Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
73 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5)
Re: need advice on SAM460EX purchase
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@magic
I have *three* X1000s, and I use one of them for a door stop.

JUST KIDDING . One beta X1000 mobo was enough for me. If I want a backup machine, I can always keep my trusty Sam440...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@magic
I have *three* X1000s, and I use one of them for a door stop.

heh, that just reminds me of this!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@derfs

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA :D

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
klapdeur wrote:
Hi nbache and does the card work now with the esata cabel ti internal hdd?
I just picked up the cable at the post office yesterday and haven't had time to try it yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Right, I have now tried connecting my hard disk to the eSata port of the ExSys EX-3506 instead of its internal SATA port, and it unfortunately made no difference. (I did remember to put back the jumpers on the card to switch from internal channel 0 to eSata channel 0.)

UBoot seems to find SATA unit 0, but then just prints a number of dots until it times out and goes on to boot my next device (the SD card).

From Workbench, I cannot see the device either. Media Toolbox doesn't list the sii3114ide.device at all, and if I force it to check it by putting it in the tooltypes, it just says it cannot use it because there are no units attached (or somethnig like that). If I put sii3114ide.device into the tooltypes of Mounter and run that, it also finds no units.

I then tried replacing sii3114ide.device with the old beta sam3114ide.device Max sent me (which, as it turned out, I did already have, I had just put it somewhere where I didn't find it at first ), but that didn't make any difference.

So at least for the moment, it doesn't look like this card is a solution to the Sam460 connectivity limitations.

Best regards,

Niels

P.S. I forgot nexus' tip about trying with GiggleDisk; I'll try it and get back later, although I don't really have high hopes given the poor results so far.

nexus, do you have any other details about your setup which may make a difference? Is it exactly the same card which is working for you?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have bought a PEX8112 based PCI Express 1x to PCI Bridge card and
tried on my Sam460. My motivation was to put Sil3512 on PCI-E 1x to
PCI adapter and use PCI slot SBLive sound card.

I have made the changes in UBoot and removed the jumper:

- I plugged Sil3512 card on PCI-E 1x adapter card, it seems UBoot
couldn't recognize SATA SSD or DVD connected to Sil3512.

SBLive isn't a low profile card so it is not possible to close Sam460
case when it is plugged to PCI-E 1x PCI adapter:

However I plugged Sil3512 back to PCI slot of Sam460 and plugged
SBlive on PCI-E 1x adapter, when OS4 boots both PEX8112 adapter card
and SBlive card is recognized by Ranger.

So I guess PCI-1x -> PCI adapter card is working on AmigaOS4.

My question:
Is there a way to use PCI-1x adapter on UBoot when booting from
Sil3512 plugged on PCI-1x -> PCI adapter ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@All

I know this tread is old, but i tried to search the forum for some answer to my problem. I know that on Sam460 only have tree different interfaces Pci, Pcie-1x and Pcie-16x.

Now my system is:

Pcie-1x = Envy24HT PCIe audio card
Pci = Silicon Image SiI3114 4 ports
Pcie-16x = Ati X1950PRo

This is a perfect solution for me, i am very satisfied how good working and stable my system is. But i want to try
to get a working Warp3D setup, manly just for education and exploring, but also want to try it out, since i have never seen Warp3D do any magic ever. I know Ati hd drivers eventually will come, but i want to ask if its possible.

The problem is, i don't want to loose Sata card or the sound card. My only option is Pci-e 16x.

So is it possible to get a Pcie-16x - Pci Riser, and have those Ati 9xxx card working with Warp3D? if possible, would it be slow or fast?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@noXLar

Quote:
So is it possible to get a Pcie-16x - Pci Riser, and have those Ati 9xxx card working with Warp3D? if possible, would it be slow or fast?

AFAIK, you can plug a 1x card into a 16x slot. So, a PCIe-1x to PCI riser should work just fine.

You may want to consider using the PCIe to PCI-X riser that Goos and mbrantley tried on their A1-X1000s (see this thread). They're expensive, but they report getting better performance than with the A1-X1000's own PCI slot.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

thank you, it helped. So i understand the Pci-X Riser isn't compatible with Pci slot on Sam460, but it would work with Pci-e 16x slot on it? if so, that it's the route i will take, i tried to find the riser adapter in Europa with no luck, but i will order the one mention in the other tread and the Riser cabel. so tried to find Ati card and Pcie-16x - Pci last night, my best card would be Ati 9250 256mb 128mbit non 5v.

the ati card was difficult to find, so maybe 9250 128mb will have to do.

about the last riser adapter i mention, have you any link or some name i could know, so i don't order a wrong one her..

I appreciate your help, thanks

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@eliyahu

Several have already mentioned that your graphics card choices are limited to single-slot card in order to use your pci slot; however, that is not necessarily the case.

I use an ARC1-152-C7 riser card for my PCI slot, which makes room for a dual slot HD 4850. The riser card has my sil0680 card. With enough ribbon length, the ARC1-152 can allow you to use a dual slot graphics card and all of the slots on the SAM460ex. Just make sure you have adequate cooling and air flow in your case (as always).

Sold the SAM460ex lite... waiting for money for X5000 or A1222 and OS 4.2
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@interrogative

does it exist "big" 3.5V ati 9250 card? it's just imported to get the best solution warp3d capable card to work, and i'm not after dual gfx card setup, i would then loose ether sound or sata card.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@noXLar

I was replying to eliyahu. I just noticed the original date of his posting (old thread). Concerning the 9xxx card, follow Hans' suggestion.

Sold the SAM460ex lite... waiting for money for X5000 or A1222 and OS 4.2
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@eliyahu

On board audio is fine here with my SAM460EX

SAM 460 with 2GB or RAM, 1000GB HD, 4 port SATA, DVDRW drive and Radeon HD 4650 GFX card.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5)