Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 94

Georg, sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)
Re: Timberwolf!!!!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@walkero

Why is such a small amount of ram free? Do you have anything else running? Or is that your free video RAM on the title bar?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
Does Timberwolf store any files in EnvArc: ? That would be one explanation.

No, everything is stored in CurrentUser:

Maybe your fontconfig config file changed? It seems it would be a generally good idea to write our own font backend for Cairo. There seem to be too many different versions of fontconfig floating around with various projects.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
So, is there any suggestion on what i should look into if i want to test TW on my A1? According to the DSI error it gives me, can we jump to any conclusion/suggestion?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@portarinos

You get a DSI error if you do not run font config thingy.

use SFS, not FFS, not anything else!

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Actually i am using SFS as i wrote before. I don't think this is the problem in my case. I have also done all the stuff related to font config. Whatever.....

NOS A1200, V1200
SAM460ex, AOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ portarinos

Just from the software error requester, it is impossible to say anything at all, especially if all the text is in Greek.

Can you provide me with the crash log, i.e. the one you can save with Grim Reaper ? Please send it to my email address thomas at friedenhq.org

Thanks.

@ vulture

The low memory figure is easily explained: TW needs about 200 MB to run. That means it will barely fit into a 1200 with 256MB and not at all in 128MB machines. That's most likely the cause for the slow startup too, it's likely swapping like crazy.

@ xenic

Yeah, I can now verify that, even without any activity on the web page, there's nearly 100 % of activity. I'll need to check that.

The 2MB of stack per thread is right now a "better safe than sorry". Since we can not easily implement stacks that enlarge themselves, we're a bit stuck with a high safety margin.

You are right, there's plenty of stuff that can be done. That's why it's labelled a beta version. As has been said several times, speed is not what we aimed at in this version.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tfrieden
Quote:
Yeah, I can now verify that, even without any activity on the web page, there's nearly 100 % of activity. I'll need to check that.

I'm no expert, but observing activity with Snoopy during those high CPU loads looks like database activity with hundreds of small "seeks" through various files. I've also noticed that disk activity in Dopus4 gets stalled (delayed directory rescans or directory changes) periodically while TW is running.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

xenic wrote:
I'm no expert, but observing activity with Snoopy during those high CPU loads looks like database activity with hundreds of small "seeks" through various files. I've also noticed that disk activity in Dopus4 gets stalled (delayed directory rescans or directory changes) periodically while TW is running.

If you open the CurrentUser profile in WB, you can see that it is quite "chatty" with the files.

It doesn't go slow here in the way you are experiencing, however I am on JXFS which apparently does not support record locking (hopefully this will be added in an update), so the databases don't work properly anyway, and I guess this means it isn't putting as much strain on disk I/O.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

tfrieden wrote:

Running TW and CPUwatcher.

After some time of inactivity CPU load will drop to 3-4% .

As long as TW window is active, slight mouse movements or hitting a single key will send CPU load to 100% for a long time.
Even if the mouse movement is off of the TW window.

TW window NOT active, CPU load is normal.

Bookmarks work just fine for me. Maybe the two are related???

A1-X1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tfrieden
i appreciate your interest. I will mail you the crash log ASAP.

NOS A1200, V1200
SAM460ex, AOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

mechanic wrote:
Running TW and CPUwatcher.

I played around more with TW today.

Lower screen modes seem to help with CPU load not staying at 100%
for such a long time, but changing the mouse input mode to it's
lowest level makes the most difference.

High speed (sensativity) + accelerated mouse are the worst for
CPU load with the TW window active.

Another obsevation is with a 640x480 16bit screen and mouse set
to minimum + no acceleration;
If I hit a key (d in this case) while the pointer is on a active
TW window the CPU goes to 100%
Putting the pointer off TW onto workbench hitting 'd' the CPU load
will not go as high and return low quicker.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

walkero wrote:
For the fun of it I tried Timberwolf on my A1200PPC. It needs 3m 56sec to start and show the window (first start), 1m 3sec until it finish the load of the first two tabs and 2m 21sec to load amigans.net. Considering that it has a 10mbps lan card attached on PCMCIA, this is not so tragic for a computer with 175Mhz CPU, PIO-4 on hard disk, slow bus and memories. I wonder how a PC would get with such specifications.

Thats impressive for a blizzard ppc. I will give it a go on my card 344Mhz which has one of the highest ever recorded ram bandwidth (256Mb) on a classic amiga. Faster than a cyberstorm even with its 64bit.

Edited by delshay on 2012/3/10 8:05:52
Edited by delshay on 2012/3/10 8:58:22
Edited by delshay on 2012/3/10 9:03:22
Edited by delshay on 2012/3/10 9:41:01
Edited by delshay on 2012/3/10 9:43:37
Edited by delshay on 2012/3/10 10:46:30
Edited by delshay on 2012/3/11 5:27:00
Edited by delshay on 2012/3/11 5:28:07
Edited by delshay on 2012/3/11 5:29:01
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I wrote:
Quote:
Possibly related, trying to regenerate the font cache using "fc-cache -r -f", I get lots of requesters asking me to insert strange volume names like "._Fonts:", "%Fonts:", ".AppleDouble/Fonts:", "resource.frk/Fonts:", ".resource/Fonts:" (without quotes) often repeating.

It also prints "Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file".

I discovered that all of those wierd font 'assignments' (ot at least the bits before "/Fonts:") can be found in "SOBJS:libfreetype.so". I therefore think it must be a bug in libfreetype.so, which is somehow triggered by something on my system.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
I discovered that all of those wierd font 'assignments' (ot at least the bits before "/Fonts:") can be found in "SOBJS:libfreetype.so". I therefore think it must be a bug in libfreetype.so, which is somehow triggered by something on my system.

Maybe your "SOBJS:libfreetype.so" file was accidently replaced. The filesize on my system is 656552. The date on the file is 07-Apr-10 but that could have been changed during a system backup recovery. I looked for some kind of version number in a Hex reader but didn't find one. I did notice that it was compiled with both GCC 4.0.4 and GCC 4.2.4 which is unusual because other SOBJs only have one version of GCC listed in the binary.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic
No! I obviously checked that libfreetype.so was the correct file.

HOWEVER, I have finally found the cause of my problems (so Timberwolf is working again!). The following files/folders were missing:

Fonts:fontconfig/conf.d/#?
Fonts:fontconfig/fonts.conf
Fonts:fontconfig/fonts.dtd

I guess that libfreetype.so gets confused when those are missing.

EDIT: Removed bogus "fontconfig_cache/" from paths. Thanks to mechanic for pointing it out!

Edited by ChrisH on 2012/3/12 17:03:32
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have those files/folders, but they are in
FONTS:fontconfig (period!)

A1-X1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Finally had a proper play with Timberwolf.

I was able to import all my bookmarks from Firefox. Moving bookmarks (into the correct Toolbar & Unsorted folders) was a bit tricky as Cut & Paste don't work (neither keyboard nor menu), but the Move menu item did work, as does the Select All item.

Password management seems to work (touch wood), which I find essential!

Seems surprisingly fast on my X1000 (even faster than both OWBs in some ways, e.g. scrolling), although there is of course still work to do.

Add-ons don't install, but I recall someone posted a work-around (need to find). Toolbar is not customisable, as drag'n'drop not yet working.

Actually seems quite stable now that I've fixed my Font problems. And the fonts themselves look fine.

Is rather cool that so much stuff already works

Posted from Timberwolf (of course!)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@chrisH

Tw is working quite good for browsing. My main issue is watching youtube, as it's too slow and usually locks the browser up at some point during the playback. When these issues will be fixed i'll be very happy.

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
I was able to import all my bookmarks from Firefox.

Are you able to import bookmarks from any Amiga browsers like OWB? I don't have a PC so I can't try importing Firefox bookmarks and importing from OWB etc. still doesn't work. Does the import work on your SAM or only on your X1000?

I think I've found a potential pitfall in TImberwolf that might cause some people some problems. The TW docs state that you just need to move the TW drawer to your desired location after unpacking it. After you have run TW, moving the TW drawer to a different location may not be possible. Some of my problems may have resulted from testing TW once in ram: and then moving it to my hard disk. I discovered that some of the files in CURRENTUSER: contain "absolute" paths that are not relative to the CURRENTUSER: assignment. The drawer "CurrentUserProfile/.mozilla/firefox/Profiles/yvl0gsf5.default/" contains the the following files with absolute paths in them:

search.json
prefs.js
extensions.sqlite
extensions.ini
compatibility.ini
startupCache/startupCache.4.big

It looks to me like you may have to remove the CurrentUserProfile drawer if you decide to move TW to another location on your hard disk. It seems sort of useless to have a CURRENTUSER: assignment if the files contain absolute paths.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)