Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

nbache, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)
Re: Big E-UAE JIT blog
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ScottCabit

cpu_speed=real

I belive real is to set the CPU to 7Mhz, you should use Max, unless you emulate 68000, should be max for 68020/030/040.

cpu_speed=max

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Oh...yes..you are right.
I was experimenting and must have had it that way when I used it last. Please do set cpu_speed=max for fastest results.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@magnetic Quote:
It would be really nice if you didnt speak to me in a patronizing way.

That was certainly not intended. Let me rephrase myself: This early Beta (Alpha?) of JIT is intended for hardcore users only, not casual users. Therefore not surprising it may seem confusing. So if you find it confusing then simply don't bother. Wait until proper (non-beta) version has been released. Then you won't need to worry about choosing which version.

Quote:
Im more refering to all the differnt version of UAE (SDL, Runin, etc etc) not the executable itself.

Well, now you seem to be changing the subject from JIT to something else (off-topic)... but I don't see how choice is a bad thing. But if you don't WANT to have to choose, then (IMHO) simply go with the version of UAE that comes with AmigaOS4.1. (i.e. RunInUAE)

BTW, RunInUAE isn't a version of UAE itself, but rather it uses the version of E-UAE that I found worked "best". Once JIT is completed, I'll release a new version of RunInUAE which contains the "best" JIT-enabled version of E-UAE. However, you can make RunInUAE use any version of E-UAE you want right now (including JIT version), if you really want.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood Quote:
Why is this needed? I'm right now using RunInUAE with the Jit UAE. I only replaced the UAE binary by the JIT one.

It isn't NEEDED. But it will save users having to worry about configuring E-UAE to get JIT working. Which is much of the point of RunInUAE.

ALSO, I want to allow users to toggle JIT globally & per-game.

BTW, apart from telling RunInUAE to use a different binary (or replacing the binary), you also need to changing .uaerc config file to enable JIT.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ScottCabit Quote:
To enable JIT, you must add these commands to your .uaerc file.

enable_jit=yes
cpu_speed=real
cpu_type=68020
cpu_compatible=false
cpu_cycle_exact=false
blitter_cycle_exact=false
comp_optimize=no
cachesize=8192
comp_constjump=yes
comp_trustbyte=indirect
comp_trustword=indirect
comp_trustlong=indirect

Oh dear, you just broke RunInUAE's A500 emulation . I do NOT recommend that average users try to enable JIT in RunInUAE (for exactly this sort of reason), but if you 'must' do so, then here is what I recommend is added to the END of RunInUAE's ".uaerc" file:

Quote:
# JIT
enable_jit=yes
cachesize=8192
cpu_compatible=false
cpu_cycle_exact=false
blitter_cycle_exact=false
comp_optimize=no
comp_constjump=yes
comp_trustbyte=indirect
comp_trustword=indirect
comp_trustlong=indirect
show_leds=true

The lack of "cpu_type=68020" is very intentional, as is the lack of "cpu_speed=". These are defined in the .uaerc_RunInUAE file, which is used by the A1200 (AGA) emulation. JIT isn't supported by A500 (68000) emulation, due to lack of CPU cache on that system (cpu). So why don't I put JIT stuff in the .uaerc_RunInUAE file? That is due to technical limitations of how RunInUAE works, which I don't want to get into right now.

EDIT: Please note that you MUST remove these lines when I add JIT support to RunInUAE. Because those lines will be put in the .uaerc_RunInUAE file instead, and leaving them in .uaerc will prevent RunInUAE from turning the JIT off.

Edited by ChrisH on 2014/1/20 13:50:57
Edited by ChrisH on 2014/1/20 13:51:28
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

I can say for sure one thing everything depend of what is needed to do and what machine users are using.
Personally i found the jit more faster but in Rtg mode.
I dont see difference in the old games Ecs or on AGA.
I have some friends who have Sam 440 or AmigaOne G3 who are writing that see very much speed improvement after jit exit.
For sure without jit too the last Euae is 3x more faster in CPU performances,but we know is not the cpu the problem in the emulator but is the Chipset .
Example there are games who was really slow on a peg 1266mhz or on Xe 933 after this last build i see couple of frames increment.
Try Ghost & Goblis

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@AmigaBlitter

Looks like the title was changed from third to forth, but the URL stayed the same.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I'm slightly annoyed to have Álmos (seemingly) mis-quoted me on his blog (and out of context to boot), without even having replied or messaged me once first:
Quote:
Many of the users have irrational expectations for how much the JIT compiling will speed up the emulator. (According to somebody: it supposed to be "ten times faster than the interpretive"... Err... Not likely. How did they come up with any number anyway?)

That doesn't appear to be an actual quote (despite the use of quotes), since Google fails to find an exact match, but I guess he was paraphrasing what I wrote ages ago in this thread:
Quote:
2. Does he plan any further optimisations, or changes which might give big speed-ups? I was a bit disappointed that the last speed test he made (in May!) only showed a 4x speed-up (which is significant, but not nearly enough for many of the reasons people want JIT in the first place). I would have hoped for perhaps a 10x speed-up...

I'm not sure how he translated "a bit disappointed", "would have hoped" & "perhaps 10x" into "irrational expectations"... But if he *had* chosen to ask me where I got that "10x" figure from, I would have answered something like this:

Interpreted programming languages are (very roughly speaking) 10x slower than natively compiled languages (could be 5x or 20x slower, or worse if badly done). In an ideal case JIT could approach natively compiled speeds (if super optimised), hence a 10x speed-up might be possible.

To prove I'm not entirely talking out my arse, a quick search found this:
Quote:
Comparing interpreted code with JIT, a JIT is usually about ten times as fast. Certainly in the Kaffe Java virtual machine, the JIT is ten times as fast as the interpreter.

But maybe 68k emulation is especially difficult to JIT, so you can't speed it up as much? I found this benchmark of a 68k JIT:
Quote:
Manipulating a large .JPG graphic
Basilisk II JIT R5: 3.1 seconds
Basilisk II .9: 18.8 seconds

(i.e. a speed-up of 6.0 times)
Quote:
Stuffit Test Two
Basilisk II JIT R3: 2.3 seconds
Basilisk II .9: 12.6 seconds

(i.e. a speed-up of 5.5 times)

A couple of other tests showed speed-ups of 3.2 & 3.5 times, but I am on-purposely trying to find the best-possible JIT vs Interpretive performance (since that is what is being disputed).

Finally, I quickly ran my own tests using BogoMIPS:
AmigaOS4.1 interpreted emulation gave 36.5 BogoMIPS
AmigaOS4.1 Petunia (JIT) gave 189.0 BogoMIPS
(And just for fun, AmigaOS4.1 natively compiled gave 1138.0 BogoMIPS)

That makes Petunia JIT 5.2 times faster than interpreted emulation. Álmos should be slightly familiar with Petunia

So I think given all the above, it's not unreasonable that a CPU-bound test of E-UAE's new JIT could realistically aim for 5-6 times faster. And my pick-a-figure-our-of-the-air guess of 10 times faster was certainly not an "irrationally expectation", even if it was slightly higher than appears to be possible.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

As he doesn't mention your name at all, what use is it to defend yourself in a public forum like this? No-one could attribute the alleged misquotes to you until you stood up and pointed at yourself.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie
Ummm, anyone who read this thread? (Which was why I replied on this thread.)

Anyway, I'm not THAT annoyed (as I said) but to claim that 10x is an "irrational expectation" seems silly to me. 5x or 6x for 68k is provably possible.

OTOH, if it turns out that he wasn't (mis)quoting me (but rather someone else), then it demonstrates you shouldn't quote someone without naming them (or if you feel that is being too rude/nasty, then don't quote them at all).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
if it turns out that he wasn't (mis)quoting me (but rather someone else), then it demonstrates you shouldn't quote someone without naming them (or if you feel that is being too rude/nasty, then don't quote them at all).

You know, he could have put more people's feedback into a generalized opinion, rather than quoting one particular person.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Almos

Mate don't know if they were already reported but I have some problems with a couple of AGA games

Fighting Spirit quit UAE automatically just after the intro, no crash or whatever, it just quit the emulator

Kid Chaos AGA instead start and work normally but the JIT led is always (solid) black coloured just like it will doesn't use any JIT

Othen than that all seems pretty fine, really nice job!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hope Michael will make an SDL version of it ... because SDL gave the opportunity to use RTG :P

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'll make an SDL version of beta 2. Give me a day.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

I am sorry if I misquoted your forum post. My intention was more like a generic comment on the expectations.
I still believe that the 10 times speed-up is not achievable (at least not with the current structure) and the actual speed increase is depending on the executed code highly, so an average 4-5 times faster execution sounds more reasonable.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MickJT

Don't forget the Amigfx version with all the keys enabled.

thank you

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@AmigaBlitter

right now the beta 2 is AmiGfx only

@michael

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
E-mails will be sent to you both very shortly.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)