Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »
Re: AmigaOS and web browsing in 2013
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mike
(regarding open-sourcing of TimberWolf)
Quote:
My point being though if the foundations for it to run on os4 could be open sourced and made into a community project we would have loads more resources devoted to solving problems

Ah ha, just like our really old port of Odyssey (MUI OWB), which not even Kas1e seems to find the time/interest in updating?

@vox Quote:
So if you ask me, its all unrealistic, and better collect 5k for fab. That for sure more realistic and more faster way to have html5 working in odyssey in os4.

AFAIK the 5k would give us a *slightly* newer version of Odyssey, but still much older than the MorphOS port & without any HTML5 video (I am happy to be corrected if this is wrong).

As such I'm not sure what benefits the 5k bounty would actually give us. Seems a lot for what is probably just some bug fixes & a few non-essential extra features?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Dont think have html5 on Owb will make miracles

In this video you will see my Macmini 1.5ghz and 64 Vram run a 360p video from you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qD3utEywNM

The best solution right now if you wanna see video on youtube is Mtube QT porting by Guillaume

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsIXVr2J6RU <-- here it si running at 360p real time encoding/decoding on my old 1Ghz configuration Pegasos 2

I am able now on my pegasos at 1.266mhz on Mtube to run a 480p perfect audio and video sync.

note:amigaOs4 mplayer is old and buggy and need to be fixed and updated

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
AFAIK the 5k would give us a *slightly* newer version of Odyssey, but still much older than the MorphOS port & without any HTML5 video (I am happy to be corrected if this is wrong).

HTML5 video support has been in there for some time, but the OS4 builds do not include it.

on the subject of yet another 'bounty:' the performance differences between 1.16 and 1.20 are noticeable on my MOS box. i would be happy to contribute funds for version parity with the MOS version. i would not contribute funds for further back-level versions.

i'd still rather have a more performant/stable timberwolf than anything else.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

The 5k euros would be for a current version of webkit (i.e october 2013) and HTML5 media.

But if noone is interested, well, not my problem... :)

@tlosm

You're really bad at benchmarks you know... Or you're being very dishonest. I'm not sure...

You didn't even enable the overlay/fullscreen mode in odyssey, so video display is done through software cairo, which is rather slow, but still enough on a mac mini (even if cpu usage is close to 100%). But with overlay enabled, it would be like 30% cpu usage on a mac mini. Thanks for your totally irrelevant benchmark !
For the record, i use the same display routine in OWB as in my MPlayer port when overlay is enabled, and it's about as fast. On my G5 setup, in OWB, i can play 720p stuff at 50% cpu load and 1080p when bitrate isn't too high.

Then, you compare that against OS4 playing this video in MPlayer... Totally bogus comparison. In this case, also use MPlayer under MorphOS (oh but sorry, it's faster, you probably didn't want to show that...). Alternatively, if you want to be fair on a browser basis, don't compare against a standalone video player, and play this video with Timberworlf (but i know, 1fps isn't very impressive).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Fab

Quote:
But if noone is interested, well, not my problem... :)

We are, but how to send you the money ?
Give us some more info and then we can organize the bounty

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79
You can do whatever you want with your money but I think we would be better off donating to developers that care about AmigaOS and want to make it better.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie
Quote:
I think we would be better off donating to developers that care about AmigaOS and want to make it better.

I guess people would happily keep donating to the Timberwolf project (whoever continues with it), if only AmigaBounty didn't cock it all up. The money was paid for an apparently unfinished project, and the bounty lost credibility.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Fab Quote:
The 5k euros would be for a current version of webkit (i.e october 2013) and HTML5 media.

OK, that sounds a lot better

@ssolie Quote:
You can do whatever you want with your money but I think we would be better off donating to developers that care about AmigaOS and want to make it better.

The problem is the bounty money was paid for a slow & often unstable version of TimberWolf... and it subsequently hasn't seen any updates for well over a year (13.6 months).

I know there are some extenuating circumstances, but it's still easy for people to conclude that TimberWolf development has ground to a halt (or at least goes at a snails pace), and so (rightly or wrongly) conclude they have lost interest in developing it.

Note: I'm NOT saying people should pay for Odyssey instead of TimberWolf. I'm just pointing out how things can appear.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ssolie

But in this case collect the required amount could means having the full access to that code, at which point it may become a 100% OS4's programmers efforts (kas1e and maybe others)

Regarding other related projects (web browser) the only person who deserve monetary support (imho) is Alfkil for his Qt5 project

Of course Timberwolf still around eventually, but we haven't any public info til now .. the project has already been assigned to someone else ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
On a more general note: with the apparent demise of AmigaBounty we seem to be missing the actual infrastructure for managing bounty projects. I personally wouldn't mind this being provided and organised by Hyperion/AEON, who know best what is missing in the OS and what could possibly be developed through a third-party programmer based on a bounty incentive.

An example: the OS4 datatypes system is well behind MorphOS' Reggae - for instance, the sound datatype doesn't support streaming. We all know that, but nobody is doing anything about this. If there was an OS-centric bounty system, Hyperion would list a project "Adding streaming to the sound datatype", and if enough interest brings enough money, our favourites Fredrik Wikstrom or Chris Young could jump on it and give us what we need. Yes there is OpenAmiga.org for that but nobody is taking up any projects because, apparently, there's no motivation, which a bounty would perhaps provide.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@SSolie

I totally agree with you :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Fab

No i just launched the video in Owb with all enabled , where to configure the Overlay ? ...
The same i did with Mtube , but for sure Mplayer on Mos is better because better version compared with the old, buggy, crappy Mplayer of Os4 plus the Os4 isnt H264 accelerated :)

but i have this result using mTube a Qt app and for me an user what make the difference is the result :)

@SSolie

This is the right way + 1 kudos to you and the team

I just wanna say something about :
I know some (much) user Os4 who will prefer pay to AOs 20euro more but have a good browser 100% working and supported and with all the new browser plugin working in it (java, html5, flash wrapper etc etc)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tlosm

Why all of you call MPlayer for OS4 as crap ?
We have the MUI version and it's not so old nor slow, the oldest Reaction one isn't that bad aswell (quite similar can say) .. true that both of them are a bit buggy but they are almost 100% usable even on slow machines

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@samo79

because in 480p crash all time (i use the mui)
dont do this with all the other video resolution there is ok .
plus is very old version i think will be better make an updated one ;)
I send a pm from FB to Huno and i ask him if is possible to have an Mplayer Sdl optimized with his LibbostyGfx.libray for use the Gl too :P ...
Hope him will do this

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tlosm

Naa if you want a serious version don't waste your time with SDL, it will be unusable slow, this is the version we need to update

https://code.google.com/p/mplayer-amigaos/

Or just ask for an update of the Fab version ..

P.S.
480p videos doesn't crash here

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@samo79

you try on mtube?
i will try the generic ...probably is more stable.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tlosm

Of course i use MPlayer mostly everywhere and for any kind of video, with SMTube (where i can't use the Reaction version) i use the MUI one, while when i like to watch a video from OWB i prefer to use the Reaction version

Normally i use both in no particular order.. then still also DvPlayer but only for some specific videos of course (divx movie or classic mpeg) but this is another story

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
WHAT is Reaction mplayer?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Thematic

Mplayer with a reaction gui and not mui... You Will find it on os4depot

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlosm

No. You must mean the separate frontend by Daniel Westerberg.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »