Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »
Re: OS4.1 Update 1 problems & solutions
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@RacerX

That is a feature of "ContextMenu"

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have installed the 4.1U1 on a formated partition with SFS/00. Everything went smooth on initial setup. After a week of using the system, I yesterday got for the first time a Network log out report when booting into wb "Could not open ppc440ep_eth.device unit 0 (Device/unit failed to open)". And of course cannot connect to the internet anymore.

My connection is established through a router and when I set up the connection everything was done properly (since the configuration was set up by the system automated). Now if choose "New Connection" I get the error: Cannot detect automatic. Please choose them manually (or something similar).

I was getting from time to time the same error with 4.1. beta too, but after a reboot or two and plugging, re-plugging the cables the internet connection was reestablished. Now it doesn't.

Btw, U1 feels faster but I am still getting weird crashes e.g listing to tune net, and playing with the right mouse button on wb (hitting it fast and repeatedly) my keyboard and mouse drop out while wb still operates and the usb stick which I have previously connected still works!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
edit: double post

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@RacerX

Quote:
Is this a feature or a bug?

There is a fine line between features and bugs
Resized Image

Anyway, I noticed another thing. I tried selecting several files in a directory and dragging them over to another window. Workbench then copied the whole folder the files were in, in stead of the files i selected.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Another strange behaviour - maybe this was reported before...

I have a bug in the new ASL requester feature for "multi assigns":

1. fresh boot - compositing has to be enabled.
2. open Workbench menu "Execute command".
3. in the new window use the button to open the ASL file requester.
3. hit "Volumes" to see the list of your volumes and assigns in the ASL file requester.
4. double click a "multi assign" (here f.ex. "LIBS").
5. a popup window with the list of the corresponding (multi) assign appears.
6. Do NOT click at one of the possible assign entries, but try to move/resize/whatever THIS popup window -> instant freeze of the system!

I can reproduce this bug even with a fresh booted OS4.1 Update 1 CD!!!

If I turn compositing on Workbench OFF it works as expected with no problems (from my HD as well as on the "live booted" Update 1 CD).

My system is a sam440ep. Can someone else reproduce this bug?

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cha05e90

I can confirm.

@thread

I have an app for testing window transparency. If I set transparency of a window below 17 (from 0-255) then I can't access that window ever again. I can't click buttons, move it or anything else.

I'm running OWB on its own screen. Sometimes I can see CPUClock docky to flash on OWB's screen short while (CPUClock is running on AmiDock on WB screen).

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@RuDeE
Quote:
Anyway, I noticed another thing. I tried selecting several files in a directory and dragging them over to another window. Workbench then copied the whole folder the files were in, in stead of the files i selected.

I think that's the user headspace bug It's happened to me on every version of AmigaOS. If you double-click on a folder and immediately press the shift key to start selecting multiple files in the window that opened, the folder icon is still selected and gets copied too. You have to click the first icon in the folder before pressing the shift key to select other icons. Try it yourself and you will see what happened.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cha05e90
Quote:
My system is a sam440ep. Can someone else reproduce this bug?

Yes. It's even worse than you describe on my SAM Flex. After the multiassign window opens, my system will freeze if I click on another window. I haven't tested but it might freeze if I click anywhere. It seems to me that the devs sould be able to look at a system bug like this and figure out how to intercept these errors and prevent system freezes. I would call this one a bug for sure.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

I think that's the user headspace bug It's happened to me on every version of AmigaOS. If you double-click on a folder and immediately press the shift key to start selecting multiple files in the window that opened, the folder icon is still selected and gets copied too. You have to click the first icon in the folder before pressing the shift key to select other icons. Try it yourself and you will see what happened.

There is another similar bug in at least 2.1 3.0 3.1 3.5 3.9

When I started or used a program that opened a screen a window or something similar, and kept pressing the screen change button (the right uppermost one) really fast, everything on screen would freeze.

I think it's a severe bug. If two gui actions happen at the same time, system freezes. Like a new window pops up or a screen opens at the same time you click to change screens.

It doesn't always happen. But when it does, you know why it happened.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
perl from latest sdk gurus if threads.library is not installed. this lib is not installed in 4.1 update 1.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

Do you have any new information on the "env var title bar display limitation"?

Thank you very much

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @DaveAE

This is a recurring subject it seems.
Yes it is. When I installed OS4.1 last year, Mixer was the first program not used. I setup AHI only and all the Amiga players work fine without a mixer; even in Updat1. AHI is setup first, then TN configuration, NOT in reverse order.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@RuDeE

LOL!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
When I installed WordWoth5 it works great but when installed WordWorth7 and try to run it an error occurs.
Someone knows if it works with OS4.1.1?
What?s the best editor for OS4?

Edited by AlfaR0me0 on 2010/1/29 10:26:50
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@AlfaR0me0

yes, wordworth last version work fine also on AOS4.1.1.

you must copy the wordworth assign (located on your AOS4.1 old user-startup) to the new one reinstalled with AOS4.1.1 (in case you use format + install AOS4.1.1).

Can't give you the assign myself (I'm at job).

Next update of AOS4 must use the user-startup the user allready have and use well !!!!

AT HOME: the assign (cut'n'paste on your U-S)

;----------------------------------------------
;BEGIN wordworth7
Assign Libs: YOUR:HD/LOCATION/Wordworth7/Libs add
;END wordworth7
;----------------------------------------------

also, on your SYS:...../env-archive, a draver:

Wordworth

inside a txt file called: Wwfonts

inside the file, just the location of the WW fonts. example:

YOUR:HD-LOCATION/Wordworth7/WwFonts

Edited by Mrodfr on 2010/1/29 17:55:36
Edited by Mrodfr on 2010/1/29 17:59:17
A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AlfaR0me0
I have WordWorth7 installed but I could never get it to find the fonts. I use FilalWriter5 and it's working OK.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

Huh? It works the same as on a OS3.x setup: You need a valid WWFonts env variable and can use the "InstallFonts" from the Wordworth/Tools drawer to make WW aware of the fonts...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I had a big problem installing the update, but I managed to find it out on my own. In case somebody else has this problem I offer a solution. Maybe not the best one, but it worked for me.

PROBLEM:
Booting from the update 1 install disk halted after OS 4.1 spash screen in a black screen forever.

SOLUTION:
Boot from the original OS4.1 installation disk to free access to system files so they would not be in use. Deleted all system files and then inserted the update 1 disk. Copyed all systems files from update 1 disk to System disk. Rebooted from the update 1 disk. Installation no longer halted and I could continue installing this wonderfull OS.

CAUSE:
Unknown, maybe Kernel files.

LESSON LEARNED:
There is some differences in the OS makeup causing trouble to a specific setup

OS4.1 Sam Flex 733MHz
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Geoshaper

Yep, good solution. I thought about this in theory as a "backup strategy" if something with the normal boot/re-boot wouldn't work. BTW I did the setup in more or less two steps, first bootup with Update CD into the OS4.1 "Live Workbench", quick formatted the "old" OS4.1 system disk and rebooted AGAIN into the Update CD - and eventually installed the update onto the now empty system partition. Lucky me, everything came out nice...

EDIT: All "boots" and "re-boots" were COLD boots actually...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

Thanks for your explanation.
I haven?t a Libs directory inside WW, but do exist some libs in WW/Files.
So I have assigned Libs: to WordWorth/WWFiles but the Grim Reaper appears again :(
Anyway I tried to run WordWorth with snopy opened to see what happens and next error occur many times:
Fail ENVARC: ELF.LazyBidding
Don?t know what that means.. what is ELF.Lazybbiding??

SAM440EP 667Mhz A1200/060 Mediator
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »