Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

Georg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: The "uploader" mystery.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Is there any particular reason for using "uploader" instead of just filling in the real information, and hiding the email for that upload if they want to? I could understand not wanting people to associate you with a program you're not the author of, and being asked to fix bugs etc.

Hopefully people realise the person in "Uploader:" doesn't mean they're responsible for the software itself.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@MickJT

There's no reason not to put real information in the "uploader" field. The reason it exists is so the uploader can be contacted about any problems (corrupt archive, legal, etc) if the archive is rejected.

OS4Depot should not allow the uploader field to be filled in with an invalid email address. Nobody should be putting "uploader" here, the upload should be rejected if there isn't a valid contact as it is probably a unauthorised upload, potentially an intentionally maliciously altered version.

I didn't realise you could even just type "uploader" in there and it would be accepted. I thought it was a OS4Depot admin doing those uploads.

Anyway, I'm with ChrisH - it's far easier to upload with FTP to Aminet. I don't want to have to try to keep track of where my software is and which versions, and it's harder when it has been uploaded elsewhere without my knowledge. I don't mind, as long as the person doing the uploads continues to update with newer versions, otherwise it's just a headache for everybody (although AmiUpdate helps).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris
What make you think, that anyone who use "uploader" to just help to fill os4depot, should have any responsibility for software done not by person who use "uploader" ? Its just show all of us, that its just uploaded by someone, while original authors do not do so. And that all. No responosibility, nothing. Just help newbes to have all the stuff at one place.

No need to stay in pose against "uploader" a person(s) who help newbes to have all at one place. "uploader" already loose his precious time to do what you, as developer should do.

And why anyone should contact "uploader", if he for example upload some of your software ? (as i do before with your permission). I do not need to listen bug-reports which should go to software authors. And i do not want to looks like moron who put everywhere own name, in the software which he just upload, but have no connection to at all.

In the first place, why you didn't upload all your stuff yourself on os4depot ? You already know that for last 10 years most of os4 users use os4depot, and not aminet. And even if you find "web uploading" annoing in compare with "ftp uploading" , it is no excuse :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kas1e

I knew commenting on this thread would be a mistake.

Quote:
What make you think, that anyone who use "uploader" to just help to fill os4depot, should have any responsibility for software done not by person who use "uploader" ? Its just show all of us, that its just uploaded by someone, while original authors do not do so. And that all. No responosibility, nothing. Just help newbes to have all the stuff at one place.
[...]
And why anyone should contact "uploader", if he for example upload some of your software ? (as i do before with your permission). I do not need to listen bug-reports which should go to software authors. And i do not want to looks like moron who put everywhere own name, in the software which he just upload, but have no connection to at all.

I'm not asking them to have any responsibility beyond putting their name to whatever it is they've uploaded. There are any number of reasons why the person doing the uploading might need to be contacted, and none of them involve being a point of contact for bug reports.

Quote:

In the first place, why you didn't upload all your stuff yourself on os4depot ? You already know that for last 10 years most of os4 users use os4depot, and not aminet. And even if you find "web uploading" annoing in compare with "ftp uploading" , it is no excuse :)

Why bother when the mysterious uploader will do it for me?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:

There's a separate author field, so it's clear enough who actually wrote the software.

If an uploader has permission (either by contacting the author, or via the software's licence), then I see no reason for the uploader (a.k.a., submitter) to hide their identity behind a name like "uploader."

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I get the feeling this is going to be a really unpopular response...

It occurs to me that allowing anonymous uploads to a file distribution website probably puts the site owner at risk. As long as you can show reasonable effort to make sure that files on your site are not pirated, there should be no problem.
Choosing to allow anonymous uploads is exactly the opposite of that, and could easily be construed as "supporting illegal file distribution", because you are willing to hide the identity of the uploader, thus protecting them from any repercussions.
I am not a lawyer, but I would be quite careful about distributing files from unknown sources. It seems to be a very risky choice to make.

OS4Depot is too important to risk. Please protect yourself by requiring the identity of each files uploader.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Xenic
Uploaded dopus4, as dopus4.lha, with pointing to replace old Directoryopus.lha, as well as add all the stuff you say to the readme.

@all
I upload it not as "uploader", but as myself, but that sucky enough. Ppls will think that i somehow related to it, while i am not. But whatever.. file will be here and of latest version and that is good.

@Orgin
Probably old version password protected, if so, can you manually replace old directoryopus.lha on new one i upload few mins ago ? Thanks in advance.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I agree first upload may be easier on Aminet than on OS4depot. However updating an existing version is far easier : just click on 'update' button select new file and change version and summary... How can it be easier?

@Origin

OS4Depot is the most important place for AOS4 it should not disappear.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LyleHaze
I would hope that users would notify Orgin about anything illegal they D/L from OS4Depot. You're probably right though.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin
A number of posts are expressing concerns for anonymous uploads.
Some could be met if the uploader was known to the site's administrator, who could disclose the uploader if there is a reason to..
Don't know if the site checks for the validity of the author's mail address , if yes the same scheme may apply to the uploader's address and the field may show "Uploader known" if that's what the uploader wants.

Other concerns might be met with suggestions in a previous post
Quote:
Why not add a list of programmersites , URL's, feedback wanted, maybe have the possibility to list even the URL's of their program's, permission for automatic upload, or a general description of what they are about

In fact if lists of programmer' download pages would appear on the site,, one can think of searches in the site itself and on these pages, and surely at the same time on Aminet, maybe other sites too

Having googled for "advanced searching" i did note Joseph Becher's site http://jwebnet.net/advancedgooglesearch.html
He was kind enough to point me to
 https://developers.google.com/custom-search/json-api/v1/overview i
showing how you can build specific search engines.

It seems to me that building a specific (common) search engine for Aminet & OS4Depot is feasable.& bcause the essential info is available in both

Quote:

OS4Depot /Aminet
01 Description /Short
02 Download: /Download
11 Size: /Size
06 Version:/Version
08 Date:  25 Mar 15 /Date 2015-03-25
03 Author:  /Author
04 Submitter /Uploader
12 Email /
13 Homepage /
05.Category /Type
14 Replaces /
15 License /
16 Distribute /
07 Min OS Version: /Architecture
17 FileID:  /

18 Comments:  /
19 Snapshots:  /
09 Downloads:  /Downloads?
09  (Accumulated) /DownLoads ?

Fields lacking imho are
- source available
- if available programming language used

That's work again but with some standardisation of download pages of programmers (and/or of common info for all therir programs on OS4Depot ) "lazy" programmers could connect to more users.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH Quote:
2. The FTP way means I can automate the final upload step, such that once I've got the ReadMe exactly how I want, I can just run a script which uploads it (using FTP Mount). I can't with the Web page way (it might technically be possible, but it would require emulating a web browser's HTTP responses).

It looks like it might be possible to do this from a script using Curl:
http://curl.haxx.se/docs/httpscripting.html

Anyone care to work out how to do it?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
If curl's http scripting can't be used, a script could probably be written that uses TCP: to do the uploading.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)