Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Will IBrowse v2.5 ever be released?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Folks,

Having seen the PowerPC-native beta build of IBrowse v2.5 at AmiWest a few months ago, I'm very eager for this to actually be released to the public. I'd be happy to pay for it, despite a lack of CSS2 support. The speed is just terrific.

I understand the hold-up thus far has been one of the developers on the original team. Is this still the case? Has the team given up on ever releasing this version to the public?

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Re: Will IBrowse v2.5 ever be released?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
That is still the situation, There has been an awful lot of work done on 2.5 (I betatest it and it's been rock solid for me), Oliver has not given up on releasing it, but the final descision as to when/where/how is down to Stefan Burström when he can finally be cornered to give an answer.

Maybe "Two Weeks"

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
...but the final descision as to when/where/how is down to Stefan Burström when he can finally be cornered to give an answer.

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." - Grace Hopper

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
To me it seems that ibrowse has been dead for long time. And it's really sad as i believe many would have paid for this nice software, if they would make it more modern.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:
"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." - Grace Hopper

best. philosophy. ever.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Not releasing IB is just insane. I still don't get it even after many years.....

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I appreciated IBrowse in the '90 but today, honestly, I don't see how can I use it for an everyday use.. It doesn't support CSS and all the website now are css based..

For me OWB MUI is the evolution of IBrowse, MUI Interface and all that IBrowse do not have..

Please, keep in mind, that I have the registered version of IBrowse as I bought it back in time..

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
IBrowse is so hopeleely out of date with web technology, I don't really see it's release as anything to write home about. Time and money is better spent on Timberwolf, where there are good chances of getting something from this decade.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
68k Ibrowse is my main browser on AOS4 HW.
It is the fastest for me and sites like AW, os4depot, aminet.net, etc. works fully with it. I could pay for even faster native PPC version.

btw. it would be nice to have option to open some link to MUIOWB, netsurf or TW from IB.

btw. does amigans.net work fully on 68k Amiga?

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
If it's stable just release it :)
I doubt that i would use a ppc version much on my peg2 but maybe in the future as i plan to buy os4.1 for my classic and i'm quite sure that owb would feel quite slow on that hw. I mainly surf amigaforums so ibrowse works quite well for me.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@KimmoK

Just do a custom FAB entry in the Page section either run owb and chuck it a url (%U) or use an arexx script...

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thread

a few posters have asked, 'why bother,' given the availability of more modern browsing solutions. the reason is simple: raw speed. i'm used to commodity hardware running solaris or linux during much of the day, so the speed difference when hopping on my pegasos2 at home is very noticeable.

ibrowse is fast, very fast. and since i tend to limit much of my browsing to amiga-related sites on my NG machines, it is still very useful indeed. timberwolf is fine if you have an X1000. on anything less i've tried so far i would go so far as to say it was so slow as to be unusable. MUIOWB is very nice, but scrolling speed is poor and the interface just 'feels' sluggish. OWB is great, but slow in rendering, and netsurf is terrific and fast, but no javascript support.

so if i want raw speed, ibrowse is the way to go. the powerpc-native build i played with at amiwest is blazin' and the REXX interface plus its easy-to-customize interface makes a very compelling combination.

i think if stefan wanted it released, he could just say, 'yeah, go ahead' to oliver's frequent requests. i guess the answer is that it will never be released, which is a darn shame for both the users and the few developers who put so much (unpaid) time and energy into it.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@eliyahu

Ibrwose may be nippy but Aweb is faster

AmigaOS4 friendly version has been on os4depot.net for while now....

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
timberwolf is fine if you have an X1000. on anything less i've tried so far i would go so far as to say it was so slow as to be unusable.

Timberwolf isn't *supposed* to be fast at the moment, given it is almost entirely unoptimised. But that says nothing about what it will be like when it is optimised.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
Timberwolf isn't *supposed* to be fast at the moment, given it is almost entirely unoptimised. But that says nothing about what it will be like when it is optimised.

understood. no criticism was meant; i was simply pointing out that as it exists today, it is painfully slow. in any case ibrowse 2.5 will most likely never be released anyway, but i was hoping maybe someone around here had better insight as to why and if the situation could be changed.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I do still use IBrowse (besides LuiOWB) & love some features not met elsewhere;
- speed as more have noted
- cache & cache browser perrmitting to view and do searches offline

which is interesting also when you do a lot of research in some domain (eg buy a new monitor) You don't want to lose time keeping the URL's as bookmarks and you don't need to: you can see them in cache

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
when it is optimised.

I don't know the future so I would say: "if it will be optimised"

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Rigo wrote:
Time and money is better spent on Timberwolf, where there are good chances of getting something from this decade.

The Problem is, I can't currently run Timberwolf.
I have to re-save the appdir entry, and bookmarks don't work on my A1XE-G3 800.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Elwood wrote:
@ChrisH

Quote:
when it is optimised.

I don't know the future so I would say: "if it will be optimised"

I am not quite sure why you felt this comment was necessary to be honest.
Hardware rendering is planned for Timberwolf once Gallium is ready, since there is an OpenGL-Based layer manager for Firefox. Trying to write a new one from scratch is quite a bit of work, prone to errors, and becomes outdated quickly.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Swoop wrote:
Quote:
Rigo wrote:
Time and money is better spent on Timberwolf, where there are good chances of getting something from this decade.

The Problem is, I can't currently run Timberwolf.
I have to re-save the appdir entry, and bookmarks don't work on my A1XE-G3 800.

I don't want to turn this thread into a Timberwolf bug report thread, so just as a heads-up, I hope you have reported this issue elsewhere.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »