Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

PageStream via DOpus5
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I wasn't going to bother this forum until I had finished the manual(s), but I have encountered a very serious problem.

I gave up Workbench entirely, and now boot only DOpus. In a way, I'm cheating, because it looks very much like Workbench, especially since I found out how to get my WB Leave-outs to come on the DOpus screen. (What a mess; I'm going to do a lot of reconfiguration as soon as I have a good grip on what I'm doing.)

But... I have been using PageStream 5.0.5.8 Pro for several years to do some small but essential tasks. I have not been able to launch it under DOpus5. CPUInfo indicates 95~100% for about 15 seconds, then stops, CPU usage dropping to 5~15% range.

Three attempts have produced exactly the same 2,344 line debug file, ending with

FT_Done_Face calling
FT_Done_Face returned
fontpath_update done

What I assume conks it out is the following task(s), which in an un-crashed debug file would be

initapprsrc name:en_US theme:<NULL>
oldsyskey2newsyskey oldkey:29 -> 80000029
oldsyskey2newsyskey oldkey:28 -> 80000028
oldsyskey2newsyskey oldkey:28 -> 80000028
oldsyskey2newsyskey oldkey:20 -> 80000020
oldsyskey2newsyskey oldkey:21 -> 80000021
oldsyskey2newsyskey oldkey:22 -> 80000022
oldsyskey2newsyskey oldkey:23 -> 80000023
oldsyskey2newsyskey oldkey:21 -> 80000021
oldsyskey2newsyskey oldkey:24 -> 80000024
initapprsrc name:en_US theme:<NULL>
execute macro OPEN Apps:pgs5058/Documents/chuteclimb.pgs STATUS
Mnew_picture notifyhandle:0
Mset_pictureattr #1 notifyhandle:0
Mset_pictureattr #2 notifyhandle:0
Mset_pictureattr MOD_FileInfo #1 notifyhandle:0
Mset_pictureattr MOD_FileInfo #2 file:bartssite:barts15/albums/waimea/catchute/panorama.JPG
Mset_pictureattr MOD_FileInfo #3 notifyhandle:0
Mset_pictureattr MOD_FileInfo #4 notifyhandle:0 file:bartssite:barts15/albums/waimea/catchute/panorama.JPG
Mset_pictureattr MOD_ModuleName #1 notifyhandle:0 modulename:(len:4) JPEG
Mset_pictureattr MOD_ModuleName #2 notifyhandle:0
Mnew_bm
Mnew_bm obhandle:585C4DC0 pbmhandle:585C42E8 bmhandle:585C5140
Mget_bmattrA pbmhandle:585C42E8 bmhandle:585C5140
Mget_bmattrA done
loaded_PICTURE (!external) notifyhandle:0
execute macro DISPLAY OFFSET -3.2162i -5.8401i

etc.

Are there any clues here? Are other WBR DOpus users able to run PageStream properly? Am I going to have to practice switching C:LoadWB-old and LoadWB back and forth from their other identities?

Go to top
Re: PageStream via DOpus5
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

I use Pagestream 4.5ish 68k, 2.2 and 5.x have never worked on my X1000, even with 4.5 I can only run it once without having to reboot. run, quit, run crash...

try changing the way you start it. try these combinations.

amigados pagestream
amigados wbrun pagestream
workbench pagestream
workbench pagestream with pagestreams icon changed to run from shell

There are 2 programs that I know of that will not run with dopus5 running, ADPRO and pagestram 2.2 although pagestream 2.2 is unconfirmed as I never ran it on my X before switching to WBR mode.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

AFAIK PageStream 5.0.5.8 for 68K never ran from Workbench and for some reason had to be executed from Shell.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

I wasn't sure exactly what you mean, but I tried running it from a shell:

6.System:> run Apps:pgs5058/pagestream5

and it came up! Thanks for the hint. There was one scary dip in CPU usage, but it recovered immediately.

It is strange that 68K PageStream 5.0.5.8 Pro works rather well on my machines (starting with the original AmigaOne and OS4.1 ver 6, the SAM, and the X1000) while many others seem to have problems with it, but I'm secretly glad it isn't the other way around.

4.1.4.6 (?) stopped working; probably problems with assigns that I was too dumb/lazy to fix.

Again, thanks.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

Quote:
There was one scary dip in CPU usage, but it recovered immediately.
Why would a dip in CPU usage be scary? It was probably just waiting for the disk to deliver a loaded program file or other resource.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache
Scary because the only previous time I had seen it dip when loading PgS was when it was about to conk out. Dipping and recovering is a new phenom here; I always watch CPUInfo when it is launching -- when the solid part gets to the "100%" in the upper left corner, I know the PgS screen is about to appear -- and I've only seen that dip twice when it wasn't about to crash, two of the last three successful launches.

@Trixie
I seem to recall a time when I had to -- or thought I had to -- launch from CLI, but I had been doing it from Workbench icon for over three years at least. Even from the DOpus WBR screen, it gets more than half-way there before it dies.

Granted, it isn't the most stable program in the world. Sometimes it crashes the machine when I ask Open Recent. When I reboot, I start a new file first, and then Open Recent. That always seems to work.

Computers is weird.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I found another way to run PageStream5.

I can still run DM2, and if I do so, and select the PageStream5 executable and then click Run Selected in the Launch menu, up comes the application just as it used to when I clicked the Workbench icon.

Go to top

Register To Post