Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: AmigaOne SCSI
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@agafaster

Ok, i've indeed had some sleep.

Sorry if I misinterpreded your words. English not being my native language, I thought you were saying "your support sucks".

Regards,
--
St?phane

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ferry

Thanks I'll try your tricks. I only want scsi for zip and scanner anyway. so i;'m not worried about booting from it. I'll report back in a few days.

renoir

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ferry

Well I tried your settings. The system boots fine with nothing atached to scsi port. But as soon as I atach something to the scsi port I end up with the black screen of death. Even a warm boot (amiga-amiga-cntrl) ends in black screen of death. So on my Radeon I guess there's no work around for scsi and since there's no drivers for the usb scanners on the market to-day I'll have to wait or get a diff graphics card. Is there a comparable graphics card on the market that is compatible with the scsi and os4? I've found that the voodoo cards I've tried have muddy, smeary colours, giving a blurred image on screen, and are slow by comparison.

renoir

I also tried boting into so4 and then attaching and turning on the scanner. Guess what? Workbench freezes and I have to shut down. Anything attached to the scsi cable causes my a1 to freeze or give black screen of death at bootup.

Edited by Renoir on 2007/6/26 20:19:24
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Renoir

Please attach a serial cable to your a1's port 1, and grab the output during bootlog (make sure to check the serial speed setting in uboot).

Show me that output, we'll fix it.

Regards,
--
St?phane

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sg2

I have only the one machine so i'll be trying to carch the serial out with sashimippc. Dom I need enforcer and mungwall from amine to make that work?

renoir

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sg2

Quote:

sg2 wrote:
@agafaster

Ok, i've indeed had some sleep.

Sorry if I misinterpreded your words. English not being my native language, I thought you were saying "your support sucks".

Regards,
--
St?phane

no worries !
besides, English is my native language, and I 'get the wrong end of the stick' all the time.
I work in IT support, so I know the excrement that can get dished out, and wouldnt dream of dishing it out meself, especially when the work was done off your own bat, and effectively for fun.

apologies if I'm being too idiomatic here btw!

Edited by agafaster on 2007/6/27 13:18:21
Avatar: Avro Vulcan - XH558 needs YOU !!
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

Is there a list of LSI cards that would work using the actual SCSI driver ?
I can have a DC-310/310U (chipset 53C810AE), is it supposed to work with the actual driver ? My girlfriend would be more than happy to be able to use the old scanner we have at home...
it would be really usefull to have intuitionbase updated and upgraded (the hardware db is rather difficult to search into, a software like interface would be more than welcomed (i.e. an alphabetical sorted list at least)

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Renoir

You don't need anything else, a lot of the mungwall functionality is built in to the kernel. That's why so many old programs crash these days.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sg2

Well I got me a null modem cable from computer boulevard and hooked it up to my aone and the other end to an amiga 2000 with a gvpser port. I installed term from Aminet on the A2000.
In the uboot menu I set the os4 bebug level to 1, saved and returned to uboot prompt where I entered "setenv stdout serial" then entered "saveenv". I rebooted and exited the menu to the command line and entered "printenv". Nothing showed up on the a1000's screen.
In term I have removed the modem init string, and set baudrate to 115200. made sure the device an dunit are set correct(device gvpser.device, unit 0). I had the cable hooked up to the correct ports on each compuiter as well. Did I miss something?
when I start term it says "no DSR signal detected retry/cancel." no amount of retrying gets anywhere.

renoir

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Renoir

Hi,

Here are my suggestions:

1- set the speed to 9,600 baud on both sides as a start

2- set the terminal program's preferences to 8 data bit, 1 stop bit, no parity

3- set the terminal program's preferences to no handshaking (not hardware nor software)

4- in terms of cable, a 3 wires one should be enough in that configuration:
GND -> GND
TX -> RX
RX -> TX

5- make sure you connect to the DB9 port which is the closest to the keyboard plug

That should work.

Regards,
--
St?phane

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@abalaban

Here's a list of working hardware.

- Iomega ZIP100 drive
- Epson GT7000 scanner with BetaScan 2 and 3 (ignore the DSI's in the Epson driver) ;
ScanQuix 3 and 5, including any program using ARexx hooks or other means to load
through it : ADPro, fxScan v2 ImageFX v4.5 ;
ImageFX v4.5 using its own driver
- IBM 4.3 GB UWSCSI harddrive holding FFS & SFS partitions from a Classic system
- Epson GT7000 scanner with BetaScan 3 (ignore the DSI's in the Epson driver)
- Wangtek DC6525 tape drive with Diavolo Backup (auto detection)
- Wangtek DC6120 tape drive with Diavolo Backup (auto detection)
- Wangtek DC6150 tape drive with Diavolo Backup (auto detection)
- Fujitsu H2249 330 MB ESDI harddrive and EMULEX ESDI to SCSI attachment
board from an old VAX
- IBM CDRM001 CD-Rom reader
- TEAC FC-1 SCSI floppy drive
- Apple SC-300 CD-Rom drive
- NeXT black external CD-Rom drive
- various other harddrives from a Silicon Graphics Personal Iris

@all

And do not forget to thank Soft3, the only one hardware supplier (not the list above)

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sg2

I'll give that a try. because I do wnat to get that serial debug info so my problem with the scsi driver can be diagnosed.

renoir

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood

Thank you for this list but I was instead looking for SCSI cards names/models that are reported to work. I can have one but I want to be sure it will be of any use.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Elwood

You can add to that list:

Seagate Barracuda 18.4GB U160SCSI 68pin 7.2K (ST318438LW) HD

Saluditos,

Ferr?n.

Amiga user since 1988
AOS4 Betatester
Member of ATO Spain
A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sg2

Hello,
I'm back again still no luck getting the a2000 to show the serial output from my a1. tried the no handshake and 9600 bps thing. No lyck. Took the cable back said it didn't work and got anotherr cabel same thing no serial output. One of these machines is not cooperating or I'm missing something very simple and stupid.
here's a recap:
I connect the a2000's gvpser port unit 0 to the Null modem cable.
I conect tho other end to the Aone serial port 0(nearest the keyboard plug)
I turn on a2000 set up termial with no handshakeing, no modem init string leave at 115200 bps
I turn on Aone enter menu set amigadebug level to 1.
exit and save to command line.
I set stdout to serial*
I save env
I enter reset. stop at menu
Exit to command line enter printenv (of course can't see it on Aone screen.
Nothing happens on A200o's term window.
I letting the Aone boot completely still nothiing on A2000
I did all the same steps only with setting the baudrate to 9600. With same results

Does any one see a missed step there that would cause trouble?

Renoir

* late edit typo

Edited by Renoir on 2007/8/16 19:21:06
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Renoir

you should direct output to serial :

setenv stdout serial

hope that helps some, I'm not actually sure, if this is correct anymore, but AFAIK it was before that way.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mlehto

Sorry about that I meant to type "setenv stdout serial" I had the it right when doing it just typed it wrong when posting here.
I'm starting to think about getting a different graphics card. Which ones are compatible with OS4 and the scsi driver. I like radeons because they're clearer and sharper than the voodoo cards I've tried.
Would be grateful if people posted here which cards they use that are working with the scsis driver.

renoir

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Renoir

Dunno know about compability with SCSI, but I'm content with my radeon 9250.

Radeon 7000 has very poor performance with 3d, so you should avoid it.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Ferry

Quote:

Ferry wrote:
@Renoir

I had the very same problem: if both my SCSI card and my Radeon9250 are connected, I got a black screen at boot. It seems they conflict, UBoot is not able to initialize SCSI card with that Radeon model (with other models it works, f.ex, Rad7000 or Rad8500). SG2 developed a "trick" to allow the coexistence of both cards at boot time, with the only drawback that you wont be able to boot from a SCSI HD, but on the other hand it allows you to use your SCSI devices from within OS4. The steps are:

1. Go to UBoot and define and save lsi53c8xx_override to your board's product ID (as you did for scsi_pci_override if you needed to, if you didn't it will surely be the default 000F). For example, my SCSI board product ID is 000C, so:

setenv lsi53c8xx_override 000C

2. Set UBoot envvar scsi_pci_override to FFFF:

setenv scsi_pci_override FFFF

3. Save changes:

saveenv

4. Boot into OS4:

boota

5. Good luck... :D

This method should work with final release of OS4.

Report back and tell us if it works for you.

Saluditos,

Ferr?n.

it is not scsi_pci_override FFFF but scsi_pci_override 000F. I just tried myself with a symbios logic NCR8100S SCSI card. After cold boot, the machine was stuck in Uboot waiting forever scanning drives (I only have a SCSI scanner, no HD).

you should mention the lsi53c8xx_timeout option as well because by default it is set to 20 seconds. I set mine to 0.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ferry

OK I set the scsi_pci_override to oooF.
When my zip drive is plugged in to the scsi cable the machine boots all the way and media toolbox sees and can work with the zip drive BUT no icon shows on the desktop even though system sayes the zip drive is mounted.
I have 2 scanners A umax 1200s and an umax 1220s
The 1200s has a broken motor and cann't scan, the 1220s work perfectly on my wife's A2000.
I plug in the Umax 1200s and the system boots. scanquik sees the scanner and tries to use it of course nothing happens since the motor doesn;t work. If I unplug the 1200s and plug in the 1220s the system dies not boot hangs at the black screen after loading kickstart.
I'm going to see if i can get the 1200s fixed and see if it still allows system to boot or locks it up.
wish i could get a serial dump using the a2000 but I just cann't seem to get data when I try.

renoir

Late edit:?was out viisiting a friend and he gave me a mustek 800sp paragon scanner. uses the old fashioned scsi cable, os I'll have toget an adapter to make it fit the scsi card before I try it out. I'll report on that in a couple of days. I have a garden to build this week.

Edited by Renoir on 2007/9/17 4:00:05
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »