Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 60

VooDoo, BSzili, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »
Re: Post-Update 6 updates
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks for the fast reply. You are right... Yesterday just started the Demo of DirMeUp from the Ram Disk for some minutes and never thought that it makes an entry in notification server.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

Rigo wrote:
I really don't understand why we need a running commentary of ever public update, including quoting the release notes. They are there for every registered OS4 user, so what is the point?

(It's a rhetorical question, it doesn't need an answer, really!).

I do love answering rhetorical questions.

I think most AmigaOS users are not used to regular updates. It will take them some time to adjust to "the new way" and this thread is one of those adjustments.

For example, some users are just now figuring out what the Roolback tool is for. Others are being sheepish and not installing the intuition.library update at all. A few are stomping up and down and freaking out. It is interesting to see all the reactions.

Like I said, it will take time for everyone to adjust to this new way of delivering software.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Well I miss knowing what has been done before installing, instealing something blindly makes me nervous.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

ssolie wrote:

For example, some users are just now figuring out what the Roolback tool is for. Others are being sheepish and not installing the intuition.library update at all. A few are stomping up and down and freaking out. It is interesting to see all the reactions.

Like I said, it will take time for everyone to adjust to this new way of delivering software.

Its even more interesting to see all the reactions from the other side. They tell a lot about mind conditions.

I, for one, will never adjust to "this" new way of delivering software. You will read from me every time you deliver a faulty update/an update that breaks other system parts until you adjust your way of delivering system software

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I like the new system. All updates are installed as they come in. If something breaks I can either wait until it's fixed, or roll back to the old version. If it is severe enough like when AmiUpdate was crashing, I can just remove it and install an older version.

Also, before you install the update, you can click on it and select "Info" which will tell you what has changed or what's been fixed.

It's awesome that we have something like this now, it's been a long time coming. Now we just need a package manager/store, perhaps an OS4 depot stand alone application?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
A update with click2front has arrived, thanks for the fast fix! It works now.

But since around January 7th, the Rollback does not work, also now after the new Update nothing in the list. Can someone else look if new updates makes an entry? We are two people with Sam460 having this problem, standard install path, nothing done (cleared the list before this update to see if the new entry comes, but nothing)

My wish for the future: An unpublish (from server) function if some first updater have problems, so that other user have no need to discuss ;)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Same problem than you on my x1000,
No rollback.

The 20th of january :
rollback list empty and the newest directory in the rollback drawer was 6th january

I had reinstalled amiupdate from codebench website and all rollback was reappared.

But since... rollback list is blocked at the 20th january

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I hava now reinstalled AmiUpdate (www.amiupdate.net) and wait for the next update ;) A friend did a reinstall before the last updates and after this the rollback works again.

Perhaps somebody who has this problem has not updated the latest click2front and could test it.

Best regards,
imagodespira

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

My wish for the future: An unpublish (from server) function if some first updater have problems, so that other user have no need to discuss ;)

You've been brainwashed by Apple, M$ and co. Automatic updates is one thing, remotely removing software is another entirely! That's so not a good idea.

As to the rollback issues it seems to be working perfectly for me in both my latest beta and update6 installs.

You may want to check you have it set up correctly. ie is it enabled in updates prefs? Is the directory specified there valid and writabele?

If it is I would suggest installing amiupdate from the amiupdate website. This seems to solves some issues that acaused by a version dependency catch22 situation that occured.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm not being offered an update to click2front, and if I install the new intuition.library it stops working. I had to roll back to the old one.

Did you get the click2front update through AmiUpdate?

Really, I'm not liking switching the updates to AmiUpdate. It seems like things don't get tested as well as they did when a bunch of patches were rolled out in an Update.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have now installed the Version from amiupdate.net.

I never did changes in AmiUpdate, it uses the Standard Settings, Standard path.. last months it runs well, also with rollback, but around the 7th of january there is the last entry. A friend have the same Problem (i only know him from the web, so we did not see our Computers in real ;) ).
He installed the Version from AmiUpdate.net and the latest Updates where here again in the rollback, so no big Problem if i know it now that it is the right Version from amiupdate.net (or it fixed my Installation... but somebody must broken it.. and i did nothing, just updated).

Now i have all things working, the latest click2front works well now, and i hope the next update will be available in rollback. All fine if it works (but it would be nice if i can Count on the rollback next time) ;)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

I'm not being offered an update to click2front, and if I install the new intuition.library it stops working. I had to roll back to the old one.

If you roll back intution then you wont be offered the update to click2front clcik2front depends on intuition, so the new one will break on the old intuition and the old will break on the new.

Update intuition again.

Then rerun the scan and you should see click2front

[edit]
If one component requires another it wont be shown till that other is present
[/edit]

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ssolie

I am happy that people are discussing the updates here, and elsewhere. For normal users like me, this is a new way to update our system. I was very cautious at first.

I have been using the new update system (AmiUpdate) since December 25 and I think it works quite well. However, I used rollback for the very first time a few days ago when I rolled back to the previous version of intuition.library after ClickToFront quit working.

---
redfox

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Thanks for the tip about the new verion of ClickToFront. I will check further.

redfox

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I also have problems with Rollback, the last entry was from 5 january,
and it was Rollback itself, so I rollbacked Rollback and I loose
all the rollback entries, all the rollback drawers entries are gone
(edit: fortunately old files are there, my fault, only Rollback can't see them)
I reupdated Rollback but nothing seems to happen.
AmiUpdate preferences are correctly set.
A1-XE G4 here

Edited by pvanni on 2013/2/16 17:31:33
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Just run Rollback to check what is available, and surprisingly there is nothing at all!

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
A Rollback feature not working properly could render a system unusable...

@ssolie:

Pls, dont just give ironic comments, change the situation at least for such features instead. Betatesting must be more robust regarding vital features. Theres no room for sloppiness like it was for ClickToFront.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
If you have rollback issues please check the versions of the amiupdate toolchain:

6.AmigaOS4:> version full file Update6:System/AmiUpdate/CopyStore
CopyStore 2.6 (25/04/2011)
Part of the AmiUpdate suite
6.AmigaOS4:> version full file Update6:System/AmiUpdate/System_Rollback
System_RollBack 2.2 (24/12/2012)
6.AmigaOS4:> version full file Update6:System/AmiUpdate/AmiUpdate
AmiUpdate 2.32 (08/01/2013)
6.AmigaOS4:> version full file Update6:Libs/update.library
update.library 53.11 (08/01/2013)

There is no issue on my latest beta system or my update6 system.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yeah! A reinstall solved my RollBack problem too. All previous installs are listed there, so nothing missed, just not listed before.

Thanks for the tip!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
One thing I dislike in AmiUpdate and that is the first position in the Workbench menu.
For several years that menu was untouched. Amiupdate is not a tool that is normally should be used daily. I think it would be a better place for it somewhere around Workbench/About.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »