Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: New Programming Book for OS4
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The book will be produced by a carbon-neutral printing company.

Once the initial print run has been sold, there may be opportunities for e-media versions.

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@yoodoo2

Nice idea. I would be pleased to purchase one.

Could you also add a section to explain how to use gcc with other IDE program like Cubic IDE / GoldEd Studio or Codebench ? the fact is that I prefer to use tool bars/ menu instead of typing inline commands.

Nic

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Amigo1

Ebooks can be encrypted, but you would never be able to read them on an Amiga, given that there would be no clients capable of reading them.

This is not to mention the extra cost of producing an encrypted ebook (and the entire ethos of encrypted ebooks being wrong go here: www.mobileread.com if you want to discuss this more). Self published unencrypted ebooks can be provided/bought here:

www.smashwords.com

Mark

For custom designed applications, websites, ecommerce and secure hosting visit:

www.icestarmedia.com
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@yoodoo2

Keep us updated with your progress, this is a very important project and if you need help in some ways, we will help you in someway

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
How about a short section on ppc register and stack use in aos4? This would enable c-programmers to optimize small sections with asm .

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@alfkil

Are you offering to write it ?

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Id buy the book too if its easy to learn and well documented.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@yoodoo2

Even though I have never touched programming before, I would clearly buy such a book...if it's relatively easy to follow for a newbee.

Perhaps it could get more people programming...come on Helgis

Good luck with the project....use the force around you!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@yoodoo2

Quote:
Are you offering to write it ?

Hehe, I'm actually trying to research a bit into the subject at the moment. Since all userfriendly online resources on ppc assembly seems to point to Mac OS, it is definitely something that is missed. I might try and write a small tutorial kind of thing on the subject, and if it makes the deadline, you are of course free to use it .

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mark

Quote:

Mark wrote:
@Amigo1

Ebooks can be encrypted, but you would never be able to read them on an Amiga, given that there would be no clients capable of reading them.

This is not to mention the extra cost of producing an encrypted ebook (and the entire ethos of encrypted ebooks being wrong go here: www.mobileread.com if you want to discuss this more). Self published unencrypted ebooks can be provided/bought here:

www.smashwords.com

Mark

Are there extra costs encrypting a file?
I'm not specifically saying eBook as a format, but as a digital form of book, (sorry for not having been precise). Besides that, I don't see much "ethical" difference from an encrypted book (as a form to prevent from illegal copies) as to asking money for a book itself. At the end it's: You want this? Pay!
And I remember very well at uni times when students used to photocopy entire books to save some buck.

Of course it would be much better if much more people would have ethics and restrain from illegally copying media, but as it is not so, somehow the rights of the authors and or producing costs have to be protected. What's your opinion on this?

As far as I understand it, the Amiga (paper) book will cost money to cover the printing costs and as a small revenue/motivation for the authors.
If it's not this like, then the production/paper/printing costs could be cut, and as the authors were not supposed to get anything, it could be given away for free, without encryption.
For free as many textes in e.g. Linux land.
For free as the Mason icons (I made a donation twice btw)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigo1

Hehe, you've got a grip at the right end of the stick... now take a look at this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7065205277695921912#

No, of course you don't have to sit and watch 2 hours of psychological internet p***ography! 8-D But really, in the end, it all comes down to us all being trapped in the greed based profit system, and theoretically we should be able to use technology to free ourselves from menial labour, making room for everyone to contribute COST FREE to the spiritual heritage of humanity .

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I would probably buy this as well although I know nothing about programming at all!

But I would support it!

Also, it would be nice to have an official guide book for OS4.1 or OS4.2 There was a german book for OS4 at one point... or was it 3.9... hmm...

MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Amigo1

Quote:
As far as I understand it, the Amiga (paper) book will cost money to cover the printing costs and as a small revenue/motivation for the authors.

Spot on. This project is hardly going to make us millionaires

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@alfkil

Quote:

alfkil wrote:
@Amigo1

Hehe, you've got a grip at the right end of the stick... now take a look at this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7065205277695921912#

No, of course you don't have to sit and watch 2 hours of psychological internet p***ography! 8-D But really, in the end, it all comes down to us all being trapped in the greed based profit system, and theoretically we should be able to use technology to free ourselves from menial labour, making room for everyone to contribute COST FREE to the spiritual heritage of humanity .

Looks like we are on the same (ideological) wave.. cheers!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@yoodoo2

Quote:

yoodoo2 wrote:
@Amigo1

Quote:

Spot on. This project is hardly going to make us millionaires

Although I would wish it for you from a pure and sincere goodwill POV, I am aware it possibly will not, and it was not intended to be a malevolent pointing finger at you.
If you get a revenue on this, I myself have nothing against it, untill this all society is going to change, you do have to but bread on your table (unless you wont buy much more than you need and waste it).

edit: and as I already wrote, I am interested in the book and will buy it. Of course I would not have anything against, if I send you the money for a e.g. password protected PDF (not editable, not printable and whatever) with my name on it, in such a way if a copy comes up somewere, you know it was me distributing it illegally (which I would not do). :--)

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)