Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

Skateman, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Screenmode won't adjust after changing to smaller screen size.
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@m1nuto

Quote:
Yes, I've tried to change the size immediately after the machine has booted, with no other applications open, and Workbench still gets stuck in a try to restart loop. Only native OS4.1 applications running and still no go.

Check your WBStartup prefs. One of the programs that is started on booting is blocking the screen resolution change.

You can use WBStartup prefs to disable the programs being started on boot, and then enable them again one at a time. If that fails, then it might be something started by the scripts in S: (most likely, S:User-Startup).

Quote:
I think it may have something to do with my obscure monitor size?? I don't see how that could make a difference, but my monitor is 1536x2048. Maybe if it happens again, I could try to arbitrarily taskkill applications with SysMon until I find the one that is preventing the Workbench restart.

The monitor size doesn't matter.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@m1nuto
Quote:

I could try to arbitrarily taskkill applications with SysMon until I find the one that is preventing the Workbench restart.

No do not do that, kiling tasks with a prgram like sysmon just leaves their resources locked and will cause the system to crash.

You may be able to release the lock on the workbench by quitting the offending prgram normally. (prehaps via Exhange if it's a commodity) but the best way is to do what Hans said and disable them all in Startup prefs and then reset the mode, then you can reenable one by one if you want to find exatly which one was the culprit.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@minuto

it's not possible to kill tasks with SysMon, there are only freezed.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@m1nuto
Quote:
It happens every time I change the resolution down from the resolution that I want to use, say to play Gorky or something, which is on a small resolution window, and I want to blow it up by using a smaller resolution on my monitor. If I switch down to say 800x600, when I want to go back up to 1536x2048 ARGB32 @ ~60Hz, I can use the Test tool, and the test screen displays perfectly on the monitor. Once I click the Save button, Workbench tried to restart, to no avail, and once I reboot the system, hello 800x600.

Maybe "Gorky or something" is not releasing it's lock on the screen when you quit it. Does the problem occur when you switch to a lower res screen and then switch back to your high-res screen without starting any programs?

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)