Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: USB audio
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Well I was not the coder on those drivers, so I can't say why there was not finished.

And I do no longer work on the Serion stack so I can't really say.

“The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.”
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
LyleHaze wrote: Quote:

At this time, Isochronous transfers are not supported in OS4.
So, it is not currently possible to write a Audio Class compatible driver for OS4.

At the time of writing, I believed this to be correct information.

I was wrong.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
And by this you mean???
Someone fixed Isochronous transfer for os4????

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Lyle you are a tease!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Antique wrote:
And by this you mean???
Someone fixed Isochronous transfer for os4????

When I am wrong, I'll admit it. Even though the information I gave was the best knowledge I had at the time.

Personally, as an avid supporter of Music on the Amiga, I have wanted support for USB Audio for a LONG time. And I have said at least a dozen times that if ISO transfers are ever supported, I would gladly write the audio driver myself. (I think it would make a nice match for my existing USB MIDI driver)

Since that post was made, I found out that there is some limited support for ISO transfers, and that this support was added some time ago, but never fully tested.

I can tell you that two of us have successfully recorded and played back audio through USB.. and that further development is planned, AFTER I complete what is in front of me right now.

More details are coming, keep an eye on Trevors blog for more info.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
That's fantastic!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
This really interesting stuff this was missing for web cam support also.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

broadblues wrote:
Lyle you are a tease!

True enough, but that wasn't my intent.

I don't do public announcements with nearly the grace and style of some others, so I play in binary mode, and let Trevor handle the ASCII content.

Trevors Blog

But as I stated twice before. I gave a wrong answer, and I thought it a good idea to own up to it. Mis-information is not good for our community, and I try very hard to keep it as straight as possible. If it weren't for the want to correct my error, I would have just let it all rest until Trevors blog published.

If anyone is interested, there is some further information at the link posted above.

Now back to the compiler for me...

Lyle

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have a Creative XMod that I could test with if/when you get decide to make the driver work with the Sam460. The XMod has a volume knob on it if you were to implement that feature.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
We can find out if it's class compatible any time you'd like.
Just check your PMs.

Lyle

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Graffias79
I have a few of these, thay are excellent, it would be great if they got supported.

ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Lyle -

Thanks for all the wonderful work you are doing with audio on OS4.

Cheers!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Lyle
@Trevor

Wow, great news and great additions ahead

Thanks for sharing

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Nice progress Lyle! Thanks.
You just secured your spot in the AmigaOS first team. ;)

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
No luck just yet with Xmod, but still trying things!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
If you get "No suitable recording device found\n", then it's game over, device not class compatible. It MAY also fail if on an unsupported USB type.. since ISO transfers are not supported across the board.. but we know that native X1000 and SAM ports should be OK.

I just played with the alternate setting option, and it may be broken.

But for those who were successful in the past, a line like
USB_Audio_Test r ram:soundfile p ram:soundfile
should record about five seconds, then play it back for you.

It is a VERY early test tool, but it will at least confirm class compatibility.

Edited by LyleHaze on 2013/2/27 6:05:43
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I got no error message, it just created a file according to the filename specified in the command but the file had 0 bytes.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
So for the time being no chance to see a working driver for USB headsets? I have a Trust 5.1 USB Headset.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Cass wrote:
So for the time being no chance to see a working driver for USB headsets? I have a Trust 5.1 USB Headset.

Correct. I plan on finishing the X1000 audio driver before pursuing this further.
Once work on USB audio continues, the USB audio driver will only work on devices that are "Class Compatible". This means they followed the standard for operation instead of making their own format and procedures.
It also depends on the type of USB chip that you are communicating through, though we are known-good with the X1000 and SAM-FLEX (probably all SAMs, testing continues) native USB ports.

I am just beginning to gather data on what works and what does not. It looks like the "Creative XMod" and "Blue Snowball Microphone" do not work (not class compatible), and the "TTUSB turntable" and "Diamond Sound Tube" are working well. There is also a monophonic headphone set that worked, but I never got the name. Last night I also found out that with a slight file modification, I can play back recordings made over USB with the AHI Audio:device quite simply. This makes sound playback as easy as "copy soundfile AUDIO:B/16/C/2/F/48000" for playback of a 16 bit stereo recording. Nice touch.

If you, or anyone, wants to determine if your device is "Class Compatible", there are two options: You can plug it into your Amiga and use sys:utilities/USBInspector. If it shows up there as "Audio Class, Subclass 2" (probably more than once) then it is likely to work. I also have a small program that will attempt to record and play back that you may use for testing. Just PM me with your E-Mail address if you'd like to give it a try.

Lyle

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Graffias79,
If it said "Recording.." then it IS a class compatible device.
The problem is probably due to the "limited" support we have right now for Audio transfers on the USB bus.

Please allow me to explain:
The current USB stack has three different internal "handlers", which are selected depending on whether the device is USB1 or USB2, and also depending on what kind of USB chipset you have, and possibly what kind of Hub you are using. (it's a bit of a riddle to me)

So, the three current options are "OHCI", "EHCI", and "UHCI". I'm pretty sure I got them in the wrong order. At this time, only one of the three supports Isochronous transfers, which are required for Audio work. (you might recall from our previous discussion)

So, depending on what you plug in, and what you plug it into, we may or may not be able to transfer audio data. This sounds like the most likely cause for your zero file length problem.

So far, we know that the built-in ports on an X1000 WILL work. we know that the built-in ports on a SAM-Flex WILL work, and we know that the builtin ports on an XE WILL NOT work. But it also might have something to do with whether your device is 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0.. We don't yet have all the details.
A PCI card with a NEC chipset should also work.

I must be clear.. the "limited" support for ISO transfers was pretty much untested until a few weeks ago. Now that this tool is available for testing, we MIGHT get more support for ISO transfers in the future, But right now our USB team is busy working on USB3 (XHCI), and that is WAY more important!

So, your device IS class compatible, and given what I described here it may be supported in the future, but not at this time.

Thanks for testing!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »