Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

New extversion release
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Marko has release a new beta of the extversion project on os4depot.

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... lity/shell/extversion.lha

Please help him test the binary so that he can work towards sending this project to Hyperion.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Re: New extversion release
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Sorry for lame question (as probably was asked few times already), but did it will be "extversion" binary which will be in C: by default ? If so, imho than not so nice to have 2 different binaries (vesion and extversion) for about the same purposes. Probably it should be just 1 binary "version" as it now, just with functionaly of old version strings, and new "ext" ones. Or i miss the moment, and it will be exactly like this and code of extversion will be just added to the "version" code, and when user will do "version something" there will be and usual VER and EXTVER if present ?

But then, why we just can't use VER as before, i mean add the same as was done before in software coder working on, or there is some moments which i miss again and there is needs for EXTVER ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Well, wheather Version and Extversion will be merged into one binary or use two binaries is, at the end of the day, up to Hyperion as I understand it. :)

I'm more concended about the $EXTVER: cookie (data format) right now :S
It has data redundancy, almost all entries in $EXTVER: are duplicates of the ones in $VER: except of one entry, easier to make mistakes when duplicating the fields and so on (not so optimal IMHO)..

But one binary or two binaries, I can keep that in mind when adding/implementing options and stuff. And try to make it easier whether there will be a merge or not.

AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
http://m4rko.com/AMIGA
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
But then, why we just can't use VER as before, i mean add the same as was done before in software coder working on, or there is some moments which i miss again and there is needs for EXTVER ?

You can use the $VER: as before, the $EXTVER: is just a complement to $VER:.

So you may use $VER:

or

both $VER: and $EXTVER:

as it looks right now.

$EXTVER: Is meant for if you want to add a non-amiga-version-string (like beta2 or 1.05rc3) in addition to the normal amiga-version.

Edited by Marko on 2014/5/30 14:32:32
Edited by Marko on 2014/5/30 14:35:22
AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Right now I have followed the "specification" for Extversion given on OpenAmiga.org. I don't know if there has been any talk on some thread about the format in the Extver cookie, or if it has been decided by Hyperion already. But I'm pondering on making some changes in that area to make it easier whether extversion will be just a complement or a replacement to/for the $VER: cookie...

So, the normal version cookie looks like this:
Quote:
$VER: programname version.revision (dd.mm.yyyy) comment

The Extversion cookie looks like this (at the moment)
Quote:
$EXTVER: programname versionstring (dd.mm.yyyy) comment

So the thing I'm pondering on right now, to make the $EXTVER: cookie "fit/adaptable" to both cases depending on if Hyperion decides to use it as a complement or a replacement is:

Quote:
$EXTVER: programname amigaversion.revision (dd.mm.yyyy) nonamigaversion comment

In the above cookie, a slight change in $EXTVER: cookie. It's just as the version cookie but the nonamigaversion field has been added at position where the comment is, and the comment is moved one step further.

* This has also data redundancy as the original $EXTVER: cookie, but it supports both amiga-version-numbers and non-amiga-version-strings.
* And fits better whether Hyperion wants to replace $VER: with it or not.
* And makes it easier for developers also since it looks almost the same as the $VER: cookie except the non-amiga-version field is placed where the comment field would have been on a normal VERSION cookie.
* And it seems some devs already writes the non-amiga-version-string in the comments section anyway.

And also a shorter $EXTVER: cookie with much less data redundancy, making it more fit if $EXTVER: will be just a complement. It is assumed that the other info is in the normal VERSION cookie already.
Quote:
$EXTVER: nonamigaversion

I think there will not be any bigger issues codewise to support both the altered and the shorter $EXTVER: cookie. Depends on if the "specification" is already set in stone (by Hyperion/the users/devs/?) or if it's open for alterations...

What do you think?

Keep the $EXTVER: as it is (option 1), or go for the slighly altered $EXTVER: and the shorter $EXTVER: to make it "more fit" (option 2)?

Edited by Marko on 2014/5/30 13:51:44
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
If you're replacing $VER with $EXTVER I'd suggest to rename it as $VERS or something of that ilk.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

$EXTVER: Is not a replacement (yet, but in case if in the future)...

But from your reply I take it that you are suggesting option 2 right thanks

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
To be honest I don't see the need for a new cookie at all. Just add the non amiga version in the existing comment of the $VER string.

Perhaps you could use a TAB as a delimeter, that way old version would see just the comment as a whole, new extversion could split the comment at the TAB.

In fact you could *require* the tab for it to be an extversion.

"\0$VER programname version.revision (dd.mm.yyyy) nonamigaversion\tcomment\0"

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Yes, something like that would be possible too, thanks :)

But I take it that you're suggesting option 2 as well...

PS: $EXTVER: is not a requirement, it's just optional.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
As being the one who created the project.

EXTVER is _NOT_ a replacement to VER. It's solely intended as a complement to VER.

All of this is described in a very simple language that most people should be able to understand on the project page.

Hyperion has deemed this project, as it is currently defined, to be of HIGH priority.

Any redefinition of the regular $VER cookie is NOT part of this project.

Including the Amiga version in the $EXTVER cookie is NOT part of this project.

Any other cookie definition like $VERS or whatever is NOT part of this project.

If someone wants to include any of those three then that would have to be a separate, non official, project not related to either hyperion nor openamiga.

An acceptable alternate solution is to create a replacement "version" command where you can specify if it's the Extversion you're interested in as a new command line parameter. That is, it would be able to handle both cookies.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Ok, thanks for the info. I stick to option 1, following the specification (on OpenAmiga.org) fully as I have done already.

Quote:
An acceptable alternate solution is to create a replacement "version" command where you can specify if it's the Extversion you're interested in as a new command line parameter. That is, it would be able to handle both cookies.

Yep, that should be possible, added to TODO list :)

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Marko

The original version command might have some sanity checks like being able to handle two digit years and such. And there might be other quirks it handles as well. Though without the original source it's hard to know what those sanity checks might be.

Perhaps you can check with ssolie or rigo for pointers if you go for a replacement command.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yep, that's something to consider. I'll make it fully working with Extver first, before/then if going to stage 2 (replacement), I can check with ssolie or rigo for pointers, thanks... :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Marko

The Version command is quite a complex beast, as I understand it, probably better to let the OS4 team merge your functionality into it, if they so desire, than to attempt a replacement function with dual functionality.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Yes noted, thanks :) I'll make fully working with Extver before anything else, then we'll see, we take from there...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Marko

I don't get it, what stops anyone from adding the $EXTVER stuff on a new line in $VER

what the point of doing:

static const char ver[] = “VER$ amiga prog 1.1 (dd.m.yyyy)“;
static const char extver[] = “EXTVER$ Linux ver 1.1.1“;

vs doing:

static const char *var “VER$ amiga prog 1.1 (dd.m.yyyy)\nLinux ver 1.1.1“;

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Marko

Might be best to not allow two digit years for the extver if that was what you were referring to, let's not invite more quirks than we need to. Better to have a strict and well known format.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Ok, two digit years removed (for now)

Go to top

Register To Post