Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Headlines

Register To PostTopic is Locked  

(1) 2 »
Ban the uploader
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Could the mysterious "uploader" be stopped from uploading stuff to OS4depot without the permission of the software author(s)? This has been discussed before, and he has apparently done it again with AmigaAMP now.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Re: Ban the uploader
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I hope he can't, because its me and few others. Uploader just make bunch of sw up2date on os4depot, to make users be happy, and do not worry about anything else.

amigaamp which in query is uploaded by me, because on os4depot version 3.5, while last one 3.7 and users will have 3.5 only. As well as there is no url to amigaamp page, so no one ever-ever will know that 3.7 done. Seems a bit unlogical to have 3.5 version on os4depot, and then ask for permission to upload 3.7. But sure, no probs if you sensitive about it, i can not touch amigaamp. Besides its password protected, so will just disappear from query.

Sure, sometime i (and someone else who upload it), can upload something which someone do not want to be uploaded (it was one time if i remember right, when codebench or so was uploaded), but in compare, there is bunch of another stuff which no one just care to upload and just say me "ok" when i upload it manually. Like those mui classes, codesets, openurls, stuff from Crhis and so on.

We can moan now "how he dare to upload it ! what a sucker ! he forget to ask permission !", but final result : users have all in one place, and if there 2 packages which should't be uploaded then there is not problem i assume in compare with another 100, which up2date now and which authors ok with it ? In end of all, there is password field. If one want to do everything yourself, just set a password.

Better just help me with proofreading one more new article, than checking upload query :) (i do it too, yes)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
There is a bug in AmigaAMP 3.7 which I have reported, and Thomas is (hopefully) working on a fix. Spreading the program on your own initiative only helps spread a version which the author may have wanted to fix first.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Ban seems a bit too harsh a treatment for someone who is simply trying to keep os4 depot up to date.

Surely a better solution is to engage the uploader in conversation about what is and isn't acceptable.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Ban seems a bit too harsh a treatment for someone who is simply trying to keep os4 depot up to date.

He persistently uploads software to which he has no right. It is not acceptable to upload *any* software to which the author hasn't given permission.

If a software author (or porter) wants to upload it they will. Many have good reasons for not doing so.

"Keeping Os4depot up to date" is not need nor acceptable.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Andy
Quote:

"Keeping Os4depot up to date" is not need nor acceptable.

Its it not need it for you, but need it for me, and bunch of other users who just go to os4depot and download all latest stuff. I do not want to jump over all kind of pages to find out latest stuff. Users will stick just with what os4depot have. Its already like this, and nothing to do with.

I upload all the time to which i have "ok" from authors: mui classes, all that sf auto build projects, stuff from Chris, and some others. Codebench and that amigaamp was mistakes.

No need for drama, really.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Well personally i agree that asking the original author before uploading anything would and is it the right procedure, but let's face the reality .. most devs just don't upload their files because they are "lazy" and nothing else !

Where is the problem to have all programs availible into a single or in a couple of central repositories (Aminet or OS4Depot) ?

Except alpha/beta software in testing is there anythings special that should force the devs to give their software only on their website ?

And also how many programs were losted because the authors never upload them in a common repository ?

There are many software (expecially for OS3) that were availible only from the website author's, and so with the time (and with the end of the site or with the low interest in Amiga coding of the person) we lost files, programs and site alltogheter !

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

ddni wrote:

I didn't mean banning a user account or something. What I meant was preventing whoever-the-person-is from handling unauthorized uploads.

I perfectly understand kas1e's point (and am sure of his good intentions) but there is a rather tricky boundary between providing a general benefit and doing unasked-for things.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trixie
Quote:

I perfectly understand kas1e's point (and am sure of his good intentions) but there is a rather tricky boundary between providing a general benefit and doing unasked-for things.

To say truth, the story about amigaamp is: i see that there was 3.6 and wasn't uploaded, then 3.7, and again. So i just think that author have forgot to upload it, and so just do it for him (as there already was previous version). While it of course not my deal to worry about sw done by others, i just know that users know os4depot only, and all what they have they have from os4depot only.

And of course, i need to contact with him before to do so. Its just when you do all the stuff fast, you sometime jump over the moments which will stop you to do all faster (i.e. writing mail, waiting answer, thinking that mail can die in the middle, someone lazy to answer , etc ,etc).

But sure, asking permission is must.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
To Everyone,
Never forget that legally (and to give respect to the author), upload of software, even "freeware" is not legal if done without the agreement of the author.
Even if the author will not attack you using law concerning this fact, asking him for the agreement to do this is better.
Doing thing "too fast" always leads to mistakes and error!

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I think that point has been taken already. First ask, then upload.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I think some objections arise because OS4Depot only allows one single version of any program, so that (for example) if author doesn't upload latest version due to a bug, and then someone else does without realising the bug, then the good version has been overwritten by the newer buggy version. But if two versions were allowed, then users could try both versions, and use whichever works best for them (e.g. maybe the bug doesn't affect them, but newer features is useful for them).

OTOH, I can understand OS4Depot wanting to avoid having 10 different versions of one program, as that isn't a good user experience.

I'd have thought there ought to be a way to have some kind of compromise, such as: Allowing two versions (only one of which would allow to be password protected, for the 'official' version, so that someone could always upload the latest version). EVEN BETTER: If there was official support for this, then the original author/uploader could mark that they don't want to allow third-party uploads, thus ensuring the author's wishes were followed.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
This is a useful discussion, one which I am sure will help reduce inappropriate uploading.
Is there a check question during the upload process to ask if the authors permission has been sought and gained?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
I think some objections arise because OS4Depot only allows one single version of any program, so that (for example) if author doesn't upload latest version due to a bug, and then someone else does without realising the bug, then the good version has been overwritten by the newer buggy version. But if two versions were allowed, then users could try both versions, and use whichever works best for them (e.g. maybe the bug doesn't affect them, but newer features is useful for them).

No, objections arise because people are uploading files without their owners permission. I'd be angry if someone uploaded one of my programs to any download website, even if I were about to do so myself.

If you want to upload something, then get the author's permission. Simply because something is available for free does NOT constitute permission.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
isn't the password meant to prevent exactly what's being discussed here? if the author does not want someone else to upload a file he defines a PW.
BTW, AmigaAmp 3.5 had a bug too, and when the author releases 3.8 and gives permission, kas1e can upload the new version and everybody is happy :)

edit: it's really shooting sparrows with guns here. Why would an author who spreads his software for free not want this to be spread further?

and please, what fuss are we making here? Os4depot was meant to be a central repository for software for "amiga NG". We are the same family here.. we spread things among us, or tiny community! Really, is it springtime testosterones !? :-O

Edited by Amigo1 on 2013/5/4 3:15:41
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Yes, happy with this new version who works very well for me and resolve some minor skins problems (at least for me).

I didn't was aware about it outside of OS4depot if Kas1e didn't upload it.

Please don't blame peoples who make something on Amiga (even if too much quickly)

Therefore thank you "uploader"

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
zzd10h : erm, I think you were aware of its release since I posted the new on Amiga-Ng.org (link )

Anyway, each author is entirely free of where he wants his software uploaded. Even if I think that OS4Depot is THE place to get software for OS4Depot, I do not agree with those who think that they can do what they want with other's software without asking permission.

Remember the ISO created recenctly ?

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
As this is a general discussion, it seems, not only about OS4depot, you have also to consider software whose autors can not be reached any mor (mail or other address in the fille to upload not oK, author does not respind because he does not want to be bothered for old programs he wrote, author died.
Conclusion: if you did reasonable effort, to get in touch and don't get an answer, you can upload non commercial software. Uploading is not using it (eg shareware)
If the author gets informed through an other path and wants the sofftware removed, he only has to contact the download site.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
:)) now i think its time to make a lawsuit :) Or repeat the same on 5 more pages :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
k-L :
Oops, I missed it.

Go to top

Register To PostTopic is Locked
(1) 2 »