Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: new amigaos hw?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@logicalheart

Agreed 100%. I wouldn't want to waste their time, for another vapourware project. People seem to misunderstand the priorities here. The motherboard has to exist even as a design/prototype, before OS support is discussed.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello feanor,

I also haven't sent an e-mail.

There are several problems.

1) Who are you targeting?

Well, that's obvious

AmigaOS 4.x
MOS
Linux
maybe Haiku?

Well, that doesn't wash, because Hyperion's goal is, every system that is sold comes with an AOS4.x disc.

You may say "take what you can get". Sure, and if every person orders your motherboard with no OS?? Too many headaches.

2) If you make an Amiga motherboard, ACube is almost guaranteed to go out of business. There's no two ways about it, it's like 95% likely.

Is that fair? Is that right? Sure, all's fair in business (that's legal) to get ahead of "the other guy", but morally it's not so good, NOR wise. If morals are not significant cinsider this. Putting an already struggling company out of business instead of harnessing their reputation in the community, technical skill, them having designed several PPC motherboards already, and their comfortable connection with Hyperion too, I don't think is wise. Also, they risked PLENTY, and seem to be willing to (and have) put up with an insane amount of hardship (as well as Hyperion), so you should consider that, when the going gets tough, they WILL try and stick with it, see it through.

I have used windows xp, and it is wretched. I recently re-installed windows xp, and now, sound doesn't work (it works mostly with the internet browsers, but NOT with windos media player and Real Player), I don't know why. I couldn't get windows media player or Real Player to play videos, it was showing a green rectangle over the whole screen. Why? Because the video card is TOO FAST!!!!! And, it was NOT EASY finding that out!!!!!

Also, for some strange reason, when I press alt-enter OR use the menu option, windos media player WILL NOT show a video full screen!!!!! It goes full screen for a second, and then it immediately reverts back to the desktop!!!!

This is NOT an OS and is FAR FAR away from being able to be called one!

It needs 10 gigabytes of hard drive space. It is futile to continue working with this monstrosity. So what if you get 8 CPU cores running at 7 GHz and 16 gigabytes of ram, it will STILL swap file out your 5829 byte notepad file! And it will need a swap file of 24 Gigabytes, and if you go to sleep mode, it'll use the rest of your hard drive! (Really.)

I've been using my AmigaOne 800 MHz G4 for pretty much 4 years now, and all I want is MORE power!

AmigaOS has a future.

It's the best OS on the planet, except for lack of applications, and a bit more fine tuning. The OS's core, I would say is 97% there, and all it needs are enhancements, like SMP and USB, printer and various other drivers.

Why don't you take a ride on the wild side? Invest in ACube..... it REALLY could pay off, and I'm talking 100's of millions!

Once a person get's bitten by Amiga, they NEVER forget, but people won't come back if the price is too high!

There are many here and at Amiga.Org and AmigaWorld.Net that WOULD buy an Amiga, if that just one more application, or price drop, or so-and-so also get's one, you would REALLY be surprised by how many fence sitters there are.

There are also people that don't even have a membership on any messageboards that could be convinced by people on some of them to get one.

I know that I could get 4 people to buy an Amiga (none of them on these boards, 3 have never even owned a computer!!!) if it was a Netbook at $450 US!!!!! I would buy TWO! (I know you could never get to that price point, I'm showing that on my recommendation, there ARE cutomers out there. I am certain many others on these boards can say the same. That's SIX sales right there! And, I'm certain that if I showed 2 more that I know, they'd get one too. Remember, I'm talking netbook Amiga.)

AOS4.x is now released from the shackles of Amiga Inc. and it will SOAR, with or without your help, you have much to lose ignoring it.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

1) Who are you targeting?

Well, that's obvious

AmigaOS 4.x
MOS
Linux
maybe Haiku?

Rather, in that order:
Linux, AmigaOS, Haiku and then MorphOS (they are not a priority anymore now that Mac Mini has a port, and actually only yesterday I've been told one of the core MorphOS devs has publicly said that "they're not interested in a port to the new board" -whatever it will be).

Quote:

Well, that doesn't wash, because Hyperion's goal is, every system that is sold comes with an AOS4.x disc.

That's not the case with Pegasos II which was recently supported by AOS4.

Quote:

You may say "take what you can get". Sure, and if every person orders your motherboard with no OS?? Too many headaches.

That's an interesting question. But base package will obviously ship with only the free OSes, no need to charge everyone with a commercial OS.

Quote:

2) If you make an Amiga motherboard, ACube is almost guaranteed to go out of business. There's no two ways about it, it's like 95% likely.

I don't understand why is that. The goal now is to build an open platform, which means, ACube -eventually- will be able to use the same board as well. Why should that put them out of business?

Quote:

Is that fair? Is that right? Sure, all's fair in business (that's legal) to get ahead of "the other guy", but morally it's not so good, NOR wise. If morals are not significant cinsider this. Putting an already struggling company out of business instead of harnessing their reputation in the community, technical skill, them having designed several PPC motherboards already, and their comfortable connection with Hyperion too, I don't think is wise. Also, they risked PLENTY, and seem to be willing to (and have) put up with an insane amount of hardship (as well as Hyperion), so you should consider that, when the going gets tough, they WILL try and stick with it, see it through.

As I said, I don't believe it will put anyone out of business.

Quote:

<comments about windows xp>

I agree completely, that's one of the reasons, I want something *different*.

Quote:

Why don't you take a ride on the wild side? Invest in ACube..... it REALLY could pay off, and I'm talking 100's of millions!

I will not invest in an AMIGA-only company, that's too limiting IMHO, if anything I have been clear from the start, that I am not even an Amiga user anymore, I am a PowerPC user/developer/advocate. I like PowerPC and I want such a system, chances are I will not even use AmigaOS even after the board is available. But I WILL make everything I can to help support AmigaOS and others (MorphOS/Haiku, etc) just because I think they are important to stick around - I admit that when I started this effort as a business venture, I wanted the market share, but now it's slightly different, with an open hardware, it's not really a market share, it's a userbase. I want PowerPC to stick around and succeed, I DON'T want to buy an ATOM or whatever system.

Quote:

I know that I could get 4 people to buy an Amiga (none of them on these boards, 3 have never even owned a computer!!!) if it was a Netbook at $450 US!!!!! I would buy TWO! (I know you could never get to that price point, I'm showing that on my recommendation, there ARE cutomers out there. I am certain many others on these boards can say the same. That's SIX sales right there! And, I'm certain that if I showed 2 more that I know, they'd get one too. Remember, I'm talking netbook Amiga.)

I also like a netbook based PowerPC, yeah, even a netbook Amiga would be super cool, but that won't happen if there is no new PowerPC motherboard. A netbook would be just easily built with a slightly redesigned mobo and a typical PC netbook case -I actually did some inquiries to some companies, but no good news yet.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@feanor

Hi feanor,

You already have my email. If you want 10 more I'll be glad to supply.
Heck, I vote at least 3 times in every election.

I just want to restate here, you build a kick-ass motherboard for the
desktop that is at least somewhat open for a FAIR price and I will buy
at least one. I f it's really super I'll probably have two within 1 year.

Netbooks, notebooks, cookbooks, whatever, can follow, but without
a truly serious desktop...........well, what good are the toys.

Can you imagine trying to develop anything ON a netbook ?

And, like you said, there are no ppc desktop boards in the market
place now.

Keep pushing pal, and more than a few of us will keep pulling.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)