Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Wordworth and Blizzard 1200/4

See User information
OK I don't normally post the same thread on another site, I believe that each site is worthy of its own content. But this problem is bugging me so much I want everyone to help. Here goes:

OK we are going to solve this! Ready?

Let me start by saying my Blizzard 1200/4 is the most stable, reliable upgrade I have ever had since using Amiga. It simply does not crash, freeze or any such antics.

For those not familiar with the board it is a surface mount 4MB board, real time clock and has an FPU socket, which my board is occupied with a 33MHz 68882 with corresponding crystal.

Right, I had a problem where I THOUGHT that Wordworth V5 was corrupt or something see here:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... p?topic_id=23147&forum=27

OK I thought WW4 was a workaround (assuming it would work, being part of the magic pack). It did not.

Symptoms: Intellifonts and clipart do not appear or fonts appear as lines or black gibberish.

So determined it was a software issue, and I wanted to run Wordworth so I formatted both partitions of my hard drive. Now all that is on DH0: is Workbench 3.1 and all that is on DH1: is Wordworth 4SE (Magic Pack version).

The problem STILL happened until I removed my RAM board and the problem then went away.

My question: What the *!@$ is the problem?

I like running a classic machine, but 2MB RAM is too little. I will buy a different RAM board if I need to but there must be an answer to this. Another word processor is another workaround but I have been using Wordworth for years on other Amigas and this SHOULD work!!

Please help.

Go to top
Re: Wordworth and Blizzard 1200/4

See User information
Could be....

22:32] <SeverinA1> a1200: sounds like one of the chips has packed up on your ram board
[22:34] <a1200> SeverinA1: seems like it could be a RAM error doesn't it?
[22:34] <a1200> not allowing the fonts to mapped to a particular adress
[22:35] <SeverinA1> yes, have you cleaned the contacts ?
[22:35] <a1200> yup
[22:35] <a1200> could try removing the FPU?
[22:36] <SeverinA1> with plain a4 paper for the mobo side?
[22:36] <SeverinA1> no point ww doesn't it
[22:36] <a1200> The board does not touch the any of the metal etc.
[22:36] <SeverinA1> + use
[22:37] <a1200> yeah and I have use math programs with no problem
[22:37] <SeverinA1> go hunt for a nice accelerator to replace it, 030 50 or similar
[22:38] <a1200> I have an 030 at work, but its on ebay cos it plays up lol

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@A1200

That seems weird. I assume that other programs that use the same memory, work okay.

Do you have the same behaviour with the CPU cache disabled?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@A1200

A wild guess: do you have any patches that are redirectineg some routines to use fast mem instead of chip? Removal of the board effectively switches off these routines and may be WW is not intended to work with such a patch(es).

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top

See User information
@Jack

Resolved. Bought a Blizzard 1220/4 :)

Go to top

Register To Post