.

I've chatted with the owner of AmigaKit in person at AmiWest and he is very focused on trust and customer service. That means not selling poor quality products because it would hurt his reputation and his bottom line. He's also coming to AmiWest 2010 so I can punish him in person if need be.

That is why I had no trouble trusting AmigaKit and I didn't need to know the underlying brand or anything. If I did need to know the OEM I think I would just email Trevor and ask since A-EON is the supplier.

The only real "problem" with the keyboard is that it is a British layout which is odd for those used to American layouts (like me) and the Amiga/Alt keys need a slight adjustment to the OS software.

I still prefer my ancient Fujitsu keyboard for the long codin' sessions but it makes nasty clicking noises and drives the wife batty.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:

The only real "problem" with the keyboard is that it is a British layout which is odd for those used to American layouts (like me) ...

Same here. I couldn't take having the backslash right over there, instead of immediately above the Enter key. I'm afraid I won't be able to use one of these new keyboards, although it looks great.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

Hi,

maybe there could be a financily attractive option for amigakit to sell the boing keys seperately, so people could try to get the cherry-version for their country - if still available.

Cu,
Mario

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ssolie

I was wondering how easy it might be to pop out the alt and boing keys to swap them. I got the version where they're in the wrong places...

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

anyone in the meantime got hold of the A-stickers?

I wonder ar they flat or are they "domed", like those Boingballs "we" know, ie. with plastic "dome" over the image?

Maybe someone has some real live close up pics?

CU,
Mario

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Valiant
Best to put in a ticket with AmigaKit and ask about popping the keys out. I imagine they just pop out with some prying like most keyboards but there could be a trick to it.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Val,

I have sent you a PMAIL.

@tonyw

The English layout is not very dis-similar to the US layout- only three keys are slightly different. We are working on a US version.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amigakit

What about norwegian layout?

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 »