Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
why text non-aligned ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Have that for all the time i use aos4: http://kas1e.mikendezign.com/temp/non_align.jpg

Not only in GR of course, but also in some other apps (like db101 for example).

The font i use in prefs/fonts for all "DejaVu Sans", just with different sizes.

I also tryed 2 more fonts: DejaVu Sans Mono and Courier: didn't help. I.e. font changes, but alignment still broken (i through test it by "use" button, but so far it should be enough as if intuition resets fine, then all should be ok, right?).

Did you know what exactly name of the field in the prefs:font, which take care about part which i show on screenshot ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: why text non-aligned ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

The font i use in prefs/fonts for all "DejaVu Sans", just with different sizes.

The "System default font" should always be set to a fixed width (i.e. non-proportional) font. The font requester for this setting AFAIK won't even list any other kinds of font to choose from.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Its because you use a non fixed width font, use a fixed width font to get the text aligned.

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
It happens in every program that use proportional fonts width.. you can use a text editor to see the differences between fixed fonts and proportional fonts...

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
That is annoying.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salas00
Quote:

The "System default font" should always be set to a fixed width (i.e. non-proportional) font. The font requester for this setting AFAIK won't even list any other kinds of font to choose from.

Tryed to change right now "system default font" field in the prefs:font. It show me all fonts. I currently have DejaVu Sans Mono 16, which is (by idea) fixed font ? I tryed "courier" which also should be fixed (right ?), and still the same. I do test it by "use" button, hope it make no difference and i should't save/reboot to make it works ..

edit: even tryed to "save/reboot" with "system default font = courier 15" : that areas in GR still non-aligned.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Started up Libreoffice writer (i am on an Ubuntu 12.4 machine) wrote this:

Iiiiiiiiii
mmmmmmmmmm

Marked the text and changed font first to courier and then DejaVu, courier was aligned and DejaVu was not.

If the two lines has the same lenght the font in use is fixed width.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
edit: even tryed to "save/reboot" with "system default font = courier 15" : that areas in GR still non-aligned.

Looks like GR dosnt use default font then.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Slayer
Question still valid: what exactly, on what and where, i need to change, to make text (let's say GR as on that example) looks aligned ? I tryed everything and every single change in prefs:font : nothing. Tryed bunch of different sizes and different fonts. With use and with save/reboot. All the time non aligned.

Can it be some fontconfig crap, or dunno , System:TypeManager maybe, or some magic ENV: ?

Quote:

Looks like GR dosnt use default font then.

None of you use GR ? For all of you it all the time non aligned ? What font it used if not default ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Think you need to contact the maker of GR to find out what font is used and how to change it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all
Have anyone aligned text exactly in GR ? I have the same problem with db101, but when i ask Alfkil why, he says that for him its all aligned all the time. What mean its can be my system settings somethere related to font.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yes GR text IS aligned here.

I think your problem is very likely to be due to the theme used, which is overiding the system font prefs. Try changing the Workbench theme back to default and see if that cures the problem?

It almost certainly will!

If you wish to continue using SilverGreen theme, you'll have to search for the font prefs within the theme?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Lemen

Yep ! Once i change to default theme , then text in GR aligned !

And what is funny, my prefs:font settings still the same as previosly ! What mean, that this "default-default-font" didn't changes from prefs:font by some reassons, but instead, its some env somethere or so..

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
There will be a font pref set in the theme itself which takes priority over the system font prefs. You should be able to find the setting within the theme and change the font to the one you want.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Lemen

All what i find now, is: sys:prefs/presets/Default/Font.prefs

Which have at top "FORM" (so iff), and in which i see visually those fonts is used:

DejaVu Sans Obligue.font
DejaVu Sans Mono.font
DejaVu Sans.font

Then i go to SilverGree theme, and there is no font.prefs file, but instead i find out in the gui.prefs file few fonts:

DejaVu Sans.font
DejaVu Sans Condtended Bold.font

Did it mean that in prefs:gui there is font settings which are preffered over prefs:font ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Did it mean that in prefs:gui there is font settings which are preffered over prefs:font ?

Exactly.
You'll need to edit the gui.prefs file for the SilverGreen theme, and set the font you want to use.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Lemen

Strange through, as i can't find out in the prefs:gui anything about "global font which have priority".

But its already mess, if prefs:font is not for all the fonts in the system, and its not high priority. But for that at least i can make a BZ later or so, now just need to find out that settings in the prefs:gui which set necessary font. Maybe even just a simply option some-there

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all
Find out. Unlogical a lot.

It is in the prefs:gui/gadgets/general. There is "Gadgets" submenu, in which 3 entrys: normal, small and label fonts. So, "Normal" is handle all that "system default" strings. And in GR, and in DB101.

For me it looks really very strange. I mean we have prefs:font, which is not change all the fonts ! Instead, there is some strange settings in GUI, which by changing font for gadgets, change some of the fonts which should be changable from prefs:font. I.e. it like prefs:font not handle everything, or, it is, but still there is some priority set to those unlogical settings in gui. true mess :)

Maybe its just problems of GR and DB101, that they used font which should be used for gadgets only, while they should use some "system" default font ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all
If anyone care for future, there is name of some nice fixed font which looks more or less fine together with silver-green/DejaVus: "INCONSOLATA".

Thats how it looks like: screen

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Maybe I'm wrong, but a lot of the so-called "GUI" preferences (including the three fonts you found there) are more or less preferences for the Reaction GUI sub system. And those are of course *not* the same as the general font preferences you'll find in Prefs/Font.

Of course this is confusing, but it's exactly the same concept for MUI as well. Go to MUI prefs and you'll find a myriad of singular font preferences throughout every obscure single class installed. Even worse than "GUI" prefs. Both are another part of our legacy, *sigh*.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »